Options
12346»

Replies

• bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, you responded to him like you didn't know. Sorry if my response hurt your feelings. If you had me as a trainer, you wouldn't be holding on the handrails at 15%. ;)

I never said that I hold the handrails at 15% but there is no reason for you to jump all over someone that does something differently than you. There is not a single way to do something and some people have legitimate reasons to hold the hand rails. As long as they are moving, it is a positive thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "bkyoun wrote:
    My point is that there isn't one right way to do something. People can still burn calories and lose weight if they hold the hand rail on the treadmill. Is there a more effective way? Maybe. Do most of us care? Not really. If it works, it works.
    While you may not care, there are HUNDREDS of other members who read it that may care. Don't worry if it's not advice you want to follow. Carry on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    bkyoun wrote: »
    He was being sarcastic to your response.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks Mr. Know-it-all. Get over yourself. Thanks God I don't have a trainer like you...

I have been exercise in gym related situations for close to a decade. So yeah I knew what I was asking.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    i hold on . but thats because i have the incline at 15% and otherwise ill probably fall off. i try to go a bit without but ya. been working good enough for me
    If you're holding on at 15% incline, then it's too steep for you to do. Holding on reduces 30%-50% of the resistance, so you're just better off lower the incline down to what you can do without holding on.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Holding the hadrails at 15% incline would burn more calories than not holding the handrails with no incline.

What about not holding the handrails at 8% incline?
    I had a client who would hold on at 15% at 3.5 speed for 15 minutes and after he hired me for a few sessions, we reduced it to 8% no hands, he didn't last more than 2 minutes. Eye opening for him.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I was also being sarcastic to his question <g>

But yeah I used to run at 1% incline and still struggled to walk at anything over 5%. Gravity sucks, people.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    i hold on . but thats because i have the incline at 15% and otherwise ill probably fall off. i try to go a bit without but ya. been working good enough for me
    If you're holding on at 15% incline, then it's too steep for you to do. Holding on reduces 30%-50% of the resistance, so you're just better off lower the incline down to what you can do without holding on.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Holding the hadrails at 15% incline would burn more calories than not holding the handrails with no incline.

I had a client who would hold on at 15% at 3.5 speed for 15 minutes and after he hired me for a few sessions, we reduced it to 8% no hands, he didn't last more than 2 minutes. Eye opening for him.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But yeah I used to run at 1% incline and still struggled to walk at anything over 5%. Gravity sucks, people.

I can name a few places that gravity helps.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This thread...I don't even know...

At least we are still talking about treadmills?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol, you responded to him like you didn't know. Sorry if my response hurt your feelings. If you had me as a trainer, you wouldn't be holding on the handrails at 15%. ;)
    I never said that I hold the handrails at 15% but there is no reason for you to jump all over someone that does something differently than you. There is not a single way to do something and some people have legitimate reasons to hold the hand rails. As long as they are moving, it is a positive thing.
    I suggested a better and more efficient way to do it. Somehow you've taken it as offensive. I would say the same thing to a guy who loads up tons of weight on a bar and did a quarter squat. Yeah sure he doing a squat (kinda) and that's positive, but it would be much more effective to lower the weight and do a parallel squat instead. See what I'm sayin'?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    While you may not care, there are HUNDREDS of other members who read it that may care. Don't worry if it's not advice you want to follow. Carry on.

Ok I see the error of my ways... you are right and I am wrong. There is only 1 correct way to run on a treadmill - your way. And if someone doesn't do it that way, they are better off not even doing it at all.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can name a few places that gravity helps.

I only know of one...it's called "downhill"...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Okay, so anyone up for treadmill hand walking now? And it's actually harder on flat than on an incline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH0H0bhrX48

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Ok I see the error of my ways... you are right and I am wrong. There is only 1 correct way to run on a treadmill - your way. And if someone doesn't do it that way, they are better off not even doing it at all.

55039150.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I would agree that someone isnt' using their time as effectively - but that's none of my buisness.

I disagree about the stairmaster.

You do as much as you can without holding on- but at some point- you get fracking tired- and that's all there is to it- it's a change of body line- I try not to-but it happens. Spend more than 15 min on one of those things and you'll find yourself bent over half draped on the machine to.
    No doubt it's tough Jo. I'm sure you've seen people on it though at high speed settings, and totally leaning forward so far that their upper body is at a 45 degree angle hanging on for dear life. No one climbs stairs that way if they were just climbing. I'm just saying that many people put the resistance/speed to much more than they need to possibly thinking they are achieving more, when in truth they really aren't.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Indeed- I'd totally agree. I guess there's a difference of just over doing it and "holding on"/holding one's self up- versus just tired.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Define it however way you want to, but that's not what I've stated at all. I'm sure others really understand what I'm saying.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    In short holding onto the handrail negates most of the difficulty of the incline. You're effectively walking on a flat surface again since you're changing your center of gravity to align with the treadmill's plane. Sure there's a slight bit of effort needed to grasp the handrail but this is minimal.

Why do people hold the handrail? Because it makes the exercise significantly easier. They don't do it because it makes it burn more calories. If that was the goal they you'd simply add a slight incline and not hold the handrail. The goal is perceived effort intensity and not an actual increase in the difficulty of the exercise. Nobody is fooling anyone but if they wish to do that then I just shrug and say "Oh well".

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    This counts as exercise, right? I mean, he's moving, isn't he?

3af3aRPmEAB_460sa.gif
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I would agree that someone isnt' using their time as effectively - but that's none of my buisness.

I disagree about the stairmaster.

You do as much as you can without holding on- but at some point- you get fracking tired- and that's all there is to it- it's a change of body line- I try not to-but it happens. Spend more than 15 min on one of those things and you'll find yourself bent over half draped on the machine to.
    No doubt it's tough Jo. I'm sure you've seen people on it though at high speed settings, and totally leaning forward so far that their upper body is at a 45 degree angle hanging on for dear life. No one climbs stairs that way if they were just climbing. I'm just saying that many people put the resistance/speed to much more than they need to possibly thinking they are achieving more, when in truth they really aren't.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Indeed- I'd totally agree. I guess there's a difference of just over doing it and "holding on"/holding one's self up- versus just tired.
    Oh trust that I've leaned over just to get through the last few minutes on the Stepmill. For the most part, I stay upright, but mental or not, the last 3-4 minutes (I usually do 30-45 min) just seem tiring and long.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png