Is not doing cardio worn like a badge on honor for you?

Options

Replies

• 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    Can I just get my cardio from sex, and call it good?

^^This^^ :wink:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

So when can we meet for some exercise?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It seems like many weight lifters are proud of the fact that they do little or no cardio exercise? Why is this?

I enjoy riding as much as I enjoy being in the weight room, so I do cardio...but I have a couple of friends that are into body building and they do very little, particularly when bulking. They spend the majority of their time in the weight room....far more time than I do...and in speaking with them, they don't like doing cardio because that just makes them have to eat even more to bulk and they have a hard time as it is...having done a bulk myself, I can kind of attest to that.

Those guys tend to do not much more than some walking, except when they cut they tend to do a bit more cardio, at least from my observation.

Beyond that, I think a lot of people just don't like cardio...as a matter of general fitness, I highly recommend doing some, but at the same time it isn't really necessary either...you can get a good workout for your heart lifting weight...I can attest to that as well as my primary lifts are Olympic and that's usually the first 20-30 minutes of my lifting session and my HR is flying.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I understand not doing "traditional" cardio, like jogging or cycling, but there must be some form of cardio or conditioning for a program to be complete imo.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »

Ideally cardio needs to be done for more than two minutes. Unless you practice HIIT in the bedroom. ;)

LOL

Sometimes it HIIT, and most other times its LISS (long periods of time)

Tabata sex. She's a lucky lady. ;)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    From what I have understood by reading comments so far those who don't do cardio get bored by it.

Well if I get bored of something and if I don't enjoy doing it why in the world would I go around recommending it to others.

EDTA : Typo

**playing devil's advocate**

Because it's still good for you. I don't like going to the dentist, but I still go. I don't like doing dishes, but I do them. I don't like folding laundry, but I still do it.

Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean there isn't value in doing it.

Lifting improves VO2max.

I'm sure it does. But I'm also sure that the adaptations from lifting are not the same as those from running which are not the same as those from swimming which are not the same as those from >>insert exercise here<<.

My only point was that not enjoying something is not sufficient reason to dissuade others from doing it.

And there you go....

So then what form of cardio should one do?

People don't need to do cardio if they don't want to.....
    If they like it, then go ahead. If not, then why do it?

If my heart can be strong and healthy from lifting, then I will do that......

Like you said, adaptation for whatever your goal is.

Completely agree. What you do or don't do, whether we're talking cardio, lifting, mobility, diet, etc., should be based on your goals first and preferences second. If you don't want to do something and have no reason to do it based on your goals, then don't.

I can't tell if people are arguing because they are emotionally invested in whatever they believe, if people are just picking out phrases/statements to pick a fight over, or if they are actually trying to be unbiased and helpful. I include myself in this when I say "people".
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    It seems like many weight lifters are proud of the fact that they do little or no cardio exercise? Why is this?

The only lifters I see doing this are ONLY about how they look. It is not about athletic performance or other goals, and they can achieve the results they want without cardio. Personally, it is missing the complete fitness pictures IMHO. Same as the cardio nuts out there who do not do any lifting. But to each their own.

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Ideally cardio needs to be done for more than two minutes. Unless you practice HIIT in the bedroom. ;)

LOL

Sometimes it HIIT, and most other times its LISS (long periods of time)

Tabata sex. She's a lucky lady. ;)

Bwahahahaha..... :smiley:
  • aobuchanan
    aobuchanan Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    High intensity interval cardio has been proven to be more effective that steady stay cardio. however it takes less time. It is more difficult. I think weight lifters are generally the type of people that spend so much time in diet and exercise that a lot of steady stay cardio would cause them to have to cut out on some of the stuff they love most, lifting and strength training. So why not use a more time efficient proven way to get the cardio done that does not involve hours of cardio, but is scientifically proven to be the most effective? I don't think weight lifters avoid cardio any more than cardio enthusiasts avoid lifting, Just sayin' ! Why would they want to lift, when all they want to do is run, and visa versa? why does it have to be a problem? To each his own. Do what you love and be happy. There is no One right way to do it. One is not better than the other. It's about what gets you the results you want and what makes you happy. Or else, what is it all for anyway? Happy lifting and happy trails. :)
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

So when can we meet for some exercise?

Lol! Don't tempt me Max.... :wink:
    At least that would be cardio I could enjoy!!

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »

The only lifters I see doing this are ONLY about how they look. It is not about athletic performance or other goals, and they can achieve the results they want without cardio. Personally, it is missing the complete fitness pictures IMHO. Same as the cardio nuts out there who do not do any lifting. But to each their own.

Lifting anything would be expressly counter to my goals. I neither need, nor want, extra muscles just to "look good". I accept the fact that I am a scrawny twig, and that is fine because the less I weigh the faster I can go for longer. I stopped caring what I look like ages ago.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Personally, I really enjoy doing both. Cardio really, really sucks when it gets hard, but the elation after breaking a goal is awesome.

My personal goal will take a couple of years to complete. I want to get down to at least 180, maybe even as low as 170 if I can manage it, then do a few slow bulk/cut cycles so I can pack on some lean muscle, and get to around 15% bf at around 180 - 190 at 6'1" all while keeping up on my cardio.

I would really like to be able to complete a marathon, but be functionally strong as well. My 33rd birthday is August 1st, and I feel as though a lot of this could be accomplished by the time I'm 35.

I guess my fitness mindset mimics my personality because I'm a staunch pragmatist. I find joy, and beauty in practicality rather than form. However, if I could get some form while maximizing that practicality, I would be extraordinarily happy.

Diet and lift (heavy stuff). :wink:

Most definitely, and without question. As soon as my shoulder heals within the next couple of months, I will start up weightlifting again. I screwed it up pushing too hard on my OHP gains a few months ago, and it's finally just starting to get back to normal, so I've only had cardio at my disposal.

I figure that I should be good to go on the lifting front by June, and will resume very slowly accordingly.

Diet is already in check, and I'm already down 50lbs since November. :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Lifting anything would be expressly counter to my goals. I neither need, nor want, extra muscles just to "look good". I accept the fact that I am a scrawny twig, and that is fine because the less I weigh the faster I can go for longer. I stopped caring what I look like ages ago.

Bradley Wiggins (Or Twiggins) is 6' 3". When he won the Tour de France, he was 118 lbs.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I think it probably comes from the Bro Mentality of lifting that cardio will create the polar opposite physique to what they are trying to achieve from weight training. I think they believe that cardio will give them the physique of a Kenyan Marathon runner (which obviously it wont, just in the same way lifting will not make you Arnold). Lifters (mainly men) spend so much time worrying about making gains, preserving gains, not going catabolic, fuelling their workout etc) that the cardio is almost seen as the antithesis of lifting and should be avoided. I personally like to keep my blood pressure, cholesterol and other vitals in check with cardio and probably lift more for vanity/strength/confidence etc. Just an opinion.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Bradley Wiggins (Or Twiggins) is 6' 3". When he won the Tour de France, he was 118 lbs.

And 93 of those lbs were in his quads...lol.

Also, I lift...and do a lot of cardio. I like cardio so I do it. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't do nearly as much.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Right. He was essentially a pair of tree trunks attached to the pedals and nothing more. Those guys gain a bunch of weight in the off season - they can't stay healthy otherwise.

As a triathlete I carry a bit more muscle load as I have to be able to swim, but beyond that I don't want anything extra to haul around the race course for 10+ hours.

Chris McCormack won in Kona in 2010 claiming to weight 175lbs, but pictures of him with his top unzipped revealed he was probably closer to 150-155lbs at 6'0"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What's more fun is playing a game of flag football with some of them and watching them gas out after a few plays.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

conversely do you make fun of an endurance athelete who comes in to lift and isn't strong enough to squat 185- or even 135?

You can't give someone a hard time for not being good at something they don't train.

That's just asinine.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    aobuchanan wrote: »
    High intensity interval cardio has been proven to be more effective that steady stay cardio. however it takes less time. It is more difficult. I think weight lifters are generally the type of people that spend so much time in diet and exercise that a lot of steady stay cardio would cause them to have to cut out on some of the stuff they love most, lifting and strength training. So why not use a more time efficient proven way to get the cardio done that does not involve hours of cardio, but is scientifically proven to be the most effective? I don't think weight lifters avoid cardio any more than cardio enthusiasts avoid lifting, Just sayin' ! Why would they want to lift, when all they want to do is run, and visa versa? why does it have to be a problem? To each his own. Do what you love and be happy. There is no One right way to do it. One is not better than the other. It's about what gets you the results you want and what makes you happy. Or else, what is it all for anyway? Happy lifting and happy trails. :)

Proven more effective for what?
    I don't necessarily find it more difficult. The hard effort is challenging but it is also short. I find mentally HIIT can be easier than a particularly long run at a lower but sustained effort.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Different people like different stuff and take pride in the things they do like/are good at?

No? Too simple a concept? Needs more ~Drama~?
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    The world needs brick layers as well as messengers.