Fellow Vegans or wanna-Vegans?

Options

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    yay!! vegans and vegetarians ! loooove feeling lighter and more energetic then ever before. However i find myself taking heaps of supplements such as iron, multi-vitamins, b12 and hair and nails to name a few. no idea if thats actually to much or anything!! have no idea if i am missing out on any.

ANY info would be greatly appreciated!! not many of my friends are vegans/vegos so it's hard to get advice on the matter besides google (thanks internet) :wink:

What did your doctor say?
    If you do eat healthfully and properly there is no reason to take a multi or any other supplement except a b-12 if you're vegan...if you're a vegetarian then you schould be getting b-12 from sources such as eggs and dairy. I do take a daily multi just to be on the safe side. It's Raw One for women by Vitamin Code and it's a vegan fromula...so it's veggie capsules...no gelatin.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I've been vegan for a few months now and strive to include a lot of raw whole foods too. I like to avoid replacement type foods like veggie burgers and vegan cheese because I find they make me crave the real thing more. at a pot-luck bbq last week I brought marinated portobello mushrooms to put on the grill and most of the non-vegans there just had to try some! I was so glad I brought more than I thought I needed! I'd love to hear other favourite meals from you!
  • dbmom
    dbmom Posts: 16
    Options
    I am vegetarian. Just started MFP yesterday. Looking forward to postings in this group.
  • hopela
    hopela Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm vegan! hey guys!
  • Scoobees
    Scoobees Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bumping so I will remember to read this thread later. :smile: Just went vegan a week ago. :drinker:
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow Veggies! I'm looking for some help. While I'm away at work (on an gas platform) I have a hard time getting enough protein. They don't exactly cater to a veggie lifestyle, so I've been trying to find a decent protein powder to make up the difference. Can any of you suggest any that are tolerable? I've tried Abosulte Vegetarian and it's AWEFUL! The new one I just brought for this trip out is Swiss naturals Soya, and it's almost as bad. Probably wouldn't be so bad if I could bake it into something or in a smoothie but that's not an option. Can you help me?
  • hightopp
    Options
    @SugarDiva

Nutiva Hemp Protein isn't bad. I've had the berry varieties, but haven't branched out to the chocolate. I've heard only good things. I've never baked with my protein powders (what a good idea!), so I can't vouch for them in that regards, but the shakes are pretty tasty.
  • SugarDiva
    Options
    Thanks!:smile: I will run out and get that as soon as I get home..in another week.. :frown:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Hey fellow Veggies! I'm looking for some help. While I'm away at work (on an gas platform) I have a hard time getting enough protein. They don't exactly cater to a veggie lifestyle, so I've been trying to find a decent protein powder to make up the difference. Can any of you suggest any that are tolerable? I've tried Abosulte Vegetarian and it's AWEFUL! The new one I just brought for this trip out is Swiss naturals Soya, and it's almost as bad. Probably wouldn't be so bad if I could bake it into something or in a smoothie but that's not an option. Can you help me?

Vega! It is awesome. The likes of Mac Danzig and Robert Cheeke use this formula and so does one of my fave singers Bif Naked. It's a bit pricy but well worth it. Right now I can't afford it and am using a non veg formula. The chocolate is my favorite at the moment...I've tried the berry and it's pretty tasty too.
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options

Vega! It is awesome. The likes of Mac Danzig and Robert Cheeke use this formula and so does one of my fave singers Bif Naked. It's a bit pricy but well worth it. Right now I can't afford it and am using a non veg formula. The chocolate is my favorite at the moment...I've tried the berry and it's pretty tasty too.

I've been using Vega for 1.5 yrs & I like the unflavored kind the best since it seems to take on any flavor of what I mix it with. Since I'm starting to eat more raw, I've been using Amazing Grass brand Amazing Meal (in Pomegranate Mango Infusion) & Green Super Food. They taste great! Hope this helps!
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    I was a vegan for 8 yrs. I am not now but Iam heading back in that direction again. I reading books on raw foods. I will be getting it together soon.
  • SugarDiva
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestion guys. :smile: You're awesome! I'm gonna be hitting the store hard :laugh: I'm excited about berry flavors, but then again, after the ones I've tried I'd be excited about dirt flavors :laugh:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestion guys. :smile: You're awesome! I'm gonna be hitting the store hard :laugh: I'm excited about berry flavors, but then again, after the ones I've tried I'd be excited about dirt flavors :laugh:

LOL. Also, Vega uses stevia and no other sweeteners so it's also much better for you than most other brands.
  • mandaincanada
    mandaincanada Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've tried Vega both chocolate and berry. I find the berry one more tolerable but I find the pea taste is overwhelming in both flavors :(
  • waterdog82
    waterdog82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan 6yrs and counting :)
  • rebmcg
    rebmcg Posts: 29
    Options

I've been using Jay Robb sprouted brown rice protein powder-vanilla. It is available in the health food section of my local Kroger. Mild flavor.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I was going to start up a new topic when I saw this one. I have been thinking about the whole going veggie and I will admit. It scared me. Not in a bad way of am I getting what I need but in a I love the food I eat. But, over the past few weeks I have been having issues in a socially conscious sense. That being said. I am looking at changing my eating habits to become a vegetarian. The hard part is that my husband and children will not be following me on this journey. Our kids are 7 and 4 and like everything else, I spoke with them about why I want to change and let them decide for themselves.

I am going to need as much support in this change as I am in the weight loss goal in general. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this transition easier? I have not yet made "the switch" only because I need to get some great food / recipe ideas. I LOVE to cook so I can't wait to see new ways I can make veggie food.

Please feel free to add me!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Chel -- I went vegetarian a couple years ago and I don't miss meat AT ALL. I'm not vegan (you'll pry my cheese out of my cold, dead hands!), but vegetarian has been a very easy change for me.
  • SugarDiva
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I picked up the berry flavored Vega today... and THANK YOU to everyone who recommended it. Oh god this is a million times better than the other crap I was using.:drinker:
  • rebmcg
    Options
    I'm starting the 21 day Vegan Quick Start tomorrow--http://www.pcrm.org/kickstartHome/messages/
    Anyone want to join me?