Electronic Cigarettes

Options
13»

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you, but here in the states it triggers adrenaline release, putting your body into a fight or flight state, raises your heart rate, increases your blood pressure, and constricts blood vessels.

Hate to tell you - but caffeine has those _exact_ same effects.
    Wow, I'm impressed that you know more than the Mayo Clinic. You might want to apply for a job there so you can set them straight because they apparently believe it doesn't: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coffee-and-health/AN01354

Dosage and context are important...

There are numerous studies that show that nicotine, while highly addictive, is no more harmful than caffeine in appropriate doses.
    AMEN! Some people just feel the need to be up on their high horses about things. It is what it is. Is it GOOD for you? No. Did anyone SAY that it was GOOD FOR YOU? Again, no. But it is far LESS harmful than the added chemicals (and carcinogens) found in traditional cigarettes/cigars/smokeless tobacco/etc. Get a grip... SMH
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Check out Blucigs.com. I just set my son up with a starter kit and he has not had a real cigarette in over 2 weeks. Granted nicotine is not the best thing to be putting in one's body but these are a lot healthier for you than real smokes. The nice part is that they have various levels of nicotine so if you are really trying to quit you can slowly lower your intake. I am am an ex-smoker (2 years, 5 months today) and would definately have liked one of these for my birthday. In addition to the health benefits they also save you about $80 on every $100 carton of cigarettes..... BTW one of the reasons smokers crave nicotine is because that is how the endorphine system kicks on for smokers; takes about 3 months from the time you quit smoking to have the endorphine system start to work on its own again so it is really a good plan to exercise when quiting, at least you get an endorphine boost this way.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Hate to tell you, but here in the states it triggers adrenaline release, putting your body into a fight or flight state, raises your heart rate, increases your blood pressure, and constricts blood vessels.

Wow, I'm impressed that you know more than the Mayo Clinic. You might want to apply for a job there so you can set them straight because they apparently believe it doesn't: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/coffee-and-health/AN01354

Please _read_ your article before you post it.

It does not say what you think it does.

I agree - coffee contains caffeine, a relatively harmless stimulant. Like nicotine.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options

I agree - coffee contains caffeine, a relatively harmless stimulant. Like nicotine.

Show me where in the article it says caffeine has "those exact same effects," as your post claims. The closest I could find was:

"However, the research appears to bear out some risks. High consumption of unfiltered coffee is associated with mild elevations in cholesterol levels. And another study found that two or more cups of coffee a day can increase the risk of heart disease in people with a specific — and fairly common — genetic mutation that slows the breakdown of caffeine in the body. So, how quickly you metabolize coffee may affect your health risk."

I also love how the majority of the "harmless dose" studies are from people funded directly or indirectly by tobacco interests.
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    I don't want to get into the argument - but I smoked for about 30 years, and quit using the E-GoT electronic cigarette. I then told my father, who had smoked filterless Camels for over 50 years, and he quit using this method as well. I have another friend who came along for the ride, and it has worked for him as well.
    The only advice on what to use that I have, is to forget about the dime-store cigarette look a likes and get a good version, and do not back off the nicotine content at first - save that for later.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options

Show me where in the article it says caffeine has "those exact same effects," as your post claims. The closest I could find was:

"However, the research appears to bear out some risks. High consumption of unfiltered coffee is associated with mild elevations in cholesterol levels. And another study found that two or more cups of coffee a day can increase the risk of heart disease in people with a specific — and fairly common — genetic mutation that slows the breakdown of caffeine in the body. So, how quickly you metabolize coffee may affect your health risk."

Are you reading at all? The article you posted was whether or not coffee is dangerous. I agree - coffee (and caffeine and nicotine) is not that dangerous. But you apparently thought that this would somehow prove that nicotine was more dangerous or that caffeine did not "triggers adrenaline release, putting your body into a fight or flight state, raises your heart rate, increases your blood pressure, and constricts blood vessels." ??

If you actually don't believe that caffeine will cause the same list of effects (I'm starting to think you're trolling) - This will be pretty easy for you.

Google each of your super scary effects and caffeine. Then use some really basic research skills to check the quality of those sources.

Caffeine and adrenaline:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=caffeine+and+adrenaline
    http://brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/nutrition_&_eating_concerns/caffeine.php

Caffeine and heart rate:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=caffeine+and+heart+rate
    http://www.uhs.umich.edu/caffeine

etc. I pulled out a couple accessible articles - but if you want to dig deeper you can find links to the actual studies easily enough using the same methods.

Or you could just realize that caffeine and nicotine are both stimulants and will both have essentially the same effects on your body?
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get into the argument - but I smoked for about 30 years, and quit using the E-GoT electronic cigarette. I then told my father, who had smoked filterless Camels for over 50 years, and he quit using this method as well. I have another friend who came along for the ride, and it has worked for him as well.
    The only advice on what to use that I have, is to forget about the dime-store cigarette look a likes and get a good version, and do not back off the nicotine content at first - save that for later.

EGo-T is what I used too. That is probably the best on the market. Thanks for pointing out that those e-cigs you buy at the gas station/convenience stores are nothing but garbage. That was THE WORST $45 I have ever spent. If you are going to go this route, do yourself a favor and invest in something that will last you a while.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

EGo-T is what I used too. That is probably the best on the market. Thanks for pointing out that those e-cigs you buy at the gas station/convenience stores are nothing but garbage. That was THE WORST $45 I have ever spent. If you are going to go this route, do yourself a favor and invest in something that will last you a while.
    I know people who've used the E-GoT as well, who liked it. I actually considered that for a while when I was using my e-cig fairly regularly. But I also want to point out that you *can* get a decent one that has a battery that is a similar size to a traditional cigarette, that will actually work well, too. The ones at the gas station/convenience stores are garbage, agreed, but not all e-cigs that appear like that are. It's all in what the person wants/needs.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    rizerhome.jpg

bawajajajajajahahahahaha..
    \LMFAO
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I don't want to get into the argument...

what argument? we r just helpfully and thoughtfully answering a question, OR we r completely f-ing around b/c it's what we do. u r obviously not f-ing around with this one, so there's no need to be bashful. :happy: :happy: :happy:

i love how everything is like at least
    10-20% COMPLETE CRAP RESPONSES
    30-60% reasoned, pertinent
    40-50% just posting to post something
    ...depending upon the topic*.

MFP is cute.

*don't check my math because it's different per topic and some of the above percentages overlap anyhow. there are individual formulae for these which i am too lazy to work out. i'm sure it's been done already.

edited for spelling
  • BobMcCloskey
    BobMcCloskey Posts: 117
    Options
    I use a brand called Njoy. You can get them at Walgreens for about $8.50 each, or online here at www.njoy.com. Each one is equivalent to about a pack and a half of smokes. The reason why I prefer these to all of the other brands of e-cigarettes out there is that first, these actually LOOK and FEEL and even TASTE like a real cigarette! They come in mild, full flavor, and menthol. Second the company has a recycle program. When you mail them back 8 finished e-smokes, they send you a new one for free.

I disagree with the people that say this is a horrible birthday gift. I actually think it is a great idea! While it is true that the electronic smoke is just another means to introduce nicotine into the body, nicotine does not cause cancer! It is all of the other carcinogens contained in tobacco, like tar, that are introduced into the lungs which cause cancer. None of these are found in an e-cigarette. It is only water vapor, vegetable oil, a flavor additive, and nicotine. I for one enjoy them.

Good luck with helping your friend to quit smoking!

Bob
  • Caddell
    Caddell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use SmokeTip and have been using it for about a month. So far, I've only had a couple regular cigs since switching. And those were more because my battery died and I didn't have my spare with me for some reason. Its more expensive than a disposable, but I always believe you get what you pay for.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Dont remember the date, but between 12:00 - 1:00 PM, on the first Monday of the month in 1988, I attended a regular monthly meeting.

One of the guys sitting next to me was chomping on Nicorette gum like a mad man while smoking like a chimney. LOL I casually asked him about the gum and how it didnt seem to be working for him. He laughed and offered me a piece. I was a heavy smoker at the time and had never really thought about quitting, but I accepted the gum and popped in my mouth.

About 3:00 PM (still chomping on the gum) I realized that I hadnt had a cigarette since that meeting. Back then a doctor's prescription was required for Nicorette so I called and told the recp that it was an emergency and I needed to come in immediately. She laughed and I was sitting in front of the doc by 4:30. He asked if I was seriously wanting to quit and I told him I hadnt given it much thought. I really enjoyed smoking. He said since I hadnt committed he didnt think it would work for me, but he wrote the script anyway.

Long story short, by happenstance, I havent had a cigarette since that day.

The friend who "turned me on" to Nicorette never quit and is still a smoker. He came very close to death 4 years ago as he suffered a pretty bad heart attack. Every time I see him I remember he is the reason that Im a non smoker.

Today, though Im overweight (thyroid), Ive been a cyclist & now a runner since around 1994. (ran 75 miles last month)

I think the E Cigarette is a fine gift, and if it works, it will be a gift that your friend will always be grateful to you for. Ignore these clueless "experts". Go for it, it's a very thoughtful gift.
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    I don't want to get into the argument...

what argument? we r just helpfully and thoughtfully answering a question, OR we r completely f-ing around b/c it's what we do. u r obviously not f-ing around with this one, so there's no need to be bashful. :happy: :happy: :happy:

i love how everything is like at least
    10-20% COMPLETE CRAP RESPONSES
    30-60% reasoned, pertinent
    40-50% just posting to post something
    ...depending upon the topic*.

MFP is cute.

*don't check my math because it's different per topic and some of the above percentages overlap anyhow. there are individual formulae for these which i am too lazy to work out. i'm sure it's been done already.

edited for spelling

Yes, I was just adding my two cents. I just didn't want to get into the caffeine/nicotine battle!