THE UP3 EXISTS!! IT FINALLY ARRIVED!!

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The reason she believes the BMF is because she got a history with it accurately predicting her weight based on the calories. I wouldn't use the steps as a true guide because it doesn't reflect effort. I'll have high step days with low calorie counts and vice versa. She could have ridden a spin bike hard for 45 mins or something (her screen shot looks like mine when I spin - mostly moderate exercise mins and vigorous only on the hill climb minutes).

So the regular up doesn't require input but the higher end models do? Something smells fishy in the jawbone research labs....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    The reason she believes the BMF is because she got a history with it accurately predicting her weight based on the calories. I wouldn't use the steps as a true guide because it doesn't reflect effort. I'll have high step days with low calorie counts and vice versa. She could have ridden a spin bike hard for 45 mins or something (her screen shot looks like mine when I spin - mostly moderate exercise mins and vigorous only on the hill climb minutes).

So the regular up doesn't require input but the higher end models do? Something smells fishy in the jawbone research labs....

No none of them do...it's an option if you want to do it for the app itself.

I set my timer when I start my workout...I shut it off when I am done. I go into the app and edit the timed session.

Or

I don't start the timer and do my workout and it records it anyway without a set time just as an increase in activity.

I prefer to use the timer as I like to calibrate my jawbone based on my cardio workouts...makes it more accurate.

but my understanding is that regardless of the activity tracker they all use a similar calculation for calories etc.

Height, age, weight, perceived effort, time of workout etc.

Consider they are all pretty much the same I believe the one that will be accurate is the one you used the most and have calibrated frequently.

The Jawbone in this case has been used for 8 days the BFM (this particular one) one day...I would trust the jawbone.

As well I suspect the longer both are used the closer they would get in burns etc.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    See if it were me based on what I see I would believe the UP...5 ft 3 hardly any steps and you expect a 2k burn?

I am 5 ft 7, lift heavy 4x a week and get in on average 8k steps without cardio and my maintenance is 2k.

I'm afraid you're mistaken. A 5'3" 150 lb female has a BMR of around 1400 calories, and a TDEE of around 1700 at sedentary. The average steps is around 5000 in the US... 8000 is lightly active. Add in a cardio workout and going up and down steps, plus a light weight workout, and it's not hard to hit 2000 calories. The numbers that the Up3 reports are way off. They could only be accurate if 8000 steps, including stairs, a short weight session and a cardio session burn only around 200 calories.

• SezxyStef
    Options
    See if it were me based on what I see I would believe the UP...5 ft 3 hardly any steps and you expect a 2k burn?

I am 5 ft 7, lift heavy 4x a week and get in on average 8k steps without cardio and my maintenance is 2k.

I'm afraid you're mistaken. A 5'3" female has a BMR of around 1400 calories, and a TDEE of around 1700 at sedentary. The average steps is around 5000 in the US... 8000 is lightly active. Add in a cardio workout and going up and down steps, plus a light weight workout, and it's not hard to hit 2000 calories. The numbers that the Up3 reports are way off. They could only be accurate if 8000 steps, including stairs, a short weight session and a cardio session burn only around 200 calories.

I am 5 ft 7 151lb average 10k steps a day lift 4x a week and have been lifting for 2 years...my maintenance is 2k...

so for someone who is 5 ft 3 hard to believe you would have the same maintenance with a 7h idle time..sorry.

I know how easy it is to hit 2k calories I do it everyday plus.

for example on Thursday I did a heavy lifting session, walked 30min at 4mph plus my longest idle time was 27min...

I got in 14k steps with the walk and my total burn was 2288...sounds correct based on my history.

I have also had my up for almost a year and it is calibrated very well...again the longer you have one of these the more accurate it is.

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I wonder how it calibrates itself on calorie burn when you have no way to tell it when it's wrong and needs to change.

I can't speak for your situation, but you're welcome to look at a TDEE calculator with my stats and see what you think. Regardless, on my more active days I consistently registered 2000-2200 cals on my BM before, and it was calibrated perfectly. On the flip side, staying in bed sick all day would barely net me over 1600. The Up3 is definitely wrong.

I'm willing to give it a little time for updates... The 60 day return policy period is how long Jawbone has to correct the calculations and at least begin rolling out the software updates for the additional sensors.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna buy a backup BMF. I ain't got time to be "calibrating" a new device.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I wonder how it calibrates itself on calorie burn when you have no way to tell it when it's wrong and needs to change.

I can't speak for your situation, but you're welcome to look at a TDEE calculator with my stats and see what you think. Regardless, on my more active days I consistently registered 2000-2200 cals on my BM before, and it was calibrated perfectly. On the flip side, staying in bed sick all day would barely net me over 1600. The Up3 is definitely wrong.

I'm willing to give it a little time for updates... The 60 day return policy period is how long Jawbone has to correct the calculations and at least begin rolling out the software updates for the additional sensors.

to calibrate my "old" jawbone you go to your band (where you set silent alarms etc) the top part and go to where it has your band name and down bottom it has "find band" "calibrate" "help"...touch calibrate then click start calibration and it will have all your timed workouts...I only calibrate it with my walking/running which is all on fairly flat areas so it's pretty consistent.

As for your TDEE I won't disagree but a calm day 1600 sounds about right imo esp with 7 hours of idle time.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So you don't think that 9 minutes of "vigorous" activity (meaning strenuous) and 35 minutes of "moderate" activity (meaning, more effort than a walk on a flat road) in addition to the light activity which would make the the rest of the 8000+ steps would amount to more than 200 calories? Seven hours of idle time = working at a desk...so what about the other 9 hours of the day when I was awake and not idle? With a BMR of 1400, that doesn't leave much room for activity to reach 1600, does it?

The Up3 has no "calibrate" option on that page. I'll be glad to post a screenshot of it.

(Actually, no I won't...when I try, it says "DRM protected image" and won't do a screenshot. But at the bottom it has only Find Band and Help. Then there are links below that with Resync Band Data and Erase Band Data.)
  • LepperMessiah1
    LepperMessiah1 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Good luck trying to cancel any Up3 orders that haven't shipped already. I cancelled mine last Wednesday, but my order is still open. Sheesh.
  • DavPul
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna buy a backup BMF. I ain't got time to be "calibrating" a new device.

'specially not a new device that SUCKS. everything i'm ready is so incredibly disappointing
  • DavPul
    Options

to calibrate my "old" jawbone you go to your band (where you set silent alarms etc) the top part and go to where it has your band name and down bottom it has "find band" "calibrate" "help"...touch calibrate then click start calibration and it will have all your timed workouts...I only calibrate it with my walking/running which is all on fairly flat areas so it's pretty consistent.

As for your TDEE I won't disagree but a calm day 1600 sounds about right imo esp with 7 hours of idle time.

i don't think i'm understanding what this "calibration" means. in my mind, the device would calibrate over time by me entering my food amounts (via MFP) and tracking my weight changes over time. If they are consistent with the prediction, then it stays. if it's off, the calorie burn should change (or my expectation should). the method you're speaking of seems to....only calibrate steps on a flat surface with expected burn? i guess that would be good if my primary fitness activity was walking and I did a lot of it. but it doesn't seem to help on higher MET activity or the 23 sedentary hours of the day.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It got mediocre reviews from the tech reviewers. The heart rate monitor is inaccurate, and the overall response was the activity trackers in general are still in beta.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

i don't think i'm understanding what this "calibration" means. in my mind, the device would calibrate over time by me entering my food amounts (via MFP) and tracking my weight changes over time. If they are consistent with the prediction, then it stays. if it's off, the calorie burn should change (or my expectation should). the method you're speaking of seems to....only calibrate steps on a flat surface with expected burn? i guess that would be good if my primary fitness activity was walking and I did a lot of it. but it doesn't seem to help on higher MET activity or the 23 sedentary hours of the day.

I think she was referring to calibration of stride length. Unfortunately that option doesn't show on the Up3 app.
  • DavPul
    Options

I think she was referring to calibration of stride length. Unfortunately that option doesn't show on the Up3 app.

I figured it's something along those lines. That doesn't do much for calorie accuracy. My step count barely factors into my calorie burn.
  • randomtai
    Options

'specially not a new device that SUCKS. everything i'm ready is so incredibly disappointing

For real! BMF measures my lifting calories, if this thing only measures step based activities, it does me absolutely no good.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

For real! BMF measures my lifting calories, if this thing only measures step based activities, it does me absolutely no good.

If I turn the activity timer on my Jawbone for a lifting session (Friday for example was Wendler squat day)...and go in and tell it the activity was weights and "perceived effort" of in the zone...so not hard not easy...it gives me 71 cal burn for 9mins...

Keep in mind that was week 2 and the reps were as follows:

warm up @ 5x77.5, 5x 97.5 and 3x117.5 then working weights of 137.5x3, 155x3 and finally 175x4...is it accurate for 9mins..I would say for me it is.
  • randomtai
    Options

If I turn the activity timer on my Jawbone for a lifting session (Friday for example was Wendler squat day)...and go in and tell it the activity was weights and "perceived effort" of in the zone...so not hard not easy...it gives me 71 cal burn for 9mins...

warm up @ 5x77.5, 5x 97.5 and 3x117.5 then working weights of 137.5x3, 155x3 and finally 175x4...is it accurate for 9mins..I would say for me it is.

Is this the UP3 or some other device? With my BMF, I don't have to do anything but lift. No turning on some timer, no "calibrating", just lift.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Is this the UP3 or some other device? With my BMF, I don't have to do anything but lift. No turning on some timer, no "calibrating", just lift.

It's not UP3 but the original up but they are quite similar based on what I can see and the app will be the exact same.

I personally won't be going to the UP3 based on reviews I read online (I work in a tech industry so we get emailed this stuff all the time) but I do like Jawbone itself...

The activity tracker is great if you do a lot of different activities...it will track if I don't turn it on but I like keeping track of my "purposeful" exercise that way.

• randomtai
    Options

It's not UP3 but the original up but they are quite similar based on what I can see and the app will be the exact same.

I personally won't be going to the UP3 based on reviews I read online (I work in a tech industry so we get emailed this stuff all the time) but I do like Jawbone itself...

The activity tracker is great if you do a lot of different activities...it will track if I don't turn it on but I like keeping track of my "purposeful" exercise that way.

Well different strokes... I personally cannot stand Jawbone after this debacle. I wish they left Bodymedia the hell alone and we would have the Core 2 by now.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I agree. Finding another BM band on clearance with 6 months free service was the highlight of my month. The Up3 is going back to Jawbone unless they really jump on the updates soon.