Is not doing cardio worn like a badge on honor for you?

Options

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Sounds fun, where do I sign up ?

LOL- well I'm in the dirty jersey currently- so probably not any time soon- but when I visit CA- we'll throw down!!! :D

My only caviot is we hit the road on bikes and head for the hills for the final test
    I'll the bring the life boat to navigate those deep puddles. :wink:

I would seriously die- I remember biking back in college- and I had to walk up the hell- for some reason- despite all my quad strength I have ZERO drive- its' like instant burning and murder. I'm pathetic.

Funny how that works out some times :)

On a side note... I am used to being humbled by chicks out ridding, It's a cruel sport. LMAO
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »

LOL- well I'm in the dirty jersey currently- so probably not any time soon- but when I visit CA- we'll throw down!!! :D

My only caviot is we hit the road on bikes and head for the hills for the final test

I would seriously die- I remember biking back in college- and I had to walk up the hell- for some reason- despite all my quad strength I have ZERO drive- its' like instant burning and murder. I'm pathetic.

On a side note... I am used to being humbled by chicks out ridding, It's a cruel sport. LMAO

well. it wouldn't be me heh- not be a stretch. I still log 15 minutes of jogging as cardio ;)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    scottb81 wrote: »
    I think going 100% for 20 seconds 10 or 15 times...

That's not even physically possible. The only way to do something "10 or 15 times" in rapid succession is if you're NOT "going 100%".

The "100%" doesn't refer to the person's "this is what it feels like" level, it's about what the body is actually doing. And even the bodies of very well trained athletes don't have 100% left to give after a handful of genuinely all-out efforts.
    I think the percentages referenced were HR zones.

I don't know about 10-15 times, but when I do 200 meter all-out sprints I get my HR to 100% (or "more") every time.

HR isn't the right measure - it's >100% of V02 max that the "all out" needs to be hitting. The oft-cited Tabata protocol, for example, has trainees hitting >150% V02max.

The challenge with most exercisers is they don't know their actual HRmax. And HRmax isn't even constant - it can change with fitness level. From what I've seen, most un-coached people aren't getting very close to their maximum output, even though it feels like they're working their butts off.

And this is ignoring the reality that you already need to be quite fit to even think about hitting HRmax, short of being chased by a guy in a goalie mask wielding a chainsaw.
    None of this is even relevant. Someone was talking about the relative difficulty of a 20 minute sustained effort of nearly the same amount as a quick all-out burst of 30 seconds.

As soon as "all out" is in the discussion, it becomes relevant. It's impossible to even compare the two unless an objective measure is put in place - which also means its impossible to compare the two unless you're talking about an individual who can actually do both.

You're saying someone cannot push as hard as they can? Do you live in an alternate universe where tautologies are false?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    people enjoy different things. I enjoy cardio and the weight machines - so i do them both- more cardio than weights.

some people do heavy lifting

some people do yoga

some people dont do anything

do what works for you, and what you like. It's not a competition.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

That's not even physically possible. The only way to do something "10 or 15 times" in rapid succession is if you're NOT "going 100%".

The "100%" doesn't refer to the person's "this is what it feels like" level, it's about what the body is actually doing. And even the bodies of very well trained athletes don't have 100% left to give after a handful of genuinely all-out efforts.

I don't know about 10-15 times, but when I do 200 meter all-out sprints I get my HR to 100% (or "more") every time.

HR isn't the right measure - it's >100% of V02 max that the "all out" needs to be hitting. The oft-cited Tabata protocol, for example, has trainees hitting >150% V02max.

The challenge with most exercisers is they don't know their actual HRmax. And HRmax isn't even constant - it can change with fitness level. From what I've seen, most un-coached people aren't getting very close to their maximum output, even though it feels like they're working their butts off.

And this is ignoring the reality that you already need to be quite fit to even think about hitting HRmax, short of being chased by a guy in a goalie mask wielding a chainsaw.
    None of this is even relevant. Someone was talking about the relative difficulty of a 20 minute sustained effort of nearly the same amount as a quick all-out burst of 30 seconds.

As soon as "all out" is in the discussion, it becomes relevant. It's impossible to even compare the two unless an objective measure is put in place - which also means its impossible to compare the two unless you're talking about an individual who can actually do both.

You're saying someone cannot push as hard as they can? Do you live in an alternate universe where tautologies are false?

He is saying most people cannot push as hard as their physical maximum their body is actually capable of. Most untrained people will give up because they only *think* they topped out when in reality they could actually go harder
  • glevinso
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What's more fun is playing a game of flag football with some of them and watching them gas out after a few plays.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

conversely do you make fun of an endurance athelete who comes in to lift and isn't strong enough to squat 185- or even 135?

You can't give someone a hard time for not being good at something they don't train.

That's just asinine.

One of these day's, maybe during a rest week, I'll go into the weight room here and do a few squats. I am curious now what I can do. Before I started doing triathlon I was squatting 300. Now? I am sure it would be a joke :)

You can come squat with me- I won't judge... then we can go to the bike room and you can watch me literally melt into a puddle of despair in a matter of 25 minutes on the bike.

Sounds fun, where do I sing up ?
    What's more fun is playing a game of flag football with some of them and watching them gas out after a few plays.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 yeLars and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

conversely do you make fun of an endurance athelete who comes in to lift and isn't strong enough to squat 185- or even 135?

You can't give someone a hard time for not being good at something they don't train.

That's just asinine.

One of these day's, maybe during a rest week, I'll go into the weight room here and do a few squats. I am curious now what I can do. Before I started doing triathlon I was squatting 300. Now? I am sure it would be a joke :)

You can come squat with me- I won't judge... then we can go to the bike room and you can watch me literally melt into a puddle of despair in a matter of 25 minutes on the bike.

My only caviot is we hit the road on bikes and hit the hills for the final test

Jersey? Hell... my next Ironman race is in Atlantic City...

<---- That profile pic was taken in Princeton at the NJ State Tri in 2011

well if you're passing through the trenton/princeton area- give a holler- I'm all about me some coffee chats.

Not to self: Must visit Trenton/Princeton area.

hysterically I ment to type /Philly area but yes that too. all the things. same area- it's pretty close. AC isn't that close- it's well over an hour away- but the side up against Philly is mostly close to me.

I am on the other side of the river about a 30-40min west of Philly. Lots of hills to ride here. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I'm saying that there are multiple definitions of "as hard as they can" - objective ones and subjective ones. Not all of them mean the same thing, not all of them amount to the same thing, and they most definitely result in different outcomes, depending on the training regimes.

I'm also saying that, for most people, until they are already quite fit they don't even know what "as hard as they can" really means, other than as a subjective perception that has minimal relevance to fitness outcomes.

Nor should they - you can't safely go that hard until your body is quite fit.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    For me, I hate cardio but will do it when it is combined with other strengthening activities like in tabata and circuit training. I find it so boring to run (and my boobs are too big for that nonsense...even with two sports bras on.) I have a brother in-law and his wife who think running and other cardio is the end all be all and I'm over here like nope, I lost 135 pounds and look good and I've only done cardio when it's part of an all inclusive training session.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

well. it wouldn't be me heh- not be a stretch. I still log 15 minutes of jogging as cardio ;)

And yet only a fool would doubt your fitness.
  • JoRocka
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That's just asinine.

Sounds fun, where do I sing up ?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 yeLars and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That's just asinine.

My only caviot is we hit the road on bikes and hit the hills for the final test

Jersey? Hell... my next Ironman race is in Atlantic City...

<---- That profile pic was taken in Princeton at the NJ State Tri in 2011

well if you're passing through the trenton/princeton area- give a holler- I'm all about me some coffee chats.

Not to self: Must visit Trenton/Princeton area.

hysterically I ment to type /Philly area but yes that too. all the things. same area- it's pretty close. AC isn't that close- it's well over an hour away- but the side up against Philly is mostly close to me.

I am on the other side of the river about a 30-40min west of Philly. Lots of hills to ride here. :)

Oh you're super close then! nice.
    And yet only a fool would doubt your fitness
    <blush> why thank you kind sir- that's very VERY generous of you.
  • annh7
    annh7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think all exercise, whatever shape or form is great, as long as we're moving, it's all good.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

I'm saying that there are multiple definitions of "as hard as they can" - objective ones and subjective ones. Not all of them mean the same thing, not all of them amount to the same thing, and they most definitely result in different outcomes, depending on the training regimes.

I'm also saying that, for most people, until they are already quite fit they don't even know what "as hard as they can" really means, other than as a subjective perception that has minimal relevance to fitness outcomes.

Well, I was the one that made the statement and at the time, 2 years ago, I was running up to 100 mile training weeks, so maybe I was quite fit, and I measured my effort over those races with a HRM, and I know the max my HR ever reached in that time period, so maybe I do know what I'm talking about.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Are you saying that the only people you see acting proud about it are only about their looks or are you saying that all lifters you see doing just weights and no cardio are only about their looks?

I don't think I proposed that well. I see people who strictly weight lift and would say cardio is useless are about lifting for lifting sake (or seem to end up that way) and that is their goal - lifting more to be bigger or look muscular and fit as their goals. It isn't a slam to anyone who just lifts.

I lift for the love of lifting, so I suppose I would fall into that category (I only weight lift). Not sure how that is different to someone who loves running marathons etc. Lifting is absolutely not necessarily only about being bigger or looking more muscular or fit.

I have never seen anyone (or cannot recall anyone) saying that cardio is useless, even if they do not do it themselves.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Well, I was the one that made the statement and at the time, 2 years ago, I was running up to 100 mile training weeks, so maybe I was quite fit, and I measured my effort over those races with a HRM, and I know the max my HR ever reached in that time period, so maybe I do know what I'm talking about.

This stopped being about you a long time ago. :smile:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options

I was just responding to the statement that HIIT is that hardest thing you can possibly do. It's not. I will agree though that maybe to an untrained person it is since they haven't developed the capacity to do or even imagine something harder.

• JoRocka
    Options

I was just responding to the statement that HIIT is that hardest thing you can possibly do. It's not. I will agree though that maybe to an untrained person it is since they haven't developed the capacity to do or even imagine something harder.

I think it's unreasonable to compare exercises and say one is harder than another- they are difficult in their own ways if you fully commit to what you are trying to do.

I think it's a little silly to say 15 minutes of hiit - no matter HOW miserable it is- is nearly as grueling as a 5 hour long marathon.

While 15 minutes of HIIT is unquestionably hard- the sheer duration of time in a marathon and the amount of training required to go into that I think would out weigh the 15 minutes of HIIT... even if you were puking by the time you were done.

But I'ts just not realistic to blanketly call ONE way harder- it's all a matter of what you're conditioned for.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Havent gone through all the pages of this thread but i dont have a problem telling or being seen doing cardio at the gym. Sometimes i go and only do cardio and dont care if im seen by the regulars who see me weight training most of the time. I do it for heart/cardio health and for calorie burn if its needed.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015
    Options

I was just responding to the statement that HIIT is that hardest thing you can possibly do. It's not.

I agree with that! :drinker:

I will agree though that maybe to an untrained person it is since they haven't developed the capacity to do or even imagine something harder.

• Mr_Knight
    Options
    But I'ts just not realistic to blanketly call ONE way harder- it's all a matter of what you're conditioned for.

Agree with that, too!

:drinker:
  • glevinso
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Havent gone through all the pages of this thread but i dont have a problem telling or being seen doing cardio at the gym. Sometimes i go and only do cardio and dont care if im seen by the regulars who see me weight training most of the time. I do it for heart/cardio health and for calorie burn if its needed.

It's an image thing? Is THAT what this is about?