Is not doing cardio worn like a badge on honor for you?

Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    From what I have understood by reading comments so far those who don't do cardio get bored by it.

Well if I get bored of something and if I don't enjoy doing it why in the world would I go around recommending it to others.

EDTA : Typo
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    It's too hard for most people to do and results don't necessary fit the commercial mode. There is also a misconception than one cannot build muscle from cardio, it just look different; whether that is appealing is a different matter.

Could you explain what you mean by the part in bold? Are you saying that cardio is too hard for most people? And what commercial mode? I don't know if it's just me* but I do not understand what you are saying.

* I had tea instead of coffee this morning and now think that coffee-delivered caffeine > tea-delivered caffeine.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    From what I have understood by reading comments so far those who don't do cardio get bored by it.

Well if I get bored of something and if I don't enjoy doing it why in the world would I go around recommending it to others.

**playing devil's advocate**

Because it's still good for you. I don't like going to the dentist, but I still go. I don't like doing dishes, but I do them. I don't like folding laundry, but I still do it.

Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean there isn't value in doing it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

Because it's still good for you. I don't like going to the dentist, but I still go. I don't like doing dishes, but I do them. I don't like folding laundry, but I still do it.

Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean there isn't value in doing it.

Lifting improves VO2max.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lord no. Good cardiovascular health is of the utmost importance.
    Does that mean the elliptical at the gym? Not necessarily. But it is VERY important. Not just for the number on the scale, not just for looking good naked and in the mirror.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I despise flossing. I floss. I recommend that others floss.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Why is it good for you?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Lifting improves VO2max.

I'm sure it does. But I'm also sure that the adaptations from lifting are not the same as those from running which are not the same as those from swimming which are not the same as those from >>insert exercise here<<.

My only point was that not enjoying something is not sufficient reason to dissuade others from doing it.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

Will flossing help with my gains? ;)
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I pretty much hate doing all of it lol. But I hate it when I DON'T do it. I am a cardio person more than a lifting person. But that's only because i'm scared to death to try and start lifting. One day though...I WILL!
  • runner475
    edited April 2015
    Options

I agree 100% cardio is the best thing for heart healthy and it has awesome benefits. It's the best gift given to mankind *** <~~~~ being biased ;) ***

However ...

The difference is if someone doesn't like going to dentist and everytime anyone talks about going to dentist if they going to say "I don't like dentist and his chair and I'll not recommend it. Well brush your teeth twice and floss and hope nothing happens in long run". I think that's fair enough.

People whom they are giving advice to should know better. Don't you think.

• krdews
    krdews Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My two cents (theory only)... I'd say TIME. If you get the results you want doing weights you will more than likely spend a great deal of your workout time doing exactly that and vice versa. Therefore, I get the results I want doing mainly cardio; so I spend the majority of my workout time doing cardio and I squeeze in weights when I can (not as often as I'd like since I know I need to balance both). So if I spend 75 min on elliptical trainer and take a 3 mi run on the treadmill - I'm done, not only am I physically tired, I'm tired of being inside the gym and I have no more time a 2 hr workout is plenty. So my theory is we spend the most time doing what we like. Before anyone says I should do strength training before my cardio - I know that and you can refer to my previous sentence.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Can I just get my cardio from sex, and call it good?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Lifting improves VO2max.

I'm sure it does. But I'm also sure that the adaptations from lifting are not the same as those from running which are not the same as those from swimming which are not the same as those from >>insert exercise here<<.

And? What else do I need from running or swimming or >>insert exercise here<< that I can't get from lifting?

Just because you don't enjoy ballet doesn't mean there isn't value in doing it.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Lifting improves VO2max.

My only point was that not enjoying something is not sufficient reason to dissuade others from doing it.

And there you go....

So then what form of cardio should one do?

People don't need to do cardio if they don't want to.....
    If they like it, then go ahead. If not, then why do it?

If my heart can be strong and healthy from lifting, then I will do that......

Like you said, adaptation for whatever your goal is.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    It's too hard for most people to do and results don't necessary fit the commercial mode. There is also a misconception than one cannot build muscle from cardio, it just look different; whether that is appealing is a different matter.

If you are referring to cardio being too hard for most people to do, then I would argue that you could also say the same thing about lifting.

It is unlikely that one would build muscle from doing cardio exclusively; it IS likely that they would shed the fat that is on top of any existing muscle, making it much more obvious.

• runner475
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »

Will flossing help with my gains? ;)

Yes!!! There are muscles in your mouth; they will see the gain.

Don't forget their CICO.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

Ideally cardio needs to be done for more than two minutes. Unless you practice HIIT in the bedroom. ;)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    One is those who think that running, or dancing or even cycling are not "manly" enough, and it is beneath them to actually do anythign with the word "cardio" in it. They believe cardio is something for people in shiny leotards and they will look like Jane Fonda if they ever try it by accident. Kind of the exact opposite from those who think that lifting anything heavier than a 1 lb dumbbell will transofrm them automatically into Hulk Hogan.
    This, I think, is why you see a lot more women than men in boot camp classes, Hi-Lo classes, cardio kickboxing, and the like. Men don't think that such exercises are manly enough. They are wrong.
    I'm a man and I don't do or avoid exercises based on whether I think they are "manly." I wouldn't do any of the above because 1-they sound boring as hell and B-why would I want to be around other people?

• MityMax96
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    MityMax96 wrote: »

Ideally cardio needs to be done for more than two minutes. Unless you practice HIIT in the bedroom. ;)

LOL

Sometimes it HIIT, and most other times its LISS (long periods of time)