THE UP3 EXISTS!! IT FINALLY ARRIVED!!

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Haha, great.

On the BodyMedia website they already explained why the wrist is not a good location for this kind of fitness trackers. Skin Temperature & Heat Flux sensors are not accurate on the wrist, and it's the same with the Acceleration sensor.

I wish they would have released the "Core 2" that they presented at the CES 2013 in Las Vegas. It would have been all I ever wished for. But then came Jawbone... (Check YouTube if you want to see the "BodyMedia Core 2").

However, hope dies last. So looking forward to the Up3 vs. BodyMedia Fit Link comparison :wink:

All. Of. This. So. Damn. Much.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    I lucked out and found a BodyMedia Link on clearance new for $69, so the comparison begins tomorrow :-)
  • AlexBulkFit
    AlexBulkFit Posts: 12 Member
    Great!

By the way, where did you find it for $69?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Great!

By the way, where did you find it for $69?

It was a random find at Walmart, which was weird because I don't recall ever seeing them for sale at Walmart.
  • Stephanie5816
    Stephanie5816 Posts: 7 Member
    edited May 2015
    I am going to wear my body media tomorrow and can report as well. I got the up 3 days ago and am not at all impressed so far. I decided to purchase it because of the tan line I was getting from my body media arm band (and the appearance while it's on) but so far it seems as though up3 is not accurate at all when compared to the body media arm band, or maybe it's just not showing all of the detail. I originally purchased the body media arm band because not everyone exerts the same level of effort for the same tasks, and I just didn't think what MFP was suggesting was accurate.

Other than longing for the body media armband features (mostly add'l detail/website):
    -I barely noticed I was wearing the wristband after the first day, though I did tend to bump it on things.
    -I really like the "smart alarm" feature and alarms. I will miss them if this doesn't work out.
    -I have experienced the lack of tap recognition so many have commented on.

Edited because I figured out how to find the calories finally.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Yesterday, I noticed that holding my fiance's hand tended to put my Up3 in sleep mode repeatedly. It was fine, it didn't mess up the reporting, but it was annoying.

Today, I've noticed from the beginning that the Up3 seems to think I'll burn about 100 calories less than the Bodymedia. That might be because I had some...errr...exercise...in bed, without steps, which the Bodymedia picked up.
  • Tommysmalz
    Tommysmalz Posts: 2 Member
    Well the up 3 should be picking up calories burned by not step exercise. Otherwise I don't see sense of the new sensors.
    And it would be pretty useless in the gym for weight lifting :(
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Currently, the sensors are used ONLY for sleep monitoring, per an email from Jawbone:

Thanks for reaching out to us and sharing these details about your experiences so far with UP3. We can definitely provide some clarification regarding our sensor platform and logging workouts, as well as the points raised on tracking sleep.

With the bioimpedance technology in UP3, we are starting by capturing Resting Heart Rate and using that data to help users interpret their data with a relevant measure of heart health. With that being said, the sensor platform will be receiving various firmware updates to enable and unlock new features in the near future. So essentially, UP3 users will receive new features through the sensor technology on the bands throughout their ownership of the product.

When logging workouts, UP measures calories burned by establishing your basal metabolic rate (BMR), calculated from your age, weight, height and activity levels using the most up to date published medical standards. Understanding how your activity increases the amount of calories burned over your BMR is one of the most effective ways to manage your weight. The sensors in UP3 are not currently used to detect skin temperature or effort level; they are used to measure Resting Heart Rate, as mentioned above. The effort level of any logged activity defaults to "easy" and is then adjusted by the user in the app, which changes calories burned based on that BMR. We are planning to release more advanced tracking features through the sensor technology, and you can read more about these plans here: https://jawbone.com/blog/up3-advanced-multi-sensor-technology/
  • AlexBulkFit
    AlexBulkFit Posts: 12 Member
    I am happy we have even one more to compare the two devices. However, an early conclusion looks bad for the Up3.

I totally agree with the appearance of the BodyMedia, especially during the summer. A wrist device in general attracts much less attention as most people wear a watch or another thing around the wrist anyway. But I think an armband can look much more unobtrusive than the BodyMedia Fit Link looks now. The white color of the device and the grey armband really have a medical touch. With, lets say, a black color and a thinner device & armband people would probably assume its a more sporty thing from Nike (or should I say from Under Armour since they just acquired MFP). And Stephanie confirmed what I was wondering about with a wrist device. I would probably pump it all the time or scratch it on the corner of my laptop.

Then we come back to the very core features of the device. At least for me all I care is Calories Burned + Sleep Tracking and Smart Alarm are features I enjoy/would enjoy. Counting steps is nice but I don't really care, almost never look at that number (except when on a trip or during sightseeing on vacation, damn that number gets high!). Having the Up3 not even recognizing the mentioned ...basic... exercises is inacceptable. What about indoor cycling? Don't really move the wrist there either!

All in all very sad for a device that is praised as "The world's most advanced tracker". Theoretically, on the paper, considering the technology that is build in - maybe. But then it would also be waterproof as announced half a year ago. It borders on insolence that marketing material always shows all the sensors of the device but then they do not even function (yet?). It sounds like an attempt to let buyers keep the device until the 60-day money back guarantee runs out.

The Up3 is now a basic fitness tracker with a premium price for an average consumer who wants to hop on the healthy/fitness trend. But the Up2 is more than enough for that. The app can give fancy insights to improve the health or fitness anyway.

Why not have both the Up and a new version of the BodyMedia side-by-side in the product line? That would be sweet and if it really is a device that is based on accurate measurements of Calories Burned and with a better design I am happy to pay them a premium!

Looking forward to your experiences during the next days wearing both devices. :smile:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Too bad they didn't release the Core2 which was already in development before Jawbone bought BodyMedia.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    From the Jawbone blog: Our purpose is to help you develop healthy habits for long-term heart health. Heart rate during workout and heart rate throughout the day are easily influenced by external factors. Resting heart rate on the other hand is devoid of such external influences. And because managing resting heart rate is the single most important thing you can do to improve your cardiac health, that’s what we’ve focused on initially for UP3 and UP4. So out of the box, we will deliver resting heart rate as a measure of heart health. But very soon, we will unlock “passive” and “on-demand” heart rate – both updates that will come over the air – allowing you to see your heart rate at any time throughout the day.
    https://jawbone.com/blog/up3-wearable-heart-rate-monitor/

I just hope they do this before August when it'll be released here and there will be reviews about the updates product

the problem with the resting heart rate theory is that they aren't providing any actionable information. Oh, my RHR is high? Great......now what should I do about it?

Not completely true... This morning my resting heart rate was above average and the app told me that can happen when I'm dehydrated and asked me to commit to drinking 8 glasses of water today and presented an easy way to track them. It also pointed out that I slept later than normal, and apparently when I sleep late I get fewer steps that day. The app is the one thing I have been impressed by in all this.

Touche
  • DavPul
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    From the Jawbone blog: Our purpose is to help you develop healthy habits for long-term heart health. Heart rate during workout and heart rate throughout the day are easily influenced by external factors. Resting heart rate on the other hand is devoid of such external influences. And because managing resting heart rate is the single most important thing you can do to improve your cardiac health, that’s what we’ve focused on initially for UP3 and UP4. So out of the box, we will deliver resting heart rate as a measure of heart health. But very soon, we will unlock “passive” and “on-demand” heart rate – both updates that will come over the air – allowing you to see your heart rate at any time throughout the day.

I just hope they do this before August when it'll be released here and there will be reviews about the updates product

the problem with the resting heart rate theory is that they aren't providing any actionable information. Oh, my RHR is high? Great......now what should I do about it?

Not completely true... This morning my resting heart rate was above average and the app told me that can happen when I'm dehydrated and asked me to commit to drinking 8 glasses of water today and presented an easy way to track them. It also pointed out that I slept later than normal, and apparently when I sleep late I get fewer steps that day. The app is the one thing I have been impressed by in all this.

Yah I like the UP app for it's insights as well...and it seems to be getting "smarter" it is now asking me if I was exercising if it sees a spike in my activity.

Therein lies my fatal flaw with it. My 3 year old BMF doesn't ask me anything and doesn't require me to tell it anything. Sleep? Working out? Running? Riding a bike? Nothing. It just tracks automatically and gives me accurate info. Today I moved and even though it was all slow speed steps, it gave me a huge calorie bump because it recognized the incredible effort that went into moving all that crap.

Make my BMF waterproof so I can wear it on my tough mudder next week and I'm a happy man. The UP3, and everything that happened with BMF after jawbone purchased them has been a level 5 disaster
  • DavPul
    I lucked out and found a BodyMedia Link on clearance new for $69, so the comparison begins tomorrow :-)

You should have bought a crate. I'd give you $100 to have a backup to the one I'm wearing right now
  • SnuggleSmacks

You should have bought a crate. I'd give you $100 to have a backup to the one I'm wearing right now

I wish! Alas, they only had one. But you can still find them on Ebay, some apparently new in sealed box. Just not for $69.
  • LepperMessiah1
    LepperMessiah1 Posts: 102 Member
    First night with my MiFit. Sleep tracking seems fairly accurate. Not bad for $25.
    yn69vpdjoair.png
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Here's a comparison between the two for yesterday. It was a light day because of thunderstorms all day, and then I worked my desk job, so not many steps. There's a 263 calorie difference in the daily burn, yet only a 59 step difference. So far today, there's nearly a 162 step difference and a 91 calorie difference, but like yesterday, the BM has the higher calorie burn.

Screenshot_2015-05-02-12-03-03.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-02-12-03-25.png
  • DavPul
    how tall are you? or more like, how short are you? 1500 is an awfully low burn for an entire day, even a sedentary day like that one.

i'd be interested in seeing the comparison on days where a workout took place, both lifting and cardio. and am i getting this right, that you have to manually put the Up3 into workout mode or go back and tell it what your workout time of the day was?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited May 2015
    I'm 5'3". The BodyMedia I had before was extremely accurate. As long as I was tracking my food carefully, I could predict with great accuracy exactly how my weight would fluctuate while wearing it. It consistently gave readings between around 1700 (on really lazy or sick days) and 2300 on more active days. I think I'd have to be in a coma to burn 1500 calories in a whole day.

And yes, you have to input exercise in the Up app. That way it knows to use logorythms using height, weight, activity and perceived effort to calculate a calorie burn, because currently it doesn't use the sensors for that. Supposedly, that will change in some amorphous future update. As it stands, there's a 60 day money-back guarantee from Jawbone, and they have about 52 days to do that update or else they're getting this Up3 back.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    And this is why I am probably going to return the Up3. 400 CALORIES?? 400????!!!!???

rgv9a34qjdhm.jpg
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yah I like the UP app for it's insights as well...and it seems to be getting "smarter" it is now asking me if I was exercising if it sees a spike in my activity.

Therein lies my fatal flaw with it. My 3 year old BMF doesn't ask me anything and doesn't require me to tell it anything. Sleep? Working out? Running? Riding a bike? Nothing. It just tracks automatically and gives me accurate info. Today I moved and even though it was all slow speed steps, it gave me a huge calorie bump because it recognized the incredible effort that went into moving all that crap.

Make my BMF waterproof so I can wear it on my tough mudder next week and I'm a happy man. The UP3, and everything that happened with BMF after jawbone purchased them has been a level 5 disaster

My Up (not Up24 nor Up3) does the same without any interference but if you want to time an activity you can set it to do that and then if you want you can go in and give more information such as type of exercise and effort. But you don't have to it will record the extra work as well and give you the calories for it.

The app (which is now updated) is asking for more info based on non timed activity. Like yesterday I was doing housework and it asked if I was exercising as I was "moving more"...
    And this is why I am probably going to return the Up3. 400 CALORIES?? 400????!!!!???

rgv9a34qjdhm.jpg

See if it were me based on what I see I would believe the UP...5 ft 3 hardly any steps and you expect a 2k burn?

I am 5 ft 7, lift heavy 4x a week and get in on average 8k steps without cardio and my maintenance is 2k.