What it Looks Like to Weigh Yourself Everyday

Replies

• dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    One of the reasons I weigh everyday is I run 4 times per week and also lift on some of those running days. I also play a lot of sports like hockey, you'd be amazed how much you sweat playing goal. If I weigh 232lbs and then after running and sports weigh 228 the next day then it tells me I haven't replenished my fluids well enough and that I need to hit that water.

I think this is a great point to make. I know darn well that when the scale drops 3 pounds in 24 hours I didn't really lose that weight. But the scale does tell me that I am low on water and need to hydrate. I sweat like a pig and don't have a strong thirst reflex. I can lose a lot of water in 24 hours. Weighing once a week wouldn't give me that immediate feedback.
  • m0jk
    m0jk Posts: 133
    oooooh! i thought it was bad to weigh yourself every day? i have to hide my scales so i'm not tempted until the end of the week or i wont see the results i want. This is making me rethink since so many are getting better results doing it daily :)
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    I weigh every morning (after using the bathroom and before consuming any food or water). I keep a spreadsheet where I track my weekly minimum, maximum, and average. It is the average weight I use to show my progress on the health sites I visit.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    I weigh myself every day and record it weekly.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    I weigh every morning and record every friday.

exactly this
  • NikkiiiT
    NikkiiiT Posts: 34 Member
    I weigh myself every day and record it weekly.

Me too ^^

I'm glad the majority also weigh themselves daily. I do it to see how my body reacts to certain food.
  • MrsDangerousCurves
    MrsDangerousCurves Posts: 85 Member
    I weigh myself daily, usually right after I wake up and use the bathroom. Every time I weigh, I put it in my handy dandy excel sheet and make a chart so I can see the downward tread. I only truly record on weight on MFP, if I lose a .5-.8 or more.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    One of the reasons I weigh everyday is I run 4 times per week and also lift on some of those running days. I also play a lot of sports like hockey, you'd be amazed how much you sweat playing goal. If I weigh 232lbs and then after running and sports weigh 228 the next day then it tells me I haven't replenished my fluids well enough and that I need to hit that water.

I think this is a great point to make. I know darn well that when the scale drops 3 pounds in 24 hours I didn't really lose that weight. But the scale does tell me that I am low on water and need to hydrate. I sweat like a pig and don't have a strong thirst reflex. I can lose a lot of water in 24 hours. Weighing once a week wouldn't give me that immediate feedback.

^^ this

I am bad about not hydrating enough on runs because fluids go through me a little too quickly. I lost 5 lbs one day, mostly because I ran 10 miles that night. But I do count those weights. It is not cheating; it is your body weight. What that does is give false plateaus. I was "stuck" at 178 for nearly two weeks because the first time I recorded it was after the big run. When I finally did record a drop of another pound, I had probably dropped over 2 in average weight. But because I see weights every day, I knew this and it did not bother me.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

And you must realize that if you begin building muscle, your numbers may go up... and don't let that discourage you! I think it really depends on your personality! You just have to do what works for you, as an individual! Everyone is different...and I don't really think there is a cut and dry right or wrong way to this!!! :smile:

If you are eating at a deficit, you most likely are not building muscles, unless you are new to heavy weight training.
  • NHoughton13
    NHoughton13 Posts: 303
    I weight every day too, and don't count it until I see it three times! It flucuates so much!
    I thought I was the only one who does this. Yep, I weigh everyday but only log it when it stays the same for 3 days.
  • keina629
    keina629 Posts: 29 Member
    I used to only weigh myself every week.. because I was too scared to look and see that my hard work wasn't paying off! Now I weigh myself every day and it keeps me motivated to keep on top of things. But I don't record the changes until I see the same weight for about 3 days :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I've weighed daily for years - just part of my morning routine.
    As I follow an IF routine (5:2) my weight fluctuations can be quite extreme, 5lbs in a day or 8lbs in a week.

Knowing my weight doesn't have any emotional attachment or baggage for me, it's just data.
    (Hmmm - wonder if I look at it that way as I work in IT?)

I just record my weight on MFP when there's a consistent drift up or down over time but don't bother with fractions of a pound.

Like the previous posts from runners I also weigh just before and just after a long cycle ride to make sure my hydration is about right.
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    I weigh daily also, I find it less frustrating because I understand the fluctuations.

I check in whenever I hit a new "low weight" as long as the pattern is that it's going down. I realise this might be caused by variations, but it tends to stablise at that weight pretty quickly anyways.

I've been frustrated the last couple of weeks though. Every single day I'm weighing the exact same weight. Not up or down a couple of hundred grams, the exact same. For 2 weeks. I feel like I should definitely have lost, or even fluctuated as is normal, but nope, no change.
  • Eviesmum
    Eviesmum Posts: 270 Member
    I weigh daily but only record on a Monday.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

And you must realize that if you begin building muscle, your numbers may go up... and don't let that discourage you! I think it really depends on your personality! You just have to do what works for you, as an individual! Everyone is different...and I don't really think there is a cut and dry right or wrong way to this!!! :smile:

If you are eating at a deficit, you most likely are not building muscles, unless you are new to heavy weight training.

and muscle and fat weigh the same....so its not "muscle" that is making the scale go up ....
  • Daisey4522
    Daisey4522 Posts: 171 Member
    Every other time I've tried to lose weight in the past I've weighed myself once a week maximum. If that turned out to be a number I didn't like I would get depressed, binge incessantly and my weight would climb even higher. This time is the longest I've ever kept on track with a "diet" for lack of a better word since changing my lifestyle about 3 months ago with clean eating and exercise. This is also the only time I've weighed myself every single morning. At the beginning I thought doing this might make me even more depressed to see how much I truly fluctuate day to day but it definitely has given me even more motivation! I don't treat the scale as the enemy anymore and don't see it as my only measure of loss. If I weigh more from one day to the next it never angers or upsets me and not once has bingeing even crossed my mind. So I obsess less now than I did when I was weighing in once a week which in my mind seemed impossible

Go you! I completely agree :)
  • Daisey4522
    Daisey4522 Posts: 171 Member
    oooooh! i thought it was bad to weigh yourself every day? i have to hide my scales so i'm not tempted until the end of the week or i wont see the results i want. This is making me rethink since so many are getting better results doing it daily :)

I think it depends on your personality and what works for you. Maybe give it a try? But this is definitely the best thing for me. You learn a lot about your body and the numbers do not bother me as much since I know there will be a new weigh in tomorrow instead of having to wait another week or more.
  • powerplaymsu
    powerplaymsu Posts: 131 Member
    I weigh myself everyday(before and after my workout because it is fun to see how much more the scale goes down). I only record every Monday in my log book but I check in with MFP only when I lose weight.
  • oskybosky4
    oskybosky4 Posts: 62
    Hi, so glad I am not the only one who weighs daily. I find it very helpful in keeping me motivated. Although I sort of understand the fluctuations what I can't really get my head round is that one day I appear to be on the downward path and the very next day I will have gained 3 lb. I seem to weigh lowest in mid week and more at weekends - although I don't eat any extra food at weekends.

If the weight has gone up I am usually more careful the following days about drinking enough water and not eating salty foods.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    what it looks like.......:grumble: frustrated. Once a week fo me.