why limit fruit intake?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, nothing wrong with fruit. Some people currently are suspicious of carbs or specifically sugar, but there's nothing credible that I've seen.

It's generally better not to go overboard with anything, so I wouldn't make up a huge percentage of my overall calories with fruit, as you won't be getting protein or fat (which you need) or various nutrients that are found more in veggies or some other foods (like calcium or iron). I also don't find fruit especially filling for a meal (although people differ).

But the idea that we need to limit fruit to a small amount seems wrong.

I'd watch the calories and make sure you are getting enough of other things, but otherwise not worry about it.
  • ThisOrderedLife
    ThisOrderedLife Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    fructose is a different chemical then glucose and our body processes it differently. Glucose is the main nutrient (body uses it first) for energy in the brain and muscles. Therefore excess energy particularly fructose will be stored as fat by the liver.

HOWEVER fruit is a great healthy source of fibre and antioxidants so some intake is good just don't go bonkers on it
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    fructose is a different chemical then glucose and our body processes it differently. Glucose is the main nutrient (body uses it first) for energy in the brain and muscles. Therefore excess energy particularly fructose will be stored as fat by the liver.

HOWEVER fruit is a great healthy source of fibre and antioxidants so some intake is good just don't go bonkers on it

wait-what-dog.jpg
  • theston412
    theston412 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

wait-what-dog.jpg

I wish there was a like button for posts.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    A lot of bodybuilders would rather choose pure glucose sources because it can go directly to muscle glycogen, whereas fructose goes through the liver first. The liver has less capacity to store glycogen than muscle tissue, so a general rule floating around is to stay under 50 g of fructose a day. There is some research to support this, however, it ignores the logic that liver glycogen levels are constantly changing throughout the day. 50 g of fructose is still a lot of fruit though.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    Some fruits have higher sugar content than others obviously, but the sugars are naturally occurring and not processed.
    Does not matter either way as long as excess sugar does not come at the expense of nutrients...
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    The problem comes when you break down the fruit ie, into a smoothie. Because it's easier for the body to absorb. Because the fiber is also broken down you don't get the full advantage of this either, which the sugars would ordinarily cling to as the fiber is passed through the gut in a whole fruit. I would look into it if I where you, but in a nutshell that's the reason
    That seems nonsensical to me. I can see the fiber issue if you juice your fruit but a smoothie?
  • J72FIT
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eating fruit is fine. Just as with everything else, moderation is the key. And the best way to eat them is whole, not as a smoothie. Some are higher is calories and sugar content than others, such as grapes.

What's wrong with a smoothie?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    claris917 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Maybe some of you would know the answer why consuming fruits should be done in small amount. I dont get it cause 1) fruits are natural 2) full of nutrients 3) easy to prep and affordable.

Ive been receiving newletter from morellifit, maybe some of you are his clients and he's post are always "fruits (small amount)".

I know some fruits have high sugar but i dont know if thats the real deal with limiting fruits.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

You have to limit fruit just like you have to limit anything else...fruit has calories...you can't eat endless fruit. Beyond that, a nutritious and balanced diet is going to require more than just fruit. I have a couple servings of fruit daily and about 6 servings of vegetables (way more micro-nutrients), lots of lean protein, some whole grains, and healthy fats.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    If you are in a state of energy balance the body will likely not store excess fructose as fat long term...
    fruit is a great healthy source of fibre and antioxidants so some intake is good just don't go bonkers on it
    Don't go bonkers on anything...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I have no idea of the reasons behind the advice in your newsletter, but I limit fruit because I limit everything. I eat more vegetables than fruit because I find vegetables much more filling.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

fruit is a great healthy source of fibre and antioxidants so some intake is good just don't go bonkers on it
    Don't go bonkers on anything...
    [/quote]

Especially not this:

n1ad03unms8j.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    claris917 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Maybe some of you would know the answer why consuming fruits should be done in small amount. I dont get it cause 1) fruits are natural 2) full of nutrients 3) easy to prep and affordable.

Ive been receiving newletter from morellifit, maybe some of you are his clients and he's post are always "fruits (small amount)".

I know some fruits have high sugar but i dont know if thats the real deal with limiting fruits.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Some fruit tends to be rather high in calories. A banana, for example, can run about 100 cal. Pears are right up there too, around 100 cal. A mango is up around 130 cal.

So if you're on a 1200 cal/day diet (like some of us are), a banana, pear, and mango is 1/4 of your daily total.

But unfortunately they're not overly filling, and next thing you know you want something else to eat.

I usually limit it to one piece of fruit per day. Maybe two if I've got some exercise calories to work with.

• timwaagh
    timwaagh Posts: 15 Member
    Options

How many calories are you eating, as that does not sound sustainable? Also, the fats in avocados are healthy fats that are essential to keeping our bodie running.
    the non sustainability is inherent because i'm trying to lose weight (losing weight is an adaptation to starvation). I love avocado's. a favourite treat. I'm not calling them unhealthy. but they make you gain weight.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    timwaagh wrote: »

How many calories are you eating, as that does not sound sustainable? Also, the fats in avocados are healthy fats that are essential to keeping our bodie running.
    the non sustainability is inherent because i'm trying to lose weight (losing weight is an adaptation to starvation). I love avocado's. a favourite treat. I'm not calling them unhealthy. but they make you gain weight.

A calorie surplus makes you gain weight. Not an avocado...
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of research done on fruits has demonstrated numerous health benefits including decreased weight, decreased cancer, and longevity. So unless you're eating some crazy amount of fruit per day then there is no reason to worry about limiting them. Yes they have calories. Track your calories.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    The amount of derp that has been stuffed into this thread in only 2 pages is outstanding.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    timwaagh wrote: »
    if you want to fail, this is a great idea. my breakfast was a banana today. my lunch will likely be more fruit. my dinner will be normal. I lost more than 6 kg in a week or so. substitute meals with fruit, don't go for anti carb craze. its just an excuse for people who want to eat fat, fiber-free things. rememember atkins died overweight. the only fruits you should possibly avoid are dates and avocado (one is too sweet and the other is too much fat).

That-Is-The-Stupidest-Thing-Wolverine-Has-Ever-Heard.gif

Srsly....this is *kitten* stupid...