why limit fruit intake?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    timwaagh wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

How many calories are you eating, as that does not sound sustainable? Also, the fats in avocados are healthy fats that are essential to keeping our bodie running.
    the non sustainability is inherent because i'm trying to lose weight (losing weight is an adaptation to starvation). I love avocado's. a favourite treat. I'm not calling them unhealthy. but they make you gain weight.

I eat 1/2 an avocado per day...I lost 40 Lbs and have maintained for over 2 years...still eating at least 1/2 an avocado per day.

No particular food makes you fat...over consumption of calories makes you fat. Srsly...maybe do a little research before running off at the mouth.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    The amount of derp that has been stuffed into this thread in only 2 pages is outstanding.

Yeah...this *kitten* got stupid quick....
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have fruit in my smoothies every morning. I just make sure that I don't have more than one high sugar fruit at a time. So if I have a banana, then I pair with raspberries. I use the chart on this webpage as a guide:

http://www.thehealthyeatingguide.com/sugar-content-of-fruit/
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    The amount of derp that has been stuffed into this thread in only 2 pages is outstanding.

Yeah...this *kitten* got stupid quick....

It only takes one person who has no idea what he is talking about to derail a thread... Never change MFP! :)

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

How many calories are you eating, as that does not sound sustainable? Also, the fats in avocados are healthy fats that are essential to keeping our bodie running.
    the non sustainability is inherent because i'm trying to lose weight (losing weight is an adaptation to starvation). I love avocado's. a favourite treat. I'm not calling them unhealthy. but they make you gain weight.

You still want to make sure you're feeding your body. Most men should not be eating less than me, and my goal is 1720 a day.

Avocados will make you gain weight if you eat them after you've gone over your TDEE.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The Canada Food Guide recommends 7-8 portions of fruits and vegetables every day. That's practically limitless.

Fruits have carbohydrates in the form of glucose and fructose, fiber, and lots of micro-nutrients.

Dates keep you regular.

Avocados are full of heart-healthy fats.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of fruit because of sugar and carbs, since I am diabetic. I do enjoy occasional bags of apple slices (I have some in the fridge right now) and will have all-fruit or sugar-free fruit spread in my plain yogurt every morning. Other than that, my carbs/sugars come from the things I enjoy more than a bitty piece of fruit that does little to fill me up or keep me full. If you can fit fruit into your diet and enjoy the taste, eat it. :)
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    CandiceMcD wrote: »
    I have fruit in my smoothies every morning. I just make sure that I don't have more than one high sugar fruit at a time. So if I have a banana, then I pair with raspberries. I use the chart on this webpage as a guide:

http://www.thehealthyeatingguide.com/sugar-content-of-fruit/

I don't know how much I'd trust that article. Right off the bat I noticed it says 1 cup of grapes has 23g of sugar, but according to the USA, it only has 15g of sugar.
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2287?fgcd=Fruits+and+Fruit+Juices&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=35&offset=&sort=&qlookup=grapes

Also, the lists make no sense, because some of the fruits in the "low sugar" list have almost the same amount of sugar as the first few items in the "high sugar" list.
    For example, 1 medium banana has 14g of sugar and is in the low list, but Pineapple is in the high list with 16g of sugar in 1 cup. 2g of sugar isn't a huge difference, unless you're going to eat an entire pineapple.
  • CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I don't like, stare at it when I am making things. I use it as a guide. Mostly because I Was using whatever - and I was having a banana, pineapple, mangos and coconut water thinking I was being awesome...but it was a lot of sugar. I didn't notice because I was doing WW & they don't break things down. I am just trying to be more aware about it. I still eat the 'higher' sugar fruits - I just don't eat them all together. No article is going to tell me not to eat grapes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Weird list. I don't care about high and low sugar fruit, but even I know bananas usually count as high sugar.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

A calorie surplus makes you gain weight. Not an avocado...

I was just coming to say this. Avocados don't make you fat... just like pizza doesn't make you fat. No food in particular makes you fat.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I eat so many berries I'm surprised I haven't turned into a strawberry! By the way, 200g of strawberries is around 70 calories, so I can easily eat a pound of berries every day!

Courtesy of the usda database:
    00i5ijknxz34.png

96f78fe87ca9ff5603e814f0e56a24ec.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I limit fruit so I can eat more meat, and cheese cake and ice cream.
  • molaufy
    molaufy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Humans are supposed to eat 24 grams of sugar per day or less. Sugar stimulates appetite, promotes lethargy and turns into fat, if we overdo it. Hence, the reason to limit fruit.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    molaufy wrote: »
    Humans are supposed to eat 24 grams of sugar per day or less. Sugar stimulates appetite, promotes lethargy and turns into fat, if we overdo it. Hence, the reason to limit fruit.

Sugar only turns into fat if you are over your calorie limit, just like the calories from any other nutrient in a surplus. I wouldn't avoid fruit unless I had a medical reason to. Everything in moderation, and within your calorie limit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

That's probably for added sugar, not naturally occurring (such as in fruit or dairy), and if you have no reason to watch your sugar intake then it's okay to consume more.

Excess calories turns to fat, not excess sugar.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    claris917 wrote: »
    I know some fruits have high sugar but i dont know if thats the real deal with limiting fruits.

All calories count.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

well I'm going to sugar HELL then. Because I go waaay over mfp's sugar goal everyday, mostly because of fruit and milk. I don't add sugar to anything!

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Humans are supposed to eat 24 grams of sugar per day or less.

According to who?

The finest physical specimens we have - our athletes - consume a LOT more sugar than that.