mandymay01 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I like a nice chest. Bigger I dont like skin and bones
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Why don't we turn this around then? Why do some guys like dumb women and some like smart women? Why do some guys like boobs and some like butts? Why do some guys like skinny women and some guys like women with some body fat?

Because they do. Just like women. We have our preferences. Sometimes they are shaped by people or circumstances. Sometimes they change. Sometimes we find someone who has a lot of qualities we like and they don't fit our typical preference.

Why do people spend so much time worrying about what others may or may not be attracted to?

Let me see if I can answer all of your questions in the order they were given: 1. Because we're men. 2. Because we're men. 3. Because we're men. 4. I don't know, because we're men. 5. Because that's how relationships get started and either work or don't work because we don't know if who you're interested in is interested in you unless you have some inclination as to who or what their attracted to. Hope this answers your questions.

Why do you need to understand what a woman is attracted to? Are you going to act one way until you get married and then change? Are you trying to do whatever it takes to just attract a woman? Why not focus on being the best you can be with what you have and attract a woman through being genuine, that way you don't have to play games to keep a woman.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Why do people spend so much time worrying about what others may or may not be attracted to?

I think, as a man at least, there is a huge motivation (sex) to make yourself as desirable as possible to the widest range of partners possible. "Just be yourself and don't worry what women are attracted to" is great advice until "yourself" ends up being a 300lb guy who plays video games 8 hours a night with a bag of peanut M&M's on each side. So maybe be MOST of yourself and a little bit of what someone else wants?

For the record... I do not believe that this motivation is gender specific.
    Hence all the threads about... curvy vs straight, thigh gap, big boobs, booty size, etc.

• wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Why don't we turn this around then? Why do some guys like dumb women and some like smart women? Why do some guys like boobs and some like butts? Why do some guys like skinny women and some guys like women with some body fat?

Because they do. Just like women. We have our preferences. Sometimes they are shaped by people or circumstances. Sometimes they change. Sometimes we find someone who has a lot of qualities we like and they don't fit our typical preference.

Let me see if I can answer all of your questions in the order they were given: 1. Because we're men. 2. Because we're men. 3. Because we're men. 4. I don't know, because we're men. 5. Because that's how relationships get started and either work or don't work because we don't know if who you're interested in is interested in you unless you have some inclination as to who or what their attracted to. Hope this answers your questions.

Why do you need to understand what a woman is attracted to? Are you going to act one way until you get married and then change? Are you trying to do whatever it takes to just attract a woman? Why not focus on being the best you can be with what you have and attract a woman through being genuine, that way you don't have to play games to keep a woman.

The point is so a person doesn't waste their time trying to appeal to someone that has no interest. I could care less, I just found the study and what is was trying to achieve interesting. I didn't agree with it because women are too varied to break down into categories of what they're attracted to (I think I did imply that in my original post).

Question for you: Why are you so hostile about a simple question on a blog? It is a study (like many relationship studies done over the years) that probably will achieve absolutely nothing in understanding how men and women work.
  • usmcmp
    Options

The point is so a person doesn't waste their time trying to appeal to someone that has no interest. I could care less, I just found the study and what is was trying to achieve interesting. I didn't agree with it because women are too varied to break down into categories of what they're attracted to (I think I did imply that in my original post).

Question for you: Why are you so hostile about a simple question on a blog? It is a study (like many relationship studies done over the years) that probably will achieve absolutely nothing in understanding how men and women work.

But trying to appeal to someone is already wasting time. You aren't being genuine. You can't keep trying to appeal to someone forever. That goes for men and women.

What if you found a woman who fit all the things you like and once you get married she changes completely because she was only trying to appeal to you?

I'm not hostile over a simple question. I'm hostile over the implication that women can be figured out by a study and that the results of interviewing random women are in anyway applicable to all women. Your answers to my questions were "Because we're men" and I think when you ask similar questions of women you should just apply that same logic, "Because we're women". If you don't have thoughtful answers to my questions about why men like certain things I shouldn't have to provide thoughtful answers about why women like certain things.
  • therealblackdahlia
    therealblackdahlia Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I don't care about body types...personality and how the man treats me trumps everything else!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    As someone whose husband can achieve either of the looks you described, I prefer him looking "boy next door" because he's more relaxed and inclined to find ME sexy that way. Dropping body fat down as far as it takes to look ridiculously cut and bulgy takes a lot of focus (that could totally be on me instead) and I'm lead to believe that sex drive takes a bit of a hit from dropping body fat that low. His personality literally changes, and I prefer the more easy-going guy to the intensely focused guy for every day living. I like that he can focus that intensely, but I couldn't handle that every day.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options

[/quote]I'm not hostile over a simple question. I'm hostile over the implication that women can be figured out by a study and that the results of interviewing random women are in anyway applicable to all women. Your answers to my questions were "Because we're men" and I think when you ask similar questions of women you should just apply that same logic, "Because we're women". If you don't have thoughtful answers to my questions about why men like certain things I shouldn't have to provide thoughtful answers about why women like certain things.[/quote]

You are completely missing the point of the study and the purpose of my post. It was not about getting people to change to appeal to certain people. It was to figure out what women like, which I think is a fruitless effort because every woman might like something different. The point of the study was to try to understand what women find physically appealing. What I found interesting was the general consensus that was reached between those women that took the survey. How the information from the study is used by those who read it is up to them. I have no interest in being something other than who I am for someone else and would expect a woman to feel the same. Again, like I implied in my original post, I did not agree with the study and found that the results did not take into consideration many variables that would have affected the results. I didn't provide thoughtful answers to your question because it cannot be easily answered. Different men like what they like. It all depends on environment, upbringing, past emotional experiences and relationships, not to mention they feelings that a man might have about himself in determining how that man may feel about a particular woman/man, body type, body part or other aspect. Again, this is about the study, not about my personal likes or dislikes. If you don't agree with the study, just say you think the study was BS and a waste of time.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    As someone whose husband can achieve either of the looks you described, I prefer him looking "boy next door" because he's more relaxed and inclined to find ME sexy that way. Dropping body fat down as far as it takes to look ridiculously cut and bulgy takes a lot of focus (that could totally be on me instead) and I'm lead to believe that sex drive takes a bit of a hit from dropping body fat that low. His personality literally changes, and I prefer the more easy-going guy to the intensely focused guy for every day living. I like that he can focus that intensely, but I couldn't handle that every day.

^---what you said is what was implied by one of the people that did the study about women that are not attracted to men that are super cut or extreme hard-bodies.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

^---what you said is what was implied by one of the people that did the study about women that are not attracted to men that are super cut or extreme hard-bodies.

Of the men I know that are extremely cut - they do it for a reason and that reason is not health. I find the ones I know are a**holes in and out of the gym. They may have a sensitive side, but they think they are too cool to show it. So, they get ignored. Act decent, you'll get decent in return. A**hole? Watch the back of my head as I walk away. Maybe there are some out there that aren't that way, but I haven't met them yet.
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I, for one, actually do have a type, on a purely physical, carnal level, that has nothing to do with preconceptions or insecurities or projections of probably personality. A legit physical preferences. And you know what? My taste is closer to Brody than to Butler. Actual truth. I have dated a guy who lifted a lot and had a very "ideal" muscled body, and I am currently engaged to a thin, lithe guy, and I genuinely, honestly prefer the second one to make love to. Even though I myself am really into fitness.

Taste is individual and shaped by a huge variety of factors, combined in insanely complex ways.
    These blanket statements about what women like and why they like it make me cringe.

(And also, if most women tell you they prefer a Brad Pitt body to a body with more "gains", you might as well believe them, instead of looking for reasons why they might be misled. I mean, there are enough exceptions to every general trend, that even if you count on becoming the Rock, you will still find plenty of women who will be burning with lust for a body just like yours, so who cares anyway?)
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

I think, as a man at least, there is a huge motivation (sex) to make yourself as desirable as possible to the widest range of partners possible. "Just be yourself and don't worry what women are attracted to" is great advice until "yourself" ends up being a 300lb guy who plays video games 8 hours a night with a bag of peanut M&M's on each side. So maybe be MOST of yourself and a little bit of what someone else wants?

Hence all the threads about... curvy vs straight, thigh gap, big boobs, booty size, etc.
    I would argue the curvy vs straight, thigh gap, etc threads are more about wanting acceptance or some other internal feeling, mostly at least. Most women can have sex pretty much at will, barring some sort of extreme circumstance.

Yeah...

NO

It's not as easy as you might think. I know plenty of women who have been frustrated by lack of action in that area.

Contrary to popular belief... Women do not have a trail of men following them waiting for their pants to drop.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    The point of the study was to try to understand what women find physically appealing. What I found interesting was the general consensus that was reached between those women that took the survey.

You keep saying "the study". Let's see this study. Was it done in one city? A certain age group? A specific part of a city? Was it in person? Was it a written one? Was it a walk up poll? Were they put into a room? Were they shown men? The same men? Were they shown just celebrities?

All those variables would impact why there could be a consensus.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I would argue the curvy vs straight, thigh gap, etc threads are more about wanting acceptance or some other internal feeling, mostly at least. Most women can have sex pretty much at will, barring some sort of extreme circumstance.

Yeah...

NO

It's not as easy as you might think. I know plenty of women who have been frustrated by lack of action in that area.

Contrary to popular belief... Women do not have a trail of men following them waiting for their pants to drop.

In before he says that those women should lower their standards.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options

If all someone is wanting is sex than anyone can find a person to sleep with them. It comes down to what you are willing to compromise for it. This goes for men as much as women.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You keep saying "the study". Let's see this study. Was it done in one city? A certain age group? A specific part of a city? Was it in person? Was it a written one? Was it a walk up poll? Were they put into a room? Were they shown men? The same men? Were they shown just celebrities?

Did they have PMS or not? Given my feelings on chocolate on any given day, that could be as important a factor in the body type I want to rub myself against...

• wilsoncl6
    Options
    The point of the study was to try to understand what women find physically appealing. What I found interesting was the general consensus that was reached between those women that took the survey.

Exactly, that's why I didn't agree with it. Very unscientific. No information was given on how the survey was conducted other than selected women were shown pictures of males with these certain body types. Who were the women chosen? What were their cultural backgrounds, ethnicities, mental and emotional states, where they currently in a relationship, did they have any bad experiences with men with a certain body type? The pictures shown were of different body types but not taken in exactly the same pose, skin tone, lighting, some had tattoos while others didn't, too many outside factors that weren't or couldn't be adjusted for but it wasn't designed to be scientific, just a random sampling. Forgive me for wanting to see what women thought of the study itself and to get a woman's perspective on it.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options

Yeah...

NO

I was going to say this too but I'm already receiving a lot of heat for even posting the studies results. Not every woman can just grab a guy and say lets go, just like not every man can do the same. It isn't that simple.