Do you need to lose 60 pounds too?

Options

Replies

• buttabean14
    Options
    I'd love to get in on this!! I weigh in first thing in the morning, but I don't record results until the end of the week.

I started on MFP a long time ago-almost a year ago actually-and my husband and I are getting close to the "let's start a family" stage. I'm wanting to get my weight down so I can ensure some healthy pregnancies. That, and I can't imagine getting much heavier than I am already-how much would that suck to be big AND pregnant??
  • Rhaeven
    Rhaeven Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh? Last week I weighed a day early on Friday and only lost like 0.6lbs but then my husband told me to wait a day and reweigh and sure enough, I lost 1.6lbs total for the week so 1 day made a whole lb difference.

How much sodium did you intake? That's my huge downfall, I retain water bad with sodium so I try to drink tons of water and I no longer salt my food and try to buy low sodium options when they're available to cut it down a little bit. I still go over MFP's set goal amount often but I'm aware of it and trying to take steps to change it so hopefully one day I'll be under more often than over :). Dang prepackaged foods are evil sodium monsters and boy do I love my cottage cheese (mega sodium.)

I weigh only on Monday mornings before eating/drinking and after using the bathroom. I also measured my waist for my BF when he was coming up with a food plan for me...so I have that measurement, I also took measurements of my arms and legs this morning. My waist measurement didn't change from a few weeks ago...pffftt.....:frown:

I could look at my sodium intake for this week, and its probably higher than what I normally have...but still should be low. I don't eat much in the way of packaged foods and I almost never add salt to my food. This past week was a bit different since I went out more than normal. Last night I also ate some tator tots and a few chicken strips so I'm sure my sodium was way high yesterday/last night. I also was not drinking as much water as normal this past week and that could play a very large part. AND of all things, I should be getting near that TOM and I always gain weight, like 5lbs...

I've been stuck at 220 for over a year, finally dropped below it and now am sitting at 219.2...kinda sad really. Hoping my BF (ex body builder/personal trainer) will have some other ideas for me as well. I am trying not to get majorly discouraged today, and that might be because I'm so tired after yesterday that its kinda bringing me down with the weight gain. However, I refuse to give up like times before....I've felt better and had much more energy in the last month than ever before...

I'll load up on water, eat my breakfast that I've skipped out on a few times this last week, and hope that this coming week moves goes much better.
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    Hey I'm at 219.2 too :). The lbs will come off, no worries!
  • Rhaeven
    Options
    Hey I'm at 219.2 too :). The lbs will come off, no worries!

Haha and such an odd number too :) Thanks!! I know they have to come off...I'm not starving myself, I'm eating healthy, I'm exercising....I will see some results.

@ Goo--Congrats on the pounds gone :) woo hoo!!!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have about 60 more to reach my goal.. I am hoping by the end of year I will be there
  • Mirlyn
    Options
    I have about 60 more to reach my goal.. I am hoping by the end of year I will be there

you can do it!
  • jbogo1
    jbogo1 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have 52lbs to lose still. Can I join?

My favorite part of MFP is the support from fellow users! It really helps A LOT!
  • Rhaeven
    Options
    I am determined to do much better today. I'm still way low on my water, only 40oz yesterday and then ended up eating some noodles that are loaded with sodium. Oh well. Today is a new day, hopefully less stressful and full of better food choices and more water. ick...tired of water. LOL

Hope everyone is doing good!
  • Mirlyn
    Options
    Welcome!

And Rhaven - you can always drink crystal light or sparkling mineral water to give yourself some variation, they all count towards water intake. As long as it's not a diuretic or soda I think. I know for sure sparkling mineral water counts though, I keep pellegrino/perrier in the fridge in 8oz bottles and I have some from trader joe's that are flavored (lemon-lime) in 1litre bottles for when I'm tired of plain jane water.

I'm so excited for this saturday's weigh in. I tweaked my routine this week quite a bit so that I can hopefully see a drastic loss this time. I'm burning 500 cals on the elliptical each night this week (or walking the neighborhood, depending on the mood, but I have to burn 500 per my HRM as my rule) - not counting my deep cleaning sessions as exercise this week either, and I'm not eating back my exercise calories but I'm not going to let myself go hungry either I'm just not going to eat higher calorie items just so I can bulk up my calories. I'm doing this to see if maybe MFP is overestimating what I should be eating just like they were overestimating how many calories I burn when I workout. My elliptical last night said I burned 900 calories when I finished my 63 minute workout. My HRM said 500. MFP also said I burned 900. I have to go with what I know to be true and that's my HRM but man it stings to see that huge difference.

If you are one who eats your exercise calories back (at least partially) and you don't have an HRM, I suggest investing in one because MFP overestimated on a lot of workouts for me.
  • Rhaeven
    Options
    @Mirlyn-- I typically aim for more plain water than crystal light and the other stuff I like to drink. I'm pretty good at boosting up the flavor of my water but when I do that then I have an even harder time drinking just the plain flat water. I have a load of 20oz bottles in the fridge so I always have cold water to drink and that helps. When I've had about 40oz or so then I let myself have something extra, like Crystal Light or tea/coffee, then back to the plain water. I think I WAY overdid the sodium last week (and last night :( ), so I am trying to increase my plain water to help flush it all out. I do not want anymore weeks where I'm gaining weight....sucks.

I cannot wait to get one of the HRMs to track how many calories I'm burning. I rarely eat any of my exercise calories back, mostly because I'm not hungry. But it would be interesting to see the differences between what MFP and the HRM come up with.

I think you have a great plan to switch things up a bit. Good luck!!!
  • angelae39
    angelae39 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just got a heart rate monitor last week and it has really helped. It was definitely worth the money.

I tend to eat all or all most all of my exercise calories back. I just started on June 1st and the first week I didn't think I was going to last since the ~1500 calories I am allotted didn't seem like nearly enough. I am doing better but I figure that I am all ready at a huge deficit from where I was at the 1500 calories considering the way I was eating before. I was eating fast food at least 5-7 meals a week and drinking soda every day. I am down to one soda a week and when I was craving fast food I just ordered a kid's meal. The portions were way smaller and it took care of the craving. I am really hoping to start seeing big results soon.

I look forward to being on this journey with you all.
  • Mirlyn
    Options
    I just got a heart rate monitor last week and it has really helped. It was definitely worth the money.

I tend to eat all or all most all of my exercise calories back. I just started on June 1st and the first week I didn't think I was going to last since the ~1500 calories I am allotted didn't seem like nearly enough. I am doing better but I figure that I am all ready at a huge deficit from where I was at the 1500 calories considering the way I was eating before. I was eating fast food at least 5-7 meals a week and drinking soda every day. I am down to one soda a week and when I was craving fast food I just ordered a kid's meal. The portions were way smaller and it took care of the craving. I am really hoping to start seeing big results soon.

I look forward to being on this journey with you all.

Sounds like my husband and myself back in March before we changed our lifestyle. Fast food all the time. We'd go through 2 cases of diet soda (mtn dew usually) in 2 days between the 2 of us. I cut soda out completely except for sparkling water but haven't nixed fast food completely since it really is convenient sometimes when you're out and about... but I do make MUCH healthier choices when we go to them and I usually only eat it like once every 2 weeks as opposed to 5-7 times a week.

I bet you see results soon! Until this week I've been eating my exercise calories back mostly and I have still been losing weight, but I haven't seen a loss over 2lbs in one week (I know, it's asking for a lot but I did have a 5lb loss week and it was the greatest feeling) in a month or so so I'm hoping to shock my body into a big loss this week.
  • Mirlyn
    Options
    @Mirlyn-- I typically aim for more plain water than crystal light and the other stuff I like to drink. I'm pretty good at boosting up the flavor of my water but when I do that then I have an even harder time drinking just the plain flat water. I have a load of 20oz bottles in the fridge so I always have cold water to drink and that helps. When I've had about 40oz or so then I let myself have something extra, like Crystal Light or tea/coffee, then back to the plain water. I think I WAY overdid the sodium last week (and last night :( ), so I am trying to increase my plain water to help flush it all out. I do not want anymore weeks where I'm gaining weight....sucks.

I cannot wait to get one of the HRMs to track how many calories I'm burning. I rarely eat any of my exercise calories back, mostly because I'm not hungry. But it would be interesting to see the differences between what MFP and the HRM come up with.

I think you have a great plan to switch things up a bit. Good luck!!!

Thanks! It's crazy how inaccurate MFP/gym equipment can be with calories burned even when you have all of your information entered in. I think my heart is just more fit than MFP/gym equipment thinks it would be at my weight/height. I walk with a girl in my neighborhood sometimes and she weighs slightly less and is slightly shorter than me but our fitness levels are vastly different so she probably burns WAY more calories than I do walking the same distance because her heart is probably pumping overtime.
  • velvetechos
    velvetechos Posts: 234
    Options
    i have closer to 80 but i'll join ya! :tongue:

Same here!
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    I love to see everyone else giving up soda too. I believe it is my greatest weakness. I am on day four of absolutely only water, and it feels really good. Soda never really quenched a thirst ya know. I've constantly got my water glass by me and now my daughter is always begging for a drink. Good job ladies :)

Welcome to the new faces I see too!

I have been eating about half of my exercise calories back, on average. I can't wait to weigh again on Friday... It seems so odd to say that, after avoiding the scale for so long.

Does anyone track their sugar? Mine is always over, even when everything else is not and some days are worse than others. I love sugar! I went to another site that takes all your measurements and information and it allowed me 45g of sugar a day, but MFP says I think 25. Kind of a big difference really, adds up quick.

Summertime~ although I don't feel quite comfortable in the pool, we did get a season pass to a local pool here for the kids' benefit. And would you believe than an hour and a half is supposed to burn some 800+ calories, with leisurely swimming? Just thought I would mention it, excellent alternative to sweating outside for exercise!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    34 mom of two small boys (1 and 3) I am halfway to my 60 and hope to lose 20 more after that, would love to be your buddy and help each other along the way
  • Mirlyn
    Options
    I love to see everyone else giving up soda too. I believe it is my greatest weakness. I am on day four of absolutely only water, and it feels really good. Soda never really quenched a thirst ya know. I've constantly got my water glass by me and now my daughter is always begging for a drink. Good job ladies :)

Welcome to the new faces I see too!

I have been eating about half of my exercise calories back, on average. I can't wait to weigh again on Friday... It seems so odd to say that, after avoiding the scale for so long.

Does anyone track their sugar? Mine is always over, even when everything else is not and some days are worse than others. I love sugar! I went to another site that takes all your measurements and information and it allowed me 45g of sugar a day, but MFP says I think 25. Kind of a big difference really, adds up quick.

Summertime~ although I don't feel quite comfortable in the pool, we did get a season pass to a local pool here for the kids' benefit. And would you believe than an hour and a half is supposed to burn some 800+ calories, with leisurely swimming? Just thought I would mention it, excellent alternative to sweating outside for exercise!

Get a HRM before logging 800+ calories for leisurely swimming though! I'll wear my HRM next time I go swimming to get what I really burn leisurely swimming and let you know.

Quitting soda has done alot for my health. Not just because soda is a hazardous material that just can't be good for me, and artificial sweeteners in excess actually triggered airway constriction for me (something I didn't notice until I quit drinking soda!), but also the lack of excess caffeine and artificial sweeteners actually decreased my appetite and sudden cravings. When I was drinking soda I was on a constant cycle of craving something salty then I'd satisfy the craving and immediately need something sweet, then savory, then salty, then sweet.... it was a never ending cycle. Soda also screwed with my tastebuds and fresh non-salted things taste much better to me now :).

Aside from quitting smoking quitting soda has been the best thing I've done for my health in a long time.
  • Rhaeven
    Options
    I, thankfully, am not and never have been a big soda drinker. My best friend is a huge soda drinker, she will buy that even when she is low on grocery money. She, and her entire family, are addicted to it. My biggest sugary downfall is all the yummy flavored coffees out there. Fortunately I just finished up my last container of the Hills-Bros. Cappuccino, I think that was the only sugar I was getting most days. I have some home made cocoa mix that I will mix into my coffee if I really am craving a sweet tooth. But that is typically my only source of sugar.

So to answer mamaDaisyJ, I don't track my sugar, in reality I don't pay attention to any numbers on MFP except how many calories I'm eating. I don't really need to I guess. I'm eating clean and healthy (For the most part, though struggle some days), I'm severely limiting any starchy/carb intake I have. I don't eat pasta, bread, rice, corn, or potatoes on a regular basis, not to say I don't have days where the noddles call my name. :) My bf/personal trainer suggested I eat 2-4oz lean protein and as much fruits/veggies I want every 2-3hrs and to avoid sugar/starch/carbs as much as possible. So far I have had no luck getting to my calorie count of close to 1800, but I'm never hungry and aside from last week...I am losing weight.

Hope everyone is having a good day!!!
  • velvetechos
    velvetechos Posts: 234
    Options

I was tracking sugar, and it seemed to be the only measurement I would go over. After some poking around though, I stopped worrying about it, because my sugars mainly come from fruit and minimal amounts of honey - I don't tend to eat many added sugars except for in my morning Kashi or a cup of coffee :)
  • Mirlyn
    Options
    I don't count my sugar. The only number other than calories that I keep an eye on is sodium and I still always go over target. I'm like velvet, most of my sugars come from veggies, fruits, and honey.