Financially prepared?

Options
124»

Replies

• cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    I haven't had turkey one time since I started. I buy chicken, pork and beef. I just don't buy the processed meats.

BACON!

BACON!

Let me add...BACON!

Mmmmm crispy bacon
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know where to start. I don't really know what healthy food I need to eat. And I don't know what kind of exercises I should be starting out with.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    you are supposed to eat less.

save money
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have mentioned that I'm 19 and roughly 40lbs over weight. I've had no desire for exercise. I have a horrible way of taking care of myself and I know that ten years down the road, I don't want to live the way I'm living now. So I wasn't making an excuse for myself, I just wanted to know what would be good to start eating to help lose some weight and what would also be good for exercise..

Maybe you need to mentally prepare yourself. I did. I picked a date down the line where I would start eating healthier. I knew my cabinets were still full of junk that I couldn't afford to just throw away. On the day I picked my start date of about one month away I started logging what I ate. I picked a month away so I wouldn't devour all my healthy foods at once and make things worse. I started reading all the labels on my current food and not all was bad. My major problem was portion size. A pint of ice cream is FOUR servings - what ?

By the time I hit my start date I learned some valuable information by watching my logged foods add up and I had already lost 9 pounds before I even started.

Good Luck - it took time to gain weight, it takes time to lose weight.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you don't even strictly need to eat healthier to start losing weight. You just need to eat less.

Now, it'll probably improve your health if you start working on including more healthy foods, but you don't have to go whole hog and throw out all your old food.

Cut out any soda, and start drinking water, or if you MUST have the fizz, sparkling water, which is still cheaper than soda.

You don't have to switch to turkey. Look for cheap cuts of chicken, like leg quarters. Are they as low-fat as turkey? No. Can you lose weight eating them? Yes.

You don't have to start buying berries (omg expensive). Start buying things like oranges and bananas. Are they as low-cal as berries? No. Can you lose weight eating them? Yes.

Vegetables are good to fit in. Look for canned or frozen vegetables on sale so you can stock up. Are canned vegetables high in sodium? Yes. But can you lose weight eating them? Yes.

I'm very broke, and this is what I've done.