Fellow Vegans or wanna-Vegans?

Options

Replies

• kc7671
    kc7671 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Looks like i'm a little late joining in on this thread but hope to make some vegetarian/vegan friends and get support. I've been vegetarian about 4 months now and working towards vegan...i'm doing well but do eat things sometimes that include cheese or eggs. Would love to keep in touch for supoprt! I'm really excited about my decision to be vegetarian/vegan! I'm trying to lose the last of the weight I gained while pregnant with my son. He'll be a year old very soon and I'm not quite there yet and am embarrassed :-( Hope to get there soon tho! Good luck to everyone!
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, eating no meat, egg or dairy, although I will occasionally eat fish. My reasons were intolerance to certain foods. I havent had meat or dairy in over 2 months, and while it was tough at first, its easy to me now. I loveknowing there are others out there living the same lifestyle because it seems that the people around me physically just dont get it, and love to question why I make the choices I do.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Hey all,

Vegetarian for quite a few years, and was Vegan for some of them. I eat eggs and dairy, though not much. Dairy makes my belly ache...but I have a love/hate relationship with really good cheese:laugh: I get weak though, sometimes eating fish, but the guilt that come from that isn't worth it in the end :sad: . I chose to be a vegetarian not because I don't like the taste of meat, but for ethical reasons (so it makes me even more ashamed when I cave in). I cannot stand the meat replacements. They are full of preservatives, and are so processed. I really try to limit the amount of soy I consume and seitan also makes my belly ache (concentrated gluten??). My two oldest kids eat no meat, but fish, eggs and dairy. My youngest is a full blown carnivore, like my husband. Hard to cook when you have so many different diets to deal with!! Maybe we can share some recipes?? I am so sick of my menus! Anyway, nice to meet you all.
  • kylea5
    kylea5 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks so much for starting this thread! I'm a vegan (most of the time). I have to admit that occasionally I fall off the wagon and binge on cheese. Oh, why is cheese so good? But I'm trying very hard to stop doing that. I definitely think it's the healthiest way to live (for both personal health and the health of the planet). Glad to see so many others on here...
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am jumping on this thread. I am not currently even vegetarian, though up until last fall I probably would have considered myself a "flexitarian" (not a huge fan of the word, but basically I only ate meat a couple times a week or so). However, since trying to lose some body fat, I have resorted to the best way that I knew of -- a high-in-animal-protein bodybuilding diet.

Well, I am just feeling all meated-out! I really don't like the thought of it from many different levels. Besides, I have just never really even loved meat! I don't crave it so I feel like it is sort of just cluttering up my grocery shopping, my meal planning and my diet.

So, the more I dug into going vegetarian, the more I found out about the research into the problems with animal protein in general. I listened to some lectures by T. Colin Campbell, the author of The China Study (which I have on reserve at the library) and I think vegan is really the way I need to head. I hesitate to use the label because, as Dr. Campbell points out, you can be a "junk food vegan". I want to have a whole food, plant based diet. I'm not saying I will swear off animal protein 100% of the time and in all situations, but I would like it to comprise a very very small percentage of my calories.

As for now, my boyfriend and I have a lot of meat, eggs, etc. in the fridge. We'll be eating our way through that and then, ideally, stop buying it and stop eating it.

So.... who here has an open diary? I would love to be able to sneak a peak to get some ideas.
  • veganon50
    veganon50 Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I see lots of people posting on here who want to be vegan, or are trying to be vegan and struggling - I think for me it was a decision I made, and once made, I can't go back on - do I want to support animal cruelty? Do I want to know how many male calves were slaughtered to make my pint of milk possible? Do I want to know how many pus nodules are currently acceptable per gallon of milk? When you think about the suffering, the pus, the bacteria, and the antibiotics that goes into it, the cheese no longer looks so tasty!
    I can no more go back to eating dairy or eggs than I can go back to eating meat - the cruelty and the cost to the planet is no different.
    For me, being vegan is an ethical choice, not a diet or fitness choice. I want a fair and healthy world, free of cruelty for all creatures.
    Maybe if you do some research, and find out a bit more about it, then you will feel ready to make the decision, or not - it is up to you!
    But for me, knowing that no animals have been harmed in the production of my food is a wonderful way to be - and delicious, too!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    So, the more I dug into going vegetarian, the more I found out about the research into the problems with animal protein in general. I listened to some lectures by T. Colin Campbell, the author of The China Study (which I have on reserve at the library) and I think vegan is really the way I need to head. I hesitate to use the label because, as Dr. Campbell points out, you can be a "junk food vegan". I want to have a whole food, plant based diet. I'm not saying I will swear off animal protein 100% of the time and in all situations, but I would like it to comprise a very very small percentage of my calories.

As for now, my boyfriend and I have a lot of meat, eggs, etc. in the fridge. We'll be eating our way through that and then, ideally, stop buying it and stop eating it.

So.... who here has an open diary? I would love to be able to sneak a peak to get some ideas.

I feel like I'm in a similar place as you are. My priority is eating mostly healthy, whole, non-animal foods. I'm definitely not in a place, either, where my goal is to be perfectly vegan but rather that I'm only consuming trace amounts of, if any, animal products.

My husband is a meat-eater and probably always will be. He can't even comprehend any inkling of why a person would stop eating meat. So unfortunately, there will still be some animal products in the house but I'm going to try to cut him down without him knowing lol. I've already added you as a friend and my diary is open for friends to view.
  • jennifergarceau
    jennifergarceau Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I came upon this thread.....I also am joining late. I currently do not eat any meat, I have only been vegetarian for 10 months now. I could use any support and ideas I can get. I currenlty eat alot of meat "replacements" and this is not something my family and I would like to do forever. But for now, it helps still with the transition. My son and husband are meat eaters but very open to trying pretty much anything I make. As of right now the only dairy I really consume is by cheese...I have purchased vegan cheese to try before and it wasn't bad....the cost is what had made me not purchase it again but I am really wanting to become vegan so I will be getting some vegan cheese....and I dont' eat alot of cheese. I also eat eggs on and off. We live in a rural type area and its a "fall back" item for when we go out to eat and what not.....I don't want it to be that way. I'd like to just transition into veganism. We would also like to cut processed foods as much as possible. So our goal is 2 times per week have vegan meals and cut out processed foods to start.....

Feel free to add me as a friend or throw any suggestions, ideas, etc. my way.

Glad to meet everyone!!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    Options
    I'm glad I came upon this thread.....I also am joining late. I currently do not eat any meat, I have only been vegetarian for 10 months now. I could use any support and ideas I can get. I currenlty eat alot of meat "replacements" and this is not something my family and I would like to do forever. But for now, it helps still with the transition. My son and husband are meat eaters but very open to trying pretty much anything I make. As of right now the only dairy I really consume is by cheese...I have purchased vegan cheese to try before and it wasn't bad....the cost is what had made me not purchase it again but I am really wanting to become vegan so I will be getting some vegan cheese....and I dont' eat alot of cheese. I also eat eggs on and off. We live in a rural type area and its a "fall back" item for when we go out to eat and what not.....I don't want it to be that way. I'd like to just transition into veganism. We would also like to cut processed foods as much as possible. So our goal is 2 times per week have vegan meals and cut out processed foods to start.....

Feel free to add me as a friend or throw any suggestions, ideas, etc. my way.

Glad to meet everyone!!

Hi Jennifer, I added you :) One thing that I find that has helped me to not rely much on meat replacements is to build my meal around a veggie or veggies. I think we're so used to building a meal around the protein source, but really the veggies should compose about half your meal, so it makes more sense to build it around them. I find that when I buy a bunch of yummy veggies at the Farmer's Market, pick which one I'd like to have, and form my meal from that starting point, I tend to rely less on meat replacements. It just seems like it's a lot easier to think, "Ooo I have lots of good salad veggies, maybe I'll throw some chick peas on top" than "I have a can of chick peas, what the heck am I going to make with these?"
  • BlueLikeJazz
    Options
    When you think about the suffering, the pus, the bacteria, and the antibiotics that goes into it, the cheese no longer looks so tasty!
    I can no more go back to eating dairy or eggs than I can go back to eating meat - the cruelty and the cost to the planet is no different.
    For me, being vegan is an ethical choice, not a diet or fitness choice. I want a fair and healthy world, free of cruelty for all creatures.
    Maybe if you do some research, and find out a bit more about it, then you will feel ready to make the decision, or not - it is up to you!
    But for me, knowing that no animals have been harmed in the production of my food is a wonderful way to be - and delicious, too!

Hi veganon, I completely agree with you. I was a vegetarian in the past but had never even considered going vegan because I had never done any research and had just decided to stop eating meat on a [guilt-ridden] whim. I also thought the idea was just absurd because...how could I possibly give up cheese and eggs?! Nah, not going to happen.

But after "seeing the light" recently, I just have no desire for any animal products. Even cheese, which has long been a beloved staple of my Wisconsinite life, has lost its appeal.

I am still in the process, though, of weeding out those "hidden" animal products, or ones I don't even think about checking on. For instance, last week I had some refried beans with salsa and veggies for lunch and it wasn't until yesterday that I was looking through the pantry and saw another can and thought, "oh crap...I bet this has lard in it!" Sure enough. And my Parkay fake-butter spray has buttermilk in it, too. That's something I'll have to find a replacement for because I used to use it all the time.
  • veganon50
    Options
    I found a great website - maybe I am the last to find out?! Called Fat Free Vegan - this is a link
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/
    Looking for a recipe for aubergine/eggplant for tonight and there are loads on here - yum!
  • veganon50
    Options
    It is a pain having to read all the tiny writing on every packet - especially as I get older and my eyesight is not so good!! And even the most innocent products contain stuff you wouldn't expect - like the retried beans blue like jazz experienced!
    Recently I was offered a low fat spread as an alternative to butter, and when I looked at the ingredients, it contained pork gelatin - how horrible - so not even suitable for vegetarians!!
    It is a good reason to make as much food myself as I can - at least that way I know what I am eating - but makes it more difficult when eating out or on holiday. I just need to get good reading glasses!
    :wink:
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    I was vegan for a year, am hoping to start again as it felt good!

why did you stop?
  • Beccaful
    Beccaful Posts: 6
    Options
    Another vegan here! Glad to see there's a good amount of veggies on this site too.

I went veggie at 13, then went vegan about 2-3 years ago. I put off veganism for years as either something completely OTT or the whole love cheese too much. Then I started researching the dairy industry more for some reason and that kinda finished it for me. I didn't change overnight. I decided one day to not buy anything else that wasn't vegan, while I still had a stocked up kitchen of non-vegan food. Slowly finished off the last of the butter, cheese, cream cheese, quorn stuff etc. over the week, then I just brought the vegan versions.

The things that hit me most were a) that the majority of meals I made were actually vegan when I didn't throw a pile of cheese on top [spaghetti bolognese, chilli, veggie burgers & sausages, curries etc] and b) pretty much everything had a vegan substitute and more often than not was actually tastier [quorn sucks in comparison to the sausages/burgers/mince etc that I buy now]. It's made me a healthier, more adventurous cook; I've eaten so much more tasty food over the last few years that I probably never would have tried, having always been the "I'll go for the one with cheese" type.

Ooh and last tip for wannabe vegans - leave the vegan cheeses alone for awhile until your taste buds have changed a bit. When you're used to eating cheese lots then the vegan ones will taste crap. I hate that I have to say this, but I think it puts a lot of people off. Wait a week or two before you try it and then buy loads of nutritional yeast and go crazy. I now make loads of awesome cheesey dishes, and they're usually healthier than using real cheese.
  • BlueLikeJazz
    Options
    Ooh and last tip for wannabe vegans - leave the vegan cheeses alone for awhile until your taste buds have changed a bit. When you're used to eating cheese lots then the vegan ones will taste crap. I hate that I have to say this, but I think it puts a lot of people off. Wait a week or two before you try it and then buy loads of nutritional yeast and go crazy. I now make loads of awesome cheesey dishes, and they're usually healthier than using real cheese.

What is a reasonable price for nutritional yeast? I found a jar of it at Festival Foods for $10, I think it had maybe 33 one tbs. servings...does that sound like a good price? I was a little surprised to see how expensive it was but figured having a jar of it on hand wouldn't be a bad thing if I need an extra protein kick for the day.
  • Beccaful
    Beccaful Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm a useless Brit sorry! I think I get mine for roughly $4 for 125g.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

What is a reasonable price for nutritional yeast? I found a jar of it at Festival Foods for $10, I think it had maybe 33 one tbs. servings...does that sound like a good price? I was a little surprised to see how expensive it was but figured having a jar of it on hand wouldn't be a bad thing if I need an extra protein kick for the day.

I bought some in bulk at my local food co-op and it was $9.49/lb or so.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Hi! Glad to see this thread even if I am a little late in joining.

I went veggie at 11 years old. It was Orthodox Easter and as usual I spent the night at my cousins house so I could go to church with them. We piled into my uncles Trans Am and headed down to Greek town to get the fresh bread for dinner. This was my first visit to greek town. Since it was a major holiday every bakery was packed. When I saw the WHOLE lambs roasting in the windows, I lost my appetite for a very long time. Every year I ate the lamb, but never saw it before it got to my plate. Seeing the entire animal (head, eyes, the whole thing...sorry for the TMI) in the window like that made me see the connection that I had been missing. I was young and I knew that my food came from animals, but I didn't really see the connection. But that day, I got it.

I've been vegan since February, gluten free since March. I feel AMAZING and don't miss a thing. Because of the gluten sensitivity, I can't do fake meats. I live on beans, nuts, seeds, tofu, rice, ancient grains, and all the veggies I can get my hands on. I have more of a variety than I ever thought was possible. I read the book The Kind Diet and that helped me alot in making the transition. If you are curious about veganism, or trying to go that route, I highly recommend that book.

I love food now. I never realized that my bad relationship with food was becase of the way I felt. I was eating the food pyramid and following all the rules thinking this is just what normal is supposed to feel like. Little did I know, the lean meats, quality cheese, skim milk, whole wheat.... they were slowly poisoning me. And the doctors and dieticians kept saying you're doing it right, you'll feel better when you lose weight. And I just got fatter and sicker.

It was about health at first, I never consdered myself an animal person. However, a huge surge of compassion has followed. I'm trying to get a dog, I don't freak out over bugs anymore, I held up traffic to help a turtle cross the road..... I'm now leading a small group ministry for vegans at my church! This change has been the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Glad to see so many others on here who live this way!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian for all of my 25 years and was a vegan on and off for 4 years. I truly enjoy greek yogurt too much to go back to being vegan until they start making a great substitute. My food diary is public but that may soon change (too many opinionated people that love to give advice where advice isn't wanted, lol). I'm the only vegetarian in my family (my hubby nor my daughter have reached the 'ethical light' as I call it. While I do consume dairy, I do not wear any animal products (this includes clothing, accessories, shoes, and beauty products).
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options

I am still in the process, though, of weeding out those "hidden" animal products, or ones I don't even think about checking on. For instance, last week I had some refried beans with salsa and veggies for lunch and it wasn't until yesterday that I was looking through the pantry and saw another can and thought, "oh crap...I bet this has lard in it!" Sure enough. And my Parkay fake-butter spray has buttermilk in it, too. That's something I'll have to find a replacement for because I used to use it all the time.

I always buy the vegetarian refried beans. You can even make them yourself, but I haven't tried it yet. So I don't know how easy/difficult it is.

For butter, I use Earth Balance Buttery Spread. It is safe for Vegans. Smart Balance even makes a vegan butter, but you have to check because they make several and they are not all vegan. I like the Earth Balance and so does my daughter.

Dream makes a good chocolate bar. So Delicious makes good ice "cream" from coconut milk. (Mocha Almond Fudge- YUMM) And the make mini fudge bars that are vegan and so yummy!

Organicville makes a vegan ranch. I make my own with veganaise, tofutti sour cream, dried chives, dill, garlic, salt and pepper. It make a great dip and nobody can tell the diff- at a party once, people preferred my dip to the regular. Then I said it was vegan and everybody just stared. "Huh? theres tofu in that? No milk? But, it tastes so good?" :laugh: Yup. Vegan ain't so scarry when it tastes good:wink: Hahaha!