What is the best cereal?

Options
I thought muesli would be the best cereal for dieting but I'm wrong on that I've been told.

I was going to include muesli in my diet but now I need another cereal, any ideas?

Replies

• stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The best one is one you will enjoy eating that fits into your dietary goals for the rest of your life.
  • StaceyLynnKing
    Options
    Organic Cascadian Farm cereal with UNsweetened vanilla almond milk and topped with a small scoop of Flaxseed. (Cinnamon Crunch is my favorite.)
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love my Wheaties and my husband enjoys his Lucky Charms. He just works his into his day and he doesn't have to give up food he enjoys.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Frosted Mini Wheats
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Look for fiber & protien. It's in there, but you have to look pretty hard.

Special K (ORIGINAL) has protein .... but little fiber. So when I have that for breakfast I combine it with a piece of whole fruit (for fiber). Previous poster adds flaxseed .... chia seeds work as well.

Kashi Go Lean (original) .... and many other Kashi cereals have good fiber & protien counts (not all of them.... read labels).

Combine your museli with greek yogurt (I like Grapenuts) .....nice and crunchy with plenty of protien.

I try to look for lower sugar cereals as well. Lots of added sugar just gets me started off in a bad way.
  • mandeeluvsme
    Options
    Kellogg's Special K cereal. All of them are delicious. :)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    One serving of Cap'n Crunch gives me 35% of my daily iron. Many nights I reach for it instead of ice cream when I need to scratch my sweet/dairy itch.
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Love, Love, L O V E Kashi GoLean!

Oh, had to edit that I add flax seed and chia seeds most days to my cereal!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    The best one is one you will enjoy eating that fits into your dietary goals for the rest of your life.

^^^ this

aka weetabix in my case. Choco mini weetabix in fact.

Actually, I'm eating them right now, mix of choco minis and strawberry minis, with blueberries and laban (Arabic dairy product that looks like milk but tastes more like yoghurt). yes it's 10pm where I live. weetabix is for life, not just for breakfast
  • janepatricia2
    janepatricia2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i love weetabix with added chopped Banana, or Home made porridge oats. with a teaspoon of Honey on. :bigsmile:
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I eat Special K...because it's delicious and fits in to my goals. Haha
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Depends on the Muesli.

I love the one called MuesliFusion (you can find it at Wegman's or online).

It's got protein, is low in fat, and is organic. Made in Rochester NY. It's one of the best I've tried and can be served cold or hot.

I also like the organic instant oatmeal on the market found at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods (has lower sugar than brands like Quaker and will last you much longer in the morning).
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a "best" cereal for weight loss. You can lose weight eating any of them. When I look for a cereal I look for something that isn't very dense (something that is puffed up with some air), because those cereals tend to have fewer calories per cup than denser ones, like granola or muesli. But heavier cereals might fill you up more. It just comes down to figuring out how many calories you want to spend on it, and how satisfied you are after you eat it.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with muesli? I know it's higher calorie than most, but that's because it often has nuts and seeds in it (and they have fat in them). I think it's fine. It makes nice porridge too. You just have to be careful with portion size.

My guilty pleasure cereal is fruit'n'fibre, which I suspect is quite sugary compared to most. A portion of that (30g) is quite small, though.

I'm currently eating a lot of porridge/oatmeal with various things added - and you can make that as healthy as you like. I've been sneaking in some less healthy things like salt, chocolate chips and honey, but you can stick to fruit, seeds and nuts. I like to have it with a little almond butter and some fat-free quark or fromage frais. Frozen berries are good to add before cooking for some extra nutrition. Again, portion control is important! I have a little bit at the bottom of a bowl, not a whole bowlful!
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    1/2 Fiber One, 1/2 Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Awesome.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    One of the ones I like is Chex mix. Lately I have been eating the corn cereal gluten free one. It is a taste I like. There are others I like but we do not have them in the house now. So I cannot say their full name.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I thought muesli would be the best cereal for dieting but I'm wrong on that I've been told.

I was going to include muesli in my diet but now I need another cereal, any ideas?

I love my plain, old bran flakes ~ enjoy them with some 2% milk most everyday. For some reason I wake up hungry for that same breakfast daily ;).

I just curiously googled and found a bunch of articles like this re: bran flakes:

"...Eating a high-fiber meal is great for weight loss. High-fiber foods generally require more chewing time, so you're less likely to overeat. Also, a high-fiber diet tends to make a meal feel larger and linger longer, so you stay full for a greater amount of time. No other food packs as much fiber as a bowl of bran cereal. This food is an easy addition to a weight-loss diet....."

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/natural-foods/natural-weight-loss-food-bran-cereals-ga.htm
  • texastwilight
    texastwilight Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like Uncle Sam Original! Its high fiber and no sugar! Ingredients are Whole wheat kernels, whole flaxseed, salt, barley malt. I like to put a packet of splenda on it and some cinnamon and add some milk. Sometimes I throw in some walnuts!
  • rachso
    rachso Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat Special K or, to switch things up I bought Honey Bunches of Oats. I also occasionally throw in grits or oats to switch things up