Fellow Vegans or wanna-Vegans?

Options

Replies

• spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm going to Google for a vegan pizza recipe to make tomorrow but if anyone has a great one they'd like to share, feel free! I made another batch of vegan sushi with friends this weekend and I think I have found what will be my go-to combo: avocado, green onion, and cucumber. The textures and flavors were perfect together and my favorite color is green is it appealed to my eye :)

potato & asparagus

mushroom & spinach/baby spinach

baby corn & zucchini

pumkin& spinach

I usually make the bases from scratch (just self raising wholemeal flour, baking powder and water)
    and then the sauce from scratch with onion + tomato and chilli, but it can be whatever really

then just chuck stuff like the above on top... oven 180C 10-15 done :)

basically any combo of vegetables (or beans) you'd normally eat can go on pizza
  • veganon50
    veganon50 Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi! Re Vegan Pizza
    My partner makes the best pizza ever - whether vegan or not!
    He uses either ready made bases or I make a wholewheat base if we have time (like the previous post) and then add a base of tomato sauce or vegan green pesto, then layer up with whatever you fancy or have left over in the fridge! It is a chance to be really creative - we usually make one each and then share to compare toppings!
    Toppings include: tomato, red onion rings, slices of raw mushroom, asparagus, baby sweetcorn, rocket (arugula?), chili (I like to add pickled chili slices or sweet peperdews), smoked tofu, vegan cheese slices, vegan parmesan, fresh basil or other herbs, olives - you name it!
    Then drizzle with a little olive oil and put in a hot oven for 10 mins - yummy (especially with a green salad and glass of Chianti!).
    I especially like the pesto base with asparagus and mushroom. Cold pizza is also good if left over for a packed lunch or picnic.
    Have fun with your pizza making - you can be really creative and playful - and messy!
    I love the sound of vegan sushi, as well - think that could also be a lot of fun to put together - and eat!
  • jennifergarceau
    jennifergarceau Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

As of last Thursday I have been trying to cut out Dairy/Eggs. So far I have not thad any obvious Dairy/Eggs but I do know that I need to watch labels for items that have Dairy/Eggs in them. It's hard, but I am working on it.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone,

As of last Thursday I have been trying to cut out Dairy/Eggs. So far I have not thad any obvious Dairy/Eggs but I do know that I need to watch labels for items that have Dairy/Eggs in them. It's hard, but I am working on it.

I'm sure some of you guys on this thread aren't interested in animal rights....but a good site to know what exactly is in your food is the Peta site. They break down everything that are animal by products in everything from food to cosmetics.
  • Jane1848
    Jane1848 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Vegan here! :happy:

I've been vegan for about 6 years and I went vegetarian about five years before that. 10+ years for me total... and I'd never go back.

I originally went vegetarian for ethical reasons. Eventually the same feelings led me to veganism. Once I stopped consuming all animal products, though, I was convinced of the health benefit also. Quitting dairy has been especially beneficial, because almost immediately I stopped suffering from allergies.

Like many others have said, you have to have strong reasons for becoming vegetarian/vegan, because otherwise you'll slip back to your old eating habits whenever you get tired of the new "diet." It has to be a lifestyle choice that is part of you in order for that transition to stick. It IS challenging at times, but in my experience it's a choice that carries a lot of reward.

My diary is open for all of you who asked about examples. :smile: :heart:
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just wanted to share an interesting event for anyone who may be in Michigan!

http://mhlas.com/Promo-Expo-ro

It looks like fun for the whole family and it is centered around naturally healthy and sustainable living. I don't think that it is specifically vegan or even vegetarian, however. But it still looks awesome for the family!
  • kc7671
    kc7671 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I posted earlier but thought I'd another two cents :-) Newly vegetarian (since March of this year)....the goal is vegan. I find vegan a little harder. Restaurants can be difficult - which is why sometimes I find myself eating things like pasta which doesn't help my weight. I tell you, it was eye opening after going vegetarian and then going out to restaurants...you realize everything contains meat! It's amazing how much meat everyone eats. I would say I'm mostly vegan but sometimes do eat let's say a piece of birthday cake or something that contains egg/butter/milk. So I can't say I'm 100%. Completely vegetarian though! And so happy with my decision. My husband is proud of my willpower but sometimes he is frustrated with me and wonders where his wife went. He thinks I can be a little nutty about it. I call it passionate ;o) He still thinks some day I'll eat meat again but I never will. All I have to do is have a mental picture of a factory farm and that is enough for me to never do it again. Again, the goal is to cut out all animal products but I'm proud to say that what I do consume in dairy is very very limited.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    wanna be vegan. i just don't enjoy or crave meat and can do with out it. i do like eggs, milk and cheese and fish. darn, this doesn't look so good. i'll sit on the fence. :)
  • kc7671
    kc7671 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    P.S. Anyone on this thread a little concerned about eating soy? Seems like vegan mayo, cream cheese, sour cream all contain soy and the way I understand it it's not good for you. Maybe in moderation but after reading just a little about soy so far it make me want to avoid it. I do almond milk instead of soy milk. I realize that it would be better to eat all natural and not use those immitation things at all but sometimes I think it's necessary at least for me. Would love to get your thoughts!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    P.S. Anyone on this thread a little concerned about eating soy? Seems like vegan mayo, cream cheese, sour cream all contain soy and the way I understand it it's not good for you. Maybe in moderation but after reading just a little about soy so far it make me want to avoid it. I do almond milk instead of soy milk. I realize that it would be better to eat all natural and not use those immitation things at all but sometimes I think it's necessary at least for me. Would love to get your thoughts!

Great question and I had the exact same one a few weeks ago. I ended up spending hours doing research on the issue and the conclusion that I came to was that a couple servings of soy a day (in addition to the trace amounts that are in just about any packaged food you can find) is safe, but that if you have thyroid issues or have/had breast cancer, you should ask your doc about it.

I think one of the main reasons there was such an uproar with soy is because for a while it was touted as a miracle food and some people started consuming mass amounts of it, including soy supplements. And obviously, any one food in mass amounts isn't a good thing. I found that the following article contained lots of well-researched information regarding concerns over soy:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soymessina

The other thing I found is that fermented soybeans and soy products (like tempeh) are generally considered to be safer.

The viewpoint I've taken now is doing my best to get my protein from sources like beans, whole grains, lentils, nutritional yeast and seitan and supplementing with soy products when I need something different (no more than a couple servings a day.)
  • MacguyverMommy
    MacguyverMommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    tagged for later. I love animals too much to eat em!:smooched:
  • BlueLikeJazz
    Options
    I figured I'd bring this thread back around since it's been a few days. For those of you who are already established vegans:

How do you feel about honey?

I honestly have a hard time getting too wound up about eating honey. Does it really hurt bees in any way to do what they do naturally with the freedom to fly free anytime they like? I just can't really drudge up any sympathy but maybe someone here will change my mind. At this point, if I do use honey, I use the local stuff because it's said to be helpful to allergies to eat local honey.

In other news, I had a major dairy transgression today and started feeling guilty and sick in the middle of it. We went to Perkin's for our weekly date so my husband could order breakfast at 1 in the afternoon, his favorite. Every time we go there as of late, I end up ordering their least meaty salad with no-meat, no-cheese which essentially means I end up paying close to $9 for lettuce with red onions and tomatoes on it. I decided to just go no-meat today, feeling that I've been pretty successful in removing most animal products from my daily meals so therefore "a little cheese now and then won't hurt."

Well I ate 2 out of the 6 triangles of my cheese quesadilla and as I bit into #3 my mind started whirring with images of where the milk came from, the disgusting conditions the cows were probably in, and just that gooey, melty texture started making me want to gag. So yes, I guess my cheese experimentation is done for now. I just wish I could come up with a better solution than plain salad when we go there since we go a couple times a month. Better yet, I wish THEY would start serving baked potatoes before 4 :mad: that would make it a lot easier on me.
  • mfulk360
    mfulk360 Posts: 6
    Options
    I am also a wannabe looking for tips to being more meat free. I have been working out with a personal trainer and while I like the way I am feeling, I don't like all the animal-based protein that seems to be necessary to hit the right mark for my body and my workouts. I already do a lot of tofu and I am lactose intolerant. Any suggestions are certainly welcome.
  • madcatwechanged
    Options
    http://www.pcrm.org/

I ahve been getting the "Good Medicine" newsletters in the mail from PCRM and it really makes you think. They have a "21dayjumpstart" that begins Sept.6 and it sounds like a full support of ideas and ways of becoming a vegan. If you go to the site I placed at the top it gives you so much more info and resources for health. You can go to the other site PCRM has which is

http://www.nutritionmd.org/index.html

a lot of helpful stuff here as well.

PCRM does this for the welfare of animals and the reason I am trying to get to "Vegan" status. My wife opened my eyes to the cruelty of factory farms and "Food Inc." helped as well. I can't go back knowing what I know. Hope some of you join the "jump start" and help support each other. :)
  • greendragonfly88
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and have been vegan in the past. Currently I'm trying to get close to veganism, but I don't stress out if the odd dairy product ends up in my diet. I miss it though, but it is hard when the people around me are not supportive of it.

thanks for starting this thread :)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Google for a vegan pizza recipe to make tomorrow but if anyone has a great one they'd like to share, feel free! I made another batch of vegan sushi with friends this weekend and I think I have found what will be my go-to combo: avocado, green onion, and cucumber. The textures and flavors were perfect together and my favorite color is green is it appealed to my eye :)

one way i have made delicious vegan sauce (summertime) is to grill tomatoes and red peppers either on a grill outside or in the oven on a grill pan, then simply blend (skins and all) the charred fruits. add some herbs & salt. super stupid delicious.

place on the sauce roasted eggplant, summer squash, garlic or olives... whatever your fancy. we eat cheese, so we sprinkle some lightly, but it doesn't need it; it's very flavorful on its own.

i throw the whole pizza back on the grill... grilled pizzas are the shiz!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi

Hope you don't mind me popping in. Not a vegetarian myself (yet) but daughter has been for a long time, wanted to check out recipes and ideas for her.

I don't eat a lot of red meat, but do eat chicken once a week, much to daughters disgust. It's mainly ethical reasons for her and she has certainly made me think about how animals are treated.

Love the idea's for pizza and toppings I'll have to try them myself.
  • veganon50
    veganon50 Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi everyone - and welcome to those interested in being vegan!

My journey to becoming vegan began after being vegetarian for years when I found out (from living near a dairy farm) that the production of milk (even organic milk) involves the routine slaughter of male calves (they don't make milk!!) and years of untold pain and discomfort for cows who are kept in a perpetual state of pregnancy. They frequently used to go lame and suffer from terrible mastitis. Seeing the flies buzzing around their udders in the summer was awful and it looked so painful.
    And then they also have to put up with their calves being taken from them soon after birth. I used to live between the field where the cows were and the pens where they kept the young calves - the sound of the mothers and infants calling to each other kept me awake night after night - it was really pitiable. Especially knowing the truck would arrive any day to take away the bull calves and the females would be turned into yet more milk production machines as soon as they were old enough to be impregnated until they are 'spent' and sent for slaughter - a blessed release from a lifetime of suffering, I imagine.

That is when I decided it was impossible to be truly vegetarian and eat any dairy products.

If you want to know more, I suggest you do some research so you come to your own decision - I found some really interesting information on the UK vegan society website recently about the myths around eating dairy - check it out - I am sure the American vegan society has plenty of similar info.

Once I understood what the production of milk entails in terms of killing animals and animal suffering, it was no harder for me to say no to cheese than it was to steak - it all involves slaughter!

But that is my journey - I can't advise anyone else - it is a personal decision and only becomes easy once you have made that decision - veganism isn't a diet - it is an ethical choice.

Today is my one month anniversary on MFP!!!

I am feeling so much fitter than I was when I joined and really enjoying the website - the forums are so supportive!

Have a great Sunday, everyone :flowerforyou:
  • Jane1848
    Jane1848 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and have been vegan in the past. Currently I'm trying to get close to veganism, but I don't stress out if the odd dairy product ends up in my diet. I miss it though, but it is hard when the people around me are not supportive of it.

It is hard when the people around you aren't supportive. But that's what we're here for: to support you! :-) So...good luck! You can always feel free to message me!
  • BlueLikeJazz
    Options

My husband does not get the whole vegan thing AT ALL. He cannot relate to it in any way, nor does he see the point. I get similar reactions from most people who inquire about a particular product I'm buying or eating. The thing is, it doesn't really bother me that I don't get support from any of the people I come in actual contact with every day because I feel more like a pioneer or something lol. Many people are at least interested in learning about it and you can just be hopeful that maybe some of your positive energy and influence will rub off. My husband is at least interested in eating more vegetables, that's certainly a start!