why limit fruit intake?

Options
Hi guys,

Maybe some of you would know the answer why consuming fruits should be done in small amount. I dont get it cause 1) fruits are natural 2) full of nutrients 3) easy to prep and affordable.

Ive been receiving newletter from morellifit, maybe some of you are his clients and he's post are always "fruits (small amount)".

I know some fruits have high sugar but i dont know if thats the real deal with limiting fruits.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Fruits are carbs.... Carbs have sugar....sugar bad...rots teeth...devils brew
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Some fruits have higher sugar content than others obviously, but the sugars are naturally occurring and not processed. The problem comes when you break down the fruit ie, into a smoothie. Because it's easier for the body to absorb. Because the fiber is also broken down you don't get the full advantage of this either, which the sugars would ordinarily cling to as the fiber is passed through the gut in a whole fruit. I would look into it if I where you, but in a nutshell that's the reason
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It does not matter if they are so called "natural" or not. B)
    Individual reasons to limit fruit vary. Because I am not eating many animal products, I rarely have fruit in order to save my calories for foods with high protein -- like nuts and beans.
    In addition, I am more interested in getting enough fat in my diet so I limit carbs from fruits.
    Mainly and most importantly, I like fruits well enough but they are not my favorite foods.
    If you like fruits, eat them. <3
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Fruits are carbs.... Carbs have sugar....sugar bad...rots teeth...devils brew
    I hope this is a mickey take answer, because if it's not, its beyond uneducated!

• chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For me it's because carbs, carbs, carbs, carbs, carbs.

A banana just isn't worth it for that carb content!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    For me it's because carbs, carbs, carbs, carbs, carbs.

A banana just isn't worth it for that carb content!

Nothing wrong with carbs. Carbs give you energy energy is good. Bananas contain lots of yummy goodness as do lots of fruit. Any diet plan or so called professional who tells you to limit fruits should be ignored. Unless you have medical reasons to monitor carbs there is no reason to. Eat fruit people they contain lost of lovely Vitamins and fresh strawberries why would anyone in their right mind limit them?
  • mel_bleh_007
    mel_bleh_007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Because they make me hungry, the more sugar they have, the more they stimulate my appetite. I stick to not so sweet/ unsweetened fruit like tomatoes, pears, avocado
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with them, I'm just trying out low carb at the moment for my cut cycle :) I don't omit fruit, just usually chuck in 50g of frozen berries in my shake.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Lets say you have 5 servings of fruit and each of those servings has 100 calories. If you are on a 1500 calorie a day diet, you've used up 1/3 of your calories for that day on fruit.

If you didn't count that fruit at all, then you've eaten 2000 calories when you only meant to eat 1500.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Who told you to limit fruit? If the question is should you eat 5000 calories in fruit, the answer is no, same as it would be for any food. Same, if the question is should you have so many fruit that there is no room for anything else, again the answer is this is not a very balanced diet. But, other than this, no you should not limit fruit. When you hear people ranting against the evil of sugar in strawberries and bananas, then it is probably a smart idea to roll your eyes and move on with your life ;)
    Check here, and notice the "focus on fruit" guideline: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/about.html
    Also check here, and see how increase in fruit consumption appears to be directly linked with weight loss:
    http://my.americanheart.org/idc/groups/ahamah-public/@wcm/@sop/@scon/documents/downloadable/ucm_461921.pdf
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    claris917 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Maybe some of you would know the answer why consuming fruits should be done in small amount. I dont get it cause 1) fruits are natural 2) full of nutrients 3) easy to prep and affordable.

Ive been receiving newletter from morellifit, maybe some of you are his clients and he's post are always "fruits (small amount)".

I know some fruits have high sugar but i dont know if thats the real deal with limiting fruits.

I love fruit (too much). I'm limiting myself to berries at the moment, and the occasional 1/2 grapefruit, because I'm following a low-carb diet and keeping careful track of sugar. Too much fruit makes me hungrier and crave more concentrated sweet things.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I love fruit (too much). I'm limiting myself to berries at the moment, and the occasional 1/2 grapefruit, because I'm following a low-carb diet and keeping careful track of sugar. Too much fruit makes me hungrier and crave more concentrated sweet things.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Lets say you have 5 servings of fruit and each of those servings has 100 calories. If you are on a 1500 calorie a day diet, you've used up 1/3 of your calories for that day on fruit.

If you didn't count that fruit at all, then you've eaten 2000 calories when you only meant to eat 1500.

If I ate that much fruit, I'd be in the bathroom all day so I wouldn't have time to eat the rest of my calories!
  • timwaagh
    timwaagh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    if you want to fail, this is a great idea. my breakfast was a banana today. my lunch will likely be more fruit. my dinner will be normal. I lost more than 6 kg in a week or so. substitute meals with fruit, don't go for anti carb craze. its just an excuse for people who want to eat fat, fiber-free things. rememember atkins died overweight. the only fruits you should possibly avoid are dates and avocado (one is too sweet and the other is too much fat).
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    timwaagh wrote: »
    I lost more than 6 kg in a week or so.

So you had a 54,000 Kcal deficit in a week? That's amazing!
    Please do share your secret!

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Because everybody has an opinion.

Use YOUR common sense to form YOUR own opinion.
  • bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Because it's possible to eat 1000 cal in fruit a day. Natural doesn't mean free-for-all.
  • nanabear1379
    nanabear1379 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eating fruit is fine. Just as with everything else, moderation is the key. And the best way to eat them is whole, not as a smoothie. Some are higher is calories and sugar content than others, such as grapes.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    timwaagh wrote: »
    if you want to fail, this is a great idea. my breakfast was a banana today. my lunch will likely be more fruit. my dinner will be normal. I lost more than 6 kg in a week or so. substitute meals with fruit, don't go for anti carb craze. its just an excuse for people who want to eat fat, fiber-free things. rememember atkins died overweight. the only fruits you should possibly avoid are dates and avocado (one is too sweet and the other is too much fat).

How many calories are you eating, as that does not sound sustainable? Also, the fats in avocados are healthy fats that are essential to keeping our bodie running.

OP, eat what you want in moderation. As long as you aren't going crazy like the banana girl (don't look her up), you'll be fine.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Nothing wrong with fruit if you can fit it into your calorie goals :)