• Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Well, if people in fast food get $15 an hour would people, like secretaries, making $15 an hour see their wages rise? That's a job that requires more skills and half the time they want you to have a degree as well. So, would everyone see their wages rise based on the idea that if you are currently making $15 or even $20 because your skills/job is deemed worth $x more than minimum will you get more if minimum wage increases and your job is valued at $x more? You can see the can of worms we are opening here....

Not likely to raise wages across the board. It has nothing to do with skills, schooling or experience. It's fast food workers that think they are getting a raw deal.

People in entry level positions feel they deserve the same quality of living as everyone else. They want to go straight to making the money necessary to live that life without putting in the time and money that someone in a more skilled trade or profession is making.

It's the feeling of entitlement that they feel.

Yeah, how dare they feel entitlement for food and a place to live. Next they'll be wanting heat in the winter time too!

In your world everyone should have the same home, the same wage and the same luxuries? You don't think people should have to put in some time and training to move forward?

Now you're implying that paying people a basic living wage is the same thing as Communism, which is ridiculous. Increasing the minimum wage isn't going to magically make higher paying jobs vanish. Of course more skilled, better educated, more experienced workers should expect higher paying jobs and therefore have access to more of life's luxuries. The two are in no way mutually exclusive and I think you know that.

We are not in disagreement. My argument was not against a living wage. My argument was once it passes and a living wage is given, the argument for tipping is null.

There will be no need for tipping.

There will be a lot of small businesses that will fail, however. Most smaller businesses are operating on such a small profit margin that, without the benefit of tipping to supplement their employee's income, the increased wages will cause higher prices and reduced manpower.

While everyone makes an argument for the minimum wage increase (which I am not opposed to) they fail to see how this benefits the bigger companies and hurts the small business. The Mom and Pop operation will not be able to survive.

You might want to go and have a read of this page which - among other things - directly addresses the suggestion that raising the minimum wage hurts small businesses (it doesn't).

As for tips, there are plenty of other developed nations around the world with a far higher minimum wage than us taking the purchasing power parity into account. People often still give tips in those countries, but if they don't, the waiter isn't going to starve or be evicted. Surely we can agree that is a good thing? You should be free to tip for good service if you wish and to leave no tip for poor service without feeling any sort of guilt because you know the service person is being paid an absolute pittance.

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Glad we got a good discussion out of this and it DID make me think, however it's all moot for me.

I will be retiring in a couple years. I'm glad I struggled through the 70's and 80's. Made me appreciate what I have now. The years of "not having" made me work hard and put away money that I will be able to retire on comfortably.

When minimum wage is increased to $15, I will stop tipping.

Take Care. I gotta go research a new topic that will get everybody's panties in a bunch.
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member

Yeah, how dare they feel entitlement for food and a place to live. Next they'll be wanting heat in the winter time too!
    [/quote]

In your world everyone should have the same home, the same wage and the same luxuries? You don't think people should have to put in some time and training to move forward?

[/quote]

I think the idea is more of a reasonable starting point. Enough so that they can have food, health care, utilities, etc, (not "luxuries"), without having to sacrifice one for the other during any given month.