why limit fruit intake?

Options

Replies

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    molaufy wrote: »
    Humans are supposed to eat 24 grams of sugar per day or less. Sugar stimulates appetite, promotes lethargy and turns into fat, if we overdo it. Hence, the reason to limit fruit.

Says who and how did they decide that? Every human regardless size, age, gender or physical condition? That seems like quite a broad generalization.

The only reason to limit fruit is that you've devoted yourself to the idea that sugar is the enemy no matter what.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Humans are supposed to eat 24 grams of sugar per day or less. Sugar stimulates appetite, promotes lethargy and turns into fat, if we overdo it. Hence, the reason to limit fruit.

well I'm going to sugar HELL then. Because I go waaay over mfp's sugar goal everyday, mostly because of fruit and milk. I don't add sugar to anything!

Me too, but I add sugar to my fruit and milk :love:

Mmm, strawberries with milk, a dash of cream, and sugar! Or blueberries, can't wait for them to come into season!
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is a comprehensive link for fruit and vegetable consumption issued by the Australian Government: https://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/food-essentials/five-food-groups/fruit

It recommends 2 x fruit and 5 x vegetable servings per day. I try to incorporate this into my daily goals as I'm also aiming for healthy and hoping to set a good example for my kids (who occasionally complain about other children having packets of sugar/salt goodies in their lunch boxes - but that's a whole other story).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of fruit because of sugar and carbs, since I am diabetic. I do enjoy occasional bags of apple slices (I have some in the fridge right now) and will have all-fruit or sugar-free fruit spread in my plain yogurt every morning. Other than that, my carbs/sugars come from the things I enjoy more than a bitty piece of fruit that does little to fill me up or keep me full. If you can fit fruit into your diet and enjoy the taste, eat it. :)

You are diabetic and a dr told you to avoid fruit???? Not spread throughout the day, but actually avoid???
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I don't eat a lot of fruit because of sugar and carbs, since I am diabetic. I do enjoy occasional bags of apple slices (I have some in the fridge right now) and will have all-fruit or sugar-free fruit spread in my plain yogurt every morning. Other than that, my carbs/sugars come from the things I enjoy more than a bitty piece of fruit that does little to fill me up or keep me full. If you can fit fruit into your diet and enjoy the taste, eat it. :)

You are diabetic and a dr told you to avoid fruit???? Not spread throughout the day, but actually avoid???

Where did I say that?
  • kmab1985
    kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    But isn't eating 500 calories of fruit better than eating 500 calories worth of chocolate/crisps etc!! I love fruit and although don't eat it all day long, I sometimes will have 2 bananas which I see as better than eating a bag of crisps! Yeah I could eat a yogurt or nuts (as some might say) but I prefer fruit.

Plus eating them whole is just the same as making them in a smoothie, your still adding the whole fruit to your smoothie maker but mushing it up.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    But isn't eating 500 calories of fruit better than eating 500 calories worth of chocolate/crisps etc!! I love fruit and although don't eat it all day long, I sometimes will have 2 bananas which I see as better than eating a bag of crisps! Yeah I could eat a yogurt or nuts (as some might say) but I prefer fruit.

Plus eating them whole is just the same as making them in a smoothie, your still adding the whole fruit to your smoothie maker but mushing it up.

I agree.

And I don't get the bolded part either! I have a banana, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries every day in my smoothie.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Where did I say that?

The bolded part. Which seems kind of the opposite from the usual recommended diet plan for diabetics.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Where did I say that?

The bolded part. Which seems kind of the opposite from the usual recommended diet plan for diabetics.

I think she means that because she has a limited carb allowance she usually skips the fruit because she likes other carb-heavy things more and would rather spend her allowance on them.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm a total freak of nature. i will eat every vegetable under the sun*, eat upwards of 8 serves a day...

I hate fresh fruit. Have since infancy. I can count on one hand the number of different fruits I've even tried (apple, pear, watermelon, I once ate a cherry after a good 20 mins of cajoling by friends). It's almost a phobia, I won't eat anything that's touched fresh fruit. I've eaten crickets, witchetty grubs, snails, frogs legs. I've eaten foods I couldn't even identify. But as soon as it's fruit, I completely ick out. God forbid it's strawberries, even watching someone eat them makes me queasy.

I'll eat some fruits cooked, like berries, apples, pears and I'll occasionally eat some dried fruits, but yeah. Freak of nature.

*except the ones that are fruits masquerading as vegetable, the filthy liars.
  • timwaagh
    timwaagh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    timwaagh wrote: »
    I lost more than 6 kg in a week or so.

So you had a 54,000 Kcal deficit in a week? That's amazing!
    Please do share your secret!

eat little (fruit plus some dinner) and do lots of exercise (cycling, 44km on most work days). also, have your heart broken. the figure is just what the scale said so to translate that into a calorie figure is not accurate. besides 9000/kilo is on the high side. i've heard things like 7700.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    The amount of derp that has been stuffed into this thread in only 2 pages is outstanding.
    This +1 honestly some of you are well bonkers.
  • got2be160
    got2be160 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have been following this for 2 weeks and enjoying it
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Where on earth did you get that idea?
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm ripped, full of energy, very active and eat a orange and banana sometimes two everyday.. It comes down to calories and exercise. My desk at work always has fruits on it..

"WOW" what has the world come to when you become a "Rebel" for eating fruit???

sbekqeswbcwo.jpg
  • claris917
    claris917 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love all the ideas and opinion guys :)

And i agree with most of you. Im all for fruits but doesnt mean thats the only thing ill eat all day. I just always have an apple and maybe an orange. Maybe at around 2 servings of fruits a day.

im just baffled by some fitness ideas of limiting it. He even said limit nuts :( which i wont follow too cause i love em. But that doesnt mean ill finish a kilo of almonds while watching a movie.