Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,719 Member
    Options
    album-manna.jpg
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    There are many many more but these are some of my favorites from a significant period in my life.

07dbf0f9e7a0053882788110.L.jpg
    51I%2BHy8lVXL._SS500_.jpg
    51eLB%2BgcstL._SS500_.jpg
    6a9b431378a00ec558647110.L.jpg
    51DbY2hUmwL._SS500_.jpg
  • deckerp
    Options
    51u08A%2B--vL._SS500_.jpg
    71aOJnkrSlL.jpg
    0915d250fca0e7a089dd2010.L.jpg
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Styx - Paradise Theatre. My vinyl copy of that album has a hologram right on the album. If you hold the record at an angle in the light, you can see it. Not sure how rare of a record that is?
    I saw Styx on their tour for Paradise Theatre. They were a very important band for me back in the '70s and '80s. That is, until Mr. Roboto...what was that?
  • deckerp
    Options
    Styx - Paradise Theatre. My vinyl copy of that album has a hologram right on the album. If you hold the record at an angle in the light, you can see it. Not sure how rare of a record that is?
    I saw Styx on their tour for Paradise Theatre. They were a very important band for me back in the '70s and '80s. That is, until Mr. Roboto...what was that?
    By gosh you're right! I had the same LP. It was right on the vinyl. Also, I agree with the Mr. Roboto downfall. It's hard to live up to your own reputation I suppose.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    King Crimson

cover_354061992009.jpg
  • deckerp
    Options
    I found a picture of the Paradise Theater LP.

ParadiseTheater.jpg
  • snookeroo
    Options
    Although not super popular, these album covers were clever. Two of them were microscope views of the inside of a tape deck (Level Headed) and a needle and tone arm playing on a record (Off the Record) Give Us A Wink featured a cover that would "wink" at you as you pulled the record sleeve out.

51S759P3N5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51641YFDQEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41527JMV33L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • snookeroo
    Options
    Zepplin's IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR came in a brown back.. When you removed the the album from the brown wrapper, there were six different possible covers. LED HEADS were sure to collect them all. What marketing...

ITTODBagCoverFront.jpg

6ITODLPs.jpg

Supposedly if you wet the black and white cover, the picture would turn to color. I never wet mine.
  • deckerp
    Options
    This one was the number one album of all time for a while. I think it replaced Rumours.

51qHtQEF8ML._SS500_.jpg
  • snookeroo
    Options
    Frampton Comes Alive
    WOW this album was huge. I believe it made live albums more popular...I know it did back then.
    At the time this was released, I was in high school. I belonged to one of those mail order record clubs. I had ordered this album and waited and waited for it to be delivered. The day that it finally came, when I came home from school, I had a splitting head ache. I never remember having a head ache like that before. I walked in and there it was on the table but I didn't care. I took a couple of asprin (which is something I never did) and went and lay down. Probably didn't listen to it til the next day.
    That's my memory of that album.
  • snookeroo
    Options
    This is one of those albums probably no one else has ever heard of. I was browsing in the record dept of my local store (another part of the great memories from the vinyl days). I ventured over to the discount rack. There I saw this album by a band named "ARTFUL DODGER". I thought what a great name for a band! And I figured for .99 or $1.99 or whatever it was, what did I have to lose. I took it home, put it on the turntable and was immediately hooked. This, in my opinion, is one of the best pop albums ever made. And mostly no one's ever heard of it. Great songs. Great hooks. Catchy tunes. Echos of Beatles (probably because of the hooks), Springsteen (probably because of the harmonica used on some songs) and mostly Rod Stewart (because of the vocals, of course). In fact, there is a song on this album called "FOREVER" that I would think that Rod Stewart himself would not believe it's not him. If you like '70s pop, hunt down this LP (I've never seen it on CD - I've transfered my vinyl copy to CD to Mp3).

z330.jpg
  • deckerp
    Options
    I have one that was relatively unknown. My roommate in college got me started on this one. They have a bit of country or folk or crossover flavor to their music. The lead, Jon Poussette, is still making music and doing tours. I ended up on his mailing list but have never seen him in concert.

51RlACHJ7zL._SS500_.jpg
  • deckerp
    Options
    OK, I hate to SPAM this thread but I thougt I'd take us in a bit of a new direction.

Not only was this album HUGE but I went to their concert when they came to town to promote that album. Opening for them was The Babys.

51mVYhPH22L._SS500_.jpg
    41SpNl0UMeL._SS400_.jpg

I'll followup with album covers from other groups I saw in concert. When possible I'll use the album they were promoting on that particular tour. Sound fun?
  • deckerp
    Options
    I saw this concert when I was in high school. It was at the UNI Dome. I think it was the second domed stadium built in the US.

I'm thinking this was 1979, before Christopher Cross had released any singles. He opened.
    51h9kom3eJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Followed by Ambrosia. Their big hit was "How Much I Feel".
    31E95C0WS4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The featured act was Foreigner.
    417YD6X785L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Needless to say, it was a great concert.
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    A couple I like from one of my favourite bands

Rhcp05.jpg

blood.jpg
  • snookeroo
    Options
    OK, I hate to SPAM this thread but I thougt I'd take us in a bit of a new direction.

Not only was this album HUGE but I went to their concert when they came to town to promote that album. Opening for them was The Babys.

51mVYhPH22L._SS500_.jpg
    41SpNl0UMeL._SS400_.jpg

I'll followup with album covers from other groups I saw in concert. When possible I'll use the album they were promoting on that particular tour. Sound fun?
    Oh man, The Babys! I have all of their albums. (And the couple that I could find on CD.) And John Waite! I saw John Waite at The Tower Theatre In Philly on the "NO Brakes Tour". He's another one of those who I wonder why didn't he make it HUGE! Come on Mr. Dj, stop playing MISSING YOU. There are so many great songs he did. Today on my walk, I heard "MR. WONDERFUL" and I was actually thinking "why wasn't this a hit?" Not enough payolla , I guess? HEAD FIRST...another great album!!!!!

The-Babys---Head-First-Front-Cover-19563.jpg
  • snookeroo
    Options
    Here's the John Waite album covers. As I remember, the first album, "Ignition", was the one out when I saw him on tour. But the concert was called the "No Brakes Tour". I remember because I bought a concert shirt that said the "No Brakes Tour". However, his next album was called "No Brakes", (that's the album with the ever present radio hit "Missing You") so maybe he was promoting that album. But, it wasn't until his third album "Mask Of Smiles" that he had a song called "No Brakes".

ignition2.jpg
    nobreaks.jpg
    maskofsmiles.jpg
  • deckerp
    Options
    I like John Waite too (imagine that). I have his greatest hits on CD and I like almost all of them. I think you either like his voice or don't. I remember a girl in college said something kind of odd. She said she didn't really like "Missing You" but they played it so much she eventually did like it. That's kind of backward from what I usually experience. I like a song but then sometimes they play it to death and I end up hating it.

When I went to Journey and The Babys it was with my ex-girlfriend. She had asked me to go and had gotten the tickets but by the time the concert came around we weren't going out anymore. We decided to go to the concert anyway and it was actually a pretty good time.

I highly recommend this album. It has solo as well as Babys songs on it. One of the songs was with Bad English. I had forgotten he was with them.

41D0B3TTE7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • deckerp
    Options
    While in college I saw Dan Fogelberg. He didn't have any opening act and none was really needed. He gave a really good, long, quality show. This album was released a couple years before the concert so he wasn't really promoting it but this was his most recent album at the time. It's also one of his best.

410b7xJPXgL._SS500_.jpg

Another great one from Fogelberg is Netherlands.
    51v88MEy-3L._SS500_.jpg

I'm a huge fan of his album tracks. His radio hits were good but his albums were great.

He died August 13, 2007 from prostate cancer. He fought it for quite a while but it was too far advanced when he was diagnosed.