does food realy make you fat

Options
my little sister eats junk food mostly,n she has the best body ever,she doesnt gain,she has been skiny since she was born.i wonder if food realy makes you fat n if so y do some people eat a lt bt dnt gain a thing.would love to hear others thoughts,thnx in advance

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What do you think makes you fat?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    food doesnt make you fat, TOO MUCH food makes you fat....
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    This is a troll, right?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    my little sister eats junk food mostly,n she has the best body ever,she doesnt gain,she has been skiny since she was born.i wonder if food realy makes you fat n if so y do some people eat a lt bt dnt gain a thing.would love to hear others thoughts,thnx in advance
    Nah, just beans and rice.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    naa.... its either heavy metal, gays, rap music or secular society.... not sure which.
  • dpdsouza
    dpdsouza Posts: 5
    Options
    It is very human but inaccurate to make a direct comparision of two diets, even those of siblings and wonder why life is unfair. Humans have a confirmation bias. You tend to notice the results you "want to" and ignore those that do not fit into what you want to believe.

Biology does have a role to play but it isnt the only thing. Have you considered other factors. Maybe she has junk food more frequently but has less portions? Or maybe she is more active while you are not.

For instance I had a cousin who was a junk food lover. We hardly had to walk for 5 min and he would exclaim "I'm hungry. Lets have something to eat". And he was always thin whereas I have gained and reduced weight but never been thin. It was only when I spent an entire day at his house that I understood why. He would never finish his plate, often leaving half of what his mother put in(Indian mothers! They feel they are commiting a sin if they dont stuff you!) whereas I was conditioned to finish off my plate. My wife has a twin (non-identical). Although both have grown up with the same diet my sis-in-law tends to put on weight easily as she has a desk job whereas my wife, a teacher, does a lot more of moving around.

Stop comparing! It will only make you miserable.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    1. Metabolic rate varies between individuals, but anyone can gain weight by eating more or lose weight by eating less, it's just a matter of figuring out how much more or less.

2. How old is your sister? I think it's common that people can eat whatever when they're young and not get fat, but those bad habits catch up to them as they age. That happened to me!

3. Is it possible that she eats junk food, but small amounts and/or not so often? I think sometimes people will observe a skinny person eating something unhealthy and/or a large meal one time and assume they eat that way all the time when they really don't.

4. "I can't lose any weight ever because genetics" is b.s. Genetics *might* make it more challenging for you to lose weight, but you can.
  • starcollapsing
    starcollapsing Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    no, not necessarily.

"Why are thin people not fat":
    http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/why-are-thin-people-not-fat.html

"Does dieting make you fat?" (Twin study):
    http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v36/n3/full/ijo2011160a.html

There is also a very interesting study giving evidence for the pretty much complete lack of correlation between someone's weight and calories consumed, but I can't seem to find it right now...
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I agree with alisonlyn197.
  • Matholo425
    Matholo425 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thnx al for your thoughts
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I was 55 kilos all my teenage 20's and 30's and ate anything I wanted ...donuts cakes chocolate you name it and never put on an ounce........then I hit my 40's and boy did that change ????
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Back in high school I was thin as a rail despite eating all sorts of junk in massive quantity; I was actually trying to gain weight with no success. But, I was also highly active and was probably spending north of 3500 calories a day. At that rate I could eat Big Mac combos (with fries and full-sugar soda) three times a day and still not have a surplus.

If I eat like that today where I average 2500 cals of work, I would gain a pound a week.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you continually eat more than you need then yes it will make you fat.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If you continually eat more than you need then yes it will make you fat.

science.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Not sure if srs
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The study suggest hat calories have nothing to do with weight gain.

eat-my-hat-o.gif