Male Body Types (Like or Dislike)

Options
wilsoncl6
wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
I guess this might be a bad place to ask since most that are on here are either trying to get fit or are, at some level, interested in fitness but I wanted to get an idea of what women think. I read an article (not completely scientific mind you) that did a short study on what body types that women found more attractive. The general consensus from the group was that women were more attracted to men that were slim while not overly defined (think Brad Pitt in Fight Club) and men that were heavily muscled and defined (think Gerard Butler in 300) were nice to look, or scary in some cases but not particularly attractive. The funny thing is that when men were asked the same questions about what women would find attractive, it was almost the polar opposite, muscular defined fitness model types beat out the slim build guy next door type.

While most guys don't get in shape just to appeal to women, the opinion of women on their physique does matter. I don't fully buy what women are selling as far as their stated opinion on what they find attractive as there are too many variables that go into determining attraction beyond the physical and women may say one thing but act completely differently when given options to chose from. If all things were equal (money, status, power, personality, intellect) would a women chose based solely on physique, a muscled Gerard Butler or a slim Adrien Brody?

Before we get the answers flying, my personal opinion on the matter is that women are more concerned with what's upstairs in the brain case than what's going on below the neck so there is no hard and fast answer. The insecurities, fears and apprehensions of both women and men play a role in the decision. Women think that men that look like they spend too much time on developing their bodies won't have enough time for them or will be too overly self-possessed to have a good solid relationship (possibly but most likely a generalization) and think that men that have some muscle that seems more natural is desirable because it is a reflection of work ethic and not self-absorption. However, in the same vane, women generally want a man that is bigger and taller than them to give them a sense of safety and security so that only leaves a small window for men to fit in, not too small but not too big. Also, how a woman feels about herself plays a significant role in what kind of man she she's her self with, an insecure woman is not going to want an insecure man. Well, enough of my soap box. What are your feelings on the issue?

Replies

• almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This was a long read.

As far as an insecure woman wanting an insecure man, I don't buy that.
  • iamangrydoug
    iamangrydoug Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    There's a wide range of what I find physically attractive on men, but I will say that I definitely prefer a man that is at the very least fit. I'm not sure whether it has more to do with the aesthetics of it or knowing that we have similar views/values when it comes to health....probably a little bit of both. I am definitely not intimidated by a man that is really muscular and love a man with strong defined arms.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    Yes it was. Couldn't cut it down any further without losing the impact. Oh well.
  • iamangrydoug
    Options
    "Women think that men that look like they spend too much time on developing their bodies won't have enough time for them or will be too overly self-possessed to have a good solid relationship"

And I definitely don't buy into this. Everyone has time commitments of some sort.
  • almondbutterbay
    Options
    "Women think that men that look like they spend too much time on developing their bodies won't have enough time for them or will be too overly self-possessed to have a good solid relationship"

And I definitely don't buy into this. Everyone has time commitments of some sort.

True and a guy who exercises a lot won't mind that I spend a lot of my free time exercising!
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    One of the things I questioned reading the article where the types of women that you had take the survey. It did say that men that were heavily into fitness faired better (slightly) with women that also considered themselves fit or athletic.
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    any hope for us fat dudes?
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    From the study, some but not the best odds. Sorry, but hey, jacked guys with super-defined abs are supposedly in the same boat.
  • MisterZ33
    Options
    damnit....very well then...i will carry on with counting calories then.
  • almondbutterbay
    Options
    MisterZ33 wrote: »
    any hope for us fat dudes?

My ex was really big and I loved that guy. So I don't think body types count for everything so don't worry
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    Again, women will often choose personality over body in many cases but the study was about what women find physically attractive without getting to know the person.
  • MisterZ33
    Options
    phew...thank goodness for personality.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    What I also found interesting from the study is that most women like men with body hair to some degree but not overly hairy, manscaped for the most part.
  • SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    Having a low esteem for many years which is associated with appearance this thread is quite interesting to me.
  • shl000
    shl000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think women are more accepting of men's body types than vice versa in general. It also depends on what kind of women. If she's super athletic and fit, she probably doesn't mind some bulk. Fashion conscious types who only do Pilates probably prefer someone slimmer. If she's just in the healthy range but not athletic, she probably doesn't mind someone a bit soft. I see it more as a lifestyle compatibility.

Personally I am not crazy athletic, and prefer leaner figures. But personality is really the most important. I'd say personality over confidence- I find so many men overly confident to the point of annoyance.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    They also asked gay men what body types they liked the best and they liked exactly what most guys wanted to look like (think Zyzz the fitness model).
  • iamangrydoug
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    What I also found interesting from the study is that most women like men with body hair to some degree but not overly hairy, manscaped for the most part.

Definitely keep some body hair.....I should be the only one in the relationship with a soft, hair free chest!! :p
  • MisterZ33
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i keep the chest hair. the back hair though needs to go. only trouble is i wouldn't know where to tell the esthetician to stop.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I thought on the universal cute/money scale for female attraction to men this was irrelevant:

man-hot-crazy-wife-zone-scale-09.jpg

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My preferred body type is the body my man has. Whether he has gained some weight, or whether he's on his way to a six pack.

I thought I had a type before I met him, and he wouldn't have fit that mold. But now that I met him... HE is my type.

As for hair... I love what is natural for the man who's sporting it. If you're naturally hairy, I love that. If you're naturally bare, I love that too.

I don't need someone to shave their chest or back in order to find them attractive.

But that's my 38yr old perspective.