Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The point of the study was to try to understand what women find physically appealing. What I found interesting was the general consensus that was reached between those women that took the survey.

You keep saying "the study". Let's see this study. Was it done in one city? A certain age group? A specific part of a city? Was it in person? Was it a written one? Was it a walk up poll? Were they put into a room? Were they shown men? The same men? Were they shown just celebrities?

All those variables would impact why there could be a consensus.

Exactly, that's why I didn't agree with it. Very unscientific. No information was given on how the survey was conducted other than selected women were shown pictures of males with these certain body types. Who were the women chosen? What were their cultural backgrounds, ethnicities, mental and emotional states, where they currently in a relationship, did they have any bad experiences with men with a certain body type? The pictures shown were of different body types but not taken in exactly the same pose, skin tone, lighting, some had tattoos while others didn't, too many outside factors that weren't or couldn't be adjusted for but it wasn't designed to be scientific, just a random sampling. Forgive me for wanting to see what women thought of the study itself and to get a woman's perspective on it.

Okay, well you still haven't provided the study. You are just telling us what you got from the study.

I think it's dumb to try to come up with some master list of the things most women are attracted to.
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Why do people spend so much time worrying about what others may or may not be attracted to?

I think, as a man at least, there is a huge motivation (sex) to make yourself as desirable as possible to the widest range of partners possible. "Just be yourself and don't worry what women are attracted to" is great advice until "yourself" ends up being a 300lb guy who plays video games 8 hours a night with a bag of peanut M&M's on each side. So maybe be MOST of yourself and a little bit of what someone else wants?

Sure, I agree with that somewhat. But... Well, there is a huge gap between worrying about your attractiveness because you are a 300lb couch potato, and worrying on whether your body fat percentage should be 13 or 14. After a certain point and excluding deformities, it really does become a matter of preference rather than some "universal trend of female desire". Both Adrian Brody and Gerard Butler have tons of women who thirst after them, so whichever you resemble, you'll be fine. This is just the same as women worrying about whether they should aim to have Beyonce's body or Adriana Lima's or Kate Moss'... Like, hey, if you even remotely remeble any of these, trust me, you will have your pick of partners, so stop stressing.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    The point of the study was to try to understand what women find physically appealing. What I found interesting was the general consensus that was reached between those women that took the survey.

You keep saying "the study". Let's see this study. Was it done in one city? A certain age group? A specific part of a city? Was it in person? Was it a written one? Was it a walk up poll? Were they put into a room? Were they shown men? The same men? Were they shown just celebrities?

All those variables would impact why there could be a consensus.

Exactly, that's why I didn't agree with it. Very unscientific. No information was given on how the survey was conducted other than selected women were shown pictures of males with these certain body types. Who were the women chosen? What were their cultural backgrounds, ethnicities, mental and emotional states, where they currently in a relationship, did they have any bad experiences with men with a certain body type? The pictures shown were of different body types but not taken in exactly the same pose, skin tone, lighting, some had tattoos while others didn't, too many outside factors that weren't or couldn't be adjusted for but it wasn't designed to be scientific, just a random sampling. Forgive me for wanting to see what women thought of the study itself and to get a woman's perspective on it.

Okay, well you still haven't provided the study. You are just telling us what you got from the study.

I think it's dumb to try to come up with some master list of the things most women are attracted to.

Thank you, that's all you had to say. The study was asinine! I agree but I'm not a woman and have no idea how women think on this subject. I'll see if I can find a link to the website for you if it'll make you feel better. I think it was from some men's health magazine. One of those articles that you find in magazines that proclaim they know what they're talking about but really have no clue.
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Who cares what they want, go to the gym for yourself not to make yourself appeal to someone else, at the end of the day we all get old and we all look the same, it's our personality that defines us
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Sure, I agree with that somewhat. But... Well, there is a huge gap between worrying about your attractiveness because you are a 300lb couch potato, and worrying on whether your body fat percentage should be 13 or 14. After a certain point and excluding deformities, it really does become a matter of preference rather than some "universal trend of female desire". Both Adrian Brody and Gerard Butler have tons of women who thirst after them, so whichever you resemble, you'll be fine. This is just the same as women worrying about whether they should aim to have Beyonce's body or Adriana Lima's or Kate Moss'... Like, hey, if you even remotely remeble any of these, trust me, you will have your pick of partners, so stop stressing.

Amen. <3
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    Who cares what they want, go to the gym for yourself not to make yourself appeal to someone else, at the end of the day we all get old and we all look the same, it's our personality that defines us

OK, realized that no one actually goes back and reads the original posting.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    Here is the link to the article if anyone is actually interested in reading it: http://foxhoundstudio.com/blog/fitness-lifestyle/the-ideal-male-physique-—-what-girls-want-want-guys-want-to-be/
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Here is the link to the article if anyone is actually interested in reading it: http://foxhoundstudio.com/blog/fitness-lifestyle/the-ideal-male-physique-—-what-girls-want-want-guys-want-to-be/

So it was done by that particular website and women filled it out on their site. This means only women who were following them would have answered (judging by the site it is a very specific type of people who follow it). The survey was not a study and was more than slightly skewed.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I think I actually read an article about that awhile back. It's interesting, but a lot of times people fall in love with people who don't fit their ideal type (if they have one). I'm attracted to different body types, but I have a definite fetish for guys who have small frames and are very lean. Even more so if they also have a really nice bum ;) (edited for language, lol).
  • Becka4Real
    Becka4Real Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    If all things were equal, I would like a defined guy as long as that meant he didn't spend EVERY waking minute in the gym and cut loose and had a cheat meal or two on the weekends.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    (...) While most guys don't get in shape just to appeal to women (...)
    U-WOT-M8.jpg
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I guess this might be a bad place to ask since most that are on here are either trying to get fit or are, at some level, interested in fitness but I wanted to get an idea of what women think. I read an article (not completely scientific mind you) that did a short study on what body types that women found more attractive. The general consensus from the group was that women were more attracted to men that were slim while not overly defined (think Brad Pitt in Fight Club) and men that were heavily muscled and defined (think Gerard Butler in 300) were nice to look, or scary in some cases but not particularly attractive. The funny thing is that when men were asked the same questions about what women would find attractive, it was almost the polar opposite, muscular defined fitness model types beat out the slim build guy next door type.

While most guys don't get in shape just to appeal to women, the opinion of women on their physique does matter. I don't fully buy what women are selling as far as their stated opinion on what they find attractive as there are too many variables that go into determining attraction beyond the physical and women may say one thing but act completely differently when given options to chose from. If all things were equal (money, status, power, personality, intellect) would a women chose based solely on physique, a muscled Gerard Butler or a slim Adrien Brody?

Before we get the answers flying, my personal opinion on the matter is that women are more concerned with what's upstairs in the brain case than what's going on below the neck so there is no hard and fast answer. The insecurities, fears and apprehensions of both women and men play a role in the decision. Women think that men that look like they spend too much time on developing their bodies won't have enough time for them or will be too overly self-possessed to have a good solid relationship (possibly but most likely a generalization) and think that men that have some muscle that seems more natural is desirable because it is a reflection of work ethic and not self-absorption. However, in the same vane, women generally want a man that is bigger and taller than them to give them a sense of safety and security so that only leaves a small window for men to fit in, not too small but not too big. Also, how a woman feels about herself plays a significant role in what kind of man she she's her self with, an insecure woman is not going to want an insecure man. Well, enough of my soap box. What are your feelings on the issue?

nicky.gif?w=650&h=365
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    Thank you, years of experience.
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    (...) While most guys don't get in shape just to appeal to women (...)
    U-WOT-M8.jpg

Sad but true.
  • oneunfitdad
    oneunfitdad Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    To be honest i know a lot of women that hate guys with any muscle (no joke). There is no overall type for women as the same (shock horror) goes for men some like small some tall some fit, and some even like hugely obese women. I really do think women are the same in that respect
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    To be honest i know a lot of women that hate guys with any muscle (no joke). There is no overall type for women as the same (shock horror) goes for men some like small some tall some fit, and some even like hugely obese women. I really do think women are the same in that respect

I agree but I guess that fact got lost in the melee.
  • usmcmp
    Options

I agree but I guess that fact got lost in the melee.

If you thought that women would disagree because you realize that not all men and not all women are attracted to the same thing why did you ask?
  • wilsoncl6
    Options
    Also, men and women had completely different ideas as to physical attractiveness than the opposite sex.