An obese person does not need to do one iota of exercise to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    While all weight loss programs have a depressingly low long-term success rate, programs that include a continuing vigorous exercise program still have a success rate that is 40%-50% better than diet-only interventions.

This is my personal experience, and it also fits my observations of people around me. If you have a random group of dieters and have bet on which ones will lose and successfully maintain - bet on the ones following a fairly vigorous exercise regimen.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    The article in the OP references this journal item http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/42/6/1831.full

If you're bored, the first six links in it that say ARTICLE are to follow-up correspondance in the journal.

It would seem that they got taken to task.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Whilst I agree that you can't out exercise I bad diet, the big thing that's missing if you purely restrict your calories is the massive gains in mental wellbeing that exercise provides. I find that exercise makes me happier, reduces mood swings, makes me far less likely to binge and overall just makes me feel good. I think that for a significant proportion of obese people, there must be a negative mental aspect. Low self esteem, depression, negative self image and a tendency to self destruct are all things which (imo) are not purely fixed by restricting ones calories and losing weight. Exercise helps me massively with all of them. It makes you appreciate your body and be proud of what you can do in a way that, for me at least, has never been matched by weightloss alone
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    The anti-exercise folks usually cite research in which a very modest volume of exercise is the only variable. I've seen studies that looked at workouts that only burned 150 calories, were done 3x/wk and had no no diet restrictions. Big shock: nobody lost weight.

This is true, and a good point.

If you are going to be experimenting with such a low level of exercise, I'd be interested in a comparison where one group simply increased regular daily activity, through walking more, as well as one with dietary restrictions too. Because if the point is that people overestimate how much work they are doing when they first start intentionally exercising, no shock.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I agree. When I started exercising seriously my weight loss slowed. However my mobility, endurance, agility and strength all improved. My blood pressure improved and my resting heart rate slowed.

I could eat more and still lose weight.

Fitness goals are a lot more fun and fully under my control.

I can pull myself out of the swimming pool now.

I can pick up a nickel without having to plan my descent and recovery.

I can run!

*This*

Yeah, you don't need it to lose weight but God, it makes your whole life better.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    gpstreet wrote: »
    Have to remember that activities, like running, can injure. Less so when not overweight I understand.

Fear of injury kept me grounded for far too long. My physiotherapist guided me through modifications for many moves to make them low-impact. Aquasize classes were recommended to me many times because they do not strain the joints while allowing for vigorous exercise, but it just didn't excite me like land activities do. I don't jump as high as others and I listen to what my body is saying (screaming). Working up a sweat is not harmful. The burning sensation from pushing a muscle beyond it's habit is not harmful. I take them as signs that I am transforming.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Anyway I think the. Best saying I have seen to win this all up. You can't outrun a bad diet.

I don't know about that. I suppose it depends on what you consider "bad". I would consider anything I was allergic to, or that would poison me to be "bad", but anything else is just food. Considering how much ice cream and chocolate I consume and have still managed to maintain my weight for a year and a half, my running seems to be doing the trick.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I a not surprised that people can loose weight just be calorie restricting and without exercise, but why would you if you don't have to? I'll stick with the exercise. It makes me feel good, helps my self confidence, and means that my calorie budget is much higher even while losing weight. I don't understand why people want to badly to avoid moving. Just find some activity that you enjoy and it won't be a chore that you have to make yourself do.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think one problem is that people think exercise means doing sweaty stuff at the gym or while watching a video. Which can be great and all (I tend to like lots of more intense exercise), but I wouldn't advise any obese people to wait to get more active if they can just include more walking in their days. I think making changes positive ones and not just doing without can be really motivating to some people.

The interesting thing about mentioning walking? In the study of long term maintainers, it's the main form of exercise for the majority of them.

So successful and sustained weight loss isn't even about loads and loads of intense exercise, either.

• gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think any exercise that becomes a chore may not be the right type of exercise long term. MFP is helping me watch what I eat. I always try to stay within the calorie limit created by the allowed allowance but calories burnt off through exercise. For me exercise is just a license to eat more :-)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I think one problem is that people think exercise means doing sweaty stuff at the gym or while watching a video. Which can be great and all (I tend to like lots of more intense exercise), but I wouldn't advise any obese people to wait to get more active if they can just include more walking in their days. I think making changes positive ones and not just doing without can be really motivating to some people.

The interesting thing about mentioning walking? In the study of long term maintainers, it's the main form of exercise for the majority of them.

So successful and sustained weight loss isn't even about loads and loads of intense exercise, either.

Makes sense. The comparison I'm seeing in my head is between someone really overweight being forced to do something he or she finds unpleasant for 30 min, 3 times a week (as in those studies). Say brisk walking on a treadmill in a gym or even jogging or the elliptical. That's not so many calories, really, but could easily lead to an "I deserve a treat to make up for this" kind of reaction, and quite possibly being even more sedentary at other times.

But compare that with "incorporate 10,000 steps over the course of a day" for someone who was previously doing only 2000 steps. You probably get a greater increase in overall TDEE and don't have the compulsion to eat more.

Saying activity isn't important isn't the right conclusion, IMO.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nobody needs exercise to lose weight.
    Just a calorie deficit.
    Granted, exercise is a pretty handy way to help create one, and it has lots of other benefits, too.
    But no, it's not necessary for weight loss.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Anyway I think the. Best saying I have seen to win this all up. You can't outrun a bad diet.

I don't know about that. I suppose it depends on what you consider "bad". I would consider anything I was allergic to, or that would poison me to be "bad", but anything else is just food. Considering how much ice cream and chocolate I consume and have still managed to maintain my weight for a year and a half, my running seems to be doing the trick.

Yes. And again, I gained weight because I quit exercising without decreasing my calories.

For some time while losing (I'm now maintaining), I was eating more than my sedentary maintenance yet still losing.

People do need to have a way of monitoring what they are eating (can be calorie counting, doesn't have to be) to make sure they don't react to exercise by increasing calories even more, but lots of people maintain or even lose primarily through exercise. Many of these people probably weren't obese at any point, however.

I also recommend Matt Fitzgerald's discussion of exercise and weight loss in Diet Cults.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Even though I agree with the you can't outrun a bad diet stance, my weight loss is completely due to exercise. I still eat 3000+ calories a day... Once I get my diet under control, this weight loss thing should be a breeze, right.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Exercise effort allows you to reward yourself with added treats that take you over your daily calorie allowance. Plus exercise makes you feel good with the release of natural occuring endorphins.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Even though I agree with the you can't outrun a bad diet stance, my weight loss is completely due to exercise. I still eat 3000+ calories a day... Once I get my diet under control, this weight loss thing should be a breeze, right.

Yowsas :smiley: How many calories do you burn everyday to eat 3000 calories and still lose weight?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Yowsas :smiley: How many calories do you burn everyday to eat 3000 calories and still lose weight?

More than 3000?
    You know, if co>ci then weight loss?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

More than 3000?
    You know, if co>ci then weight loss?

yes I'm aware. I was just wondering how much exercise they do to be able to eat over 3000 calories and still lose weight.
    Obviously their current weight may have alot to do with it..

• tintinsaab
    tintinsaab Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would say that diet is the main key to weight loss, but that the benefits of exercise are so numerous in terms of mental health, fitness, reducing bp etc. that it is something that everyone should try to incorporate a little, even if it is just walking.

If you look at shows like Biggest Loser or Obese: A Year to Change My Life, they put a huge stress on doing rigorous exercise. I guess one of the concerns about the emphasis on exercise is that it makes people think, "I can't exercise like that without a trainer, so I won't even try losing weight". In reality, you have to do a long gym session to burn the calories in just one piece of cake, and the really big folks in these TV shows would lose weight very quickly even without the exercise.

I also think that because exercise is so good for your mental health it keeps you on track. You feel pretty good so are less likely to comfort eat or sabotage yourself. Eat less, move more, in that order, I would say.