Is not doing cardio worn like a badge on honor for you?

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Because it's trendy. Someone mentioned earlier that there is a pervasive myth that to get lean you have to cardio. I think the whole do no cardio thing started as a way to stop that notion, and with good intention, but now has become the cool thing to do/say.

Except that now you are implying that people who don't do cardio and only lift do that because it's "cool". I do as little cardio as possible because I absolutely hate it, not because it's the cool thing to do.

Right, but you don't run around yelling "LOOK AT ME, I DO NO CARDIO!!!"

The "badge of honor" thing the OP mentioned was, to me, more about the people who brag about it as if they are somehow better than everyone else.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Because it's trendy. Someone mentioned earlier that there is a pervasive myth that to get lean you have to cardio. I think the whole do no cardio thing started as a way to stop that notion, and with good intention, but now has become the cool thing to do/say.

Except that now you are implying that people who don't do cardio and only lift do that because it's "cool". I do as little cardio as possible because I absolutely hate it, not because it's the cool thing to do.

Right, but you don't run around yelling "LOOK AT ME, I DO NO CARDIO!!!"

The "badge of honor" thing the OP mentioned was, to me, more about the people who brag about it as if they are somehow better than everyone else.

I mention that I don't do cardio fairly often.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Some people spend soooo much time doing cardio, which I get if you are competing, but otherwise you can better use your time in the weight room and eat a little less.

That isn't the only reason someone would focus on cardio. As someone that has struggled with heart issues, my cardiologist encouraged more aerobic activity. After months of running, my heartbeat has strengthened.

That being said, I enjoy BOTH cardio and weight training. I think they are both worth the effort, for different reasons.

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    One is those who think that running, or dancing or even cycling are not "manly" enough, and it is beneath them to actually do anythign with the word "cardio" in it. They believe cardio is something for people in shiny leotards and they will look like Jane Fonda if they ever try it by accident. Kind of the exact opposite from those who think that lifting anything heavier than a 1 lb dumbbell will transofrm them automatically into Hulk Hogan.
    This, I think, is why you see a lot more women than men in boot camp classes, Hi-Lo classes, cardio kickboxing, and the like. Men don't think that such exercises are manly enough. They are wrong.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

No, that's not what he's saying. He's saying that some people take pride in not doing cardio because it's "cool." This is entirely different from not doing cardio because one dislikes it.

Or that it doesn't make sense given ones goals.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Some people spend soooo much time doing cardio, which I get if you are competing, but otherwise you can better use your time in the weight room and eat a little less.

That isn't the only reason someone would focus on cardio. As someone that has struggled with heart issues, my cardiologist encouraged more aerobic activity. After months of running, my heartbeat has strengthened.

That being said, I enjoy BOTH cardio and weight training. I think they are both worth the effort, for different reasons.

I got ya, but I am sure 30 minutes a day 3 days/week would have improved HR, you don't need 5-6 days/week 1-2 hours a pop
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I used to do only cardio (running 6x/week, marathons and ultras) but now I lift way more than I do cardio. I think they are both good and beneficial, and I don't think the cardio I do has reduced/killed any gains.

The heart is a pretty important muscle - I want mine to be fit like the rest of me! :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think that, whatever spin a lifter might want to put on it, bottom line is that it is a matter of time and energy. At least for many. If you are in the gym four or five days a week, and you are lifting hard, you're not going to feel like wasting what energy you have left going for a jog. Plus, you need some days off for recovery.
    I think of myself primarily as a runner. I like to lift. But I find that, particularly since I only have time to lift once or twice a week, that it really interferes with my running progress. There is only so much you can do.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Our heart and cardio vascular system health is critical to our fitness. Some people don't really want fit...they want "don't I look good"

Do not attack me for my post. You can disagree with my opinion without reposting me and without attacking me. Thank you.

How about if I just disagree with your premise that it's okay to tell people what to do.

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Not really a "badge of honor"....just doesn't fit well with my goals all the time.
    I just added back in my cardio this month, only cause I am getting ready for summer.....
    But doing cardio for me, isn't needed all that much
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I got ya, but I am sure 30 minutes a day 3 days/week would have improved HR, you don't need 5-6 days/week 1-2 hours a pop

True. I started small, lost a bunch of weight - and got good at it. Now I *do* run competitively. It's also extremely therapeutic to be outside, breathing in the fresh air of nature and has helped alleviate my anxiety & depression too. :)
  • MityMax96
    Options
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    cause loads of people are misinformed

This

No, not really "This"
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Personally, I really enjoy doing both. Cardio really, really sucks when it gets hard, but the elation after breaking a goal is awesome.

My personal goal will take a couple of years to complete. I want to get down to at least 180, maybe even as low as 170 if I can manage it, then do a few slow bulk/cut cycles so I can pack on some lean muscle, and get to around 15% bf at around 180 - 190 at 6'1" all while keeping up on my cardio.

I would really like to be able to complete a marathon, but be functionally strong as well. My 33rd birthday is August 1st, and I feel as though a lot of this could be accomplished by the time I'm 35.

I guess my fitness mindset mimics my personality because I'm a staunch pragmatist. I find joy, and beauty in practicality rather than form. However, if I could get some form while maximizing that practicality, I would be extraordinarily happy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    IF I could be healthy and fit without doing cardio, I definitely shun it because I normally despise doing it. And that's the usual view of someone who enjoys lifting much more than cardio. That's basically it. I do much more cardio now than before because my goals are much different than when I first started.
    If the bros at my gym feel they can get away with it, then that's fine. What's more fun is playing a game of flag football with some of them and watching them gas out after a few plays.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• MityMax96
    Options
    Personally, I really enjoy doing both. Cardio really, really sucks when it gets hard, but the elation after breaking a goal is awesome.

My personal goal will take a couple of years to complete. I want to get down to at least 180, maybe even as low as 170 if I can manage it, then do a few slow bulk/cut cycles so I can pack on some lean muscle, and get to around 15% bf at around 180 - 190 at 6'1" all while keeping up on my cardio.

I would really like to be able to complete a marathon, but be functionally strong as well. My 33rd birthday is August 1st, and I feel as though a lot of this could be accomplished by the time I'm 35.

I guess my fitness mindset mimics my personality because I'm a staunch pragmatist. I find joy, and beauty in practicality rather than form. However, if I could get some form while maximizing that practicality, I would be extraordinarily happy.

Diet and lift (heavy stuff). :wink:
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I do cardio (4 miles twice a week) because I enjoy it and I think it's important full heart health etc. I think that some lifters are proud of the fact that they have their diet so on point that they do not need to do much cardio in order to loose (cut) or create a deficit etc, which is great. They are disciplined enough to easily reduce cals or change macro's to loose weight and maintain muscle without resorting to cardio which they probably believe will make them catabolic. Also lifting can involve several rest days a week where as cardio on these days etc could slow down muscle recovery. Just an opinion.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It's too hard for most people to do and results don't necessary fit the commercial mode. There is also a misconception than one cannot build muscle from cardio, it just look different; whether that is appealing is a different matter.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I only lift in the winter...

Last summer I started walking, did some biking and a little swimming but kept lifting.

This summer walking, biking a little swimming maybe some running (gonna see if I still hate it after I quit smoking) but gonna keep lifting.

It's not a badge of honor to not do cardio...it's a dislike of cardio is most forms.

My "cardio" isn't for cardio it's for time alone, time with my husband and time to lazy by the pool...but doesn't mean I love doing cardio...but I do love heavy lifting.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Our heart and cardio vascular system health is critical to our fitness. Some people don't really want fit...they want "don't I look good"

Do not attack me for my post. You can disagree with my opinion without reposting me and without attacking me. Thank you.

:D It looks to me this is your signature.

B)