Your favorite book?

Options

Replies

• mylittletribe
    Options
    The Outsiders by SE Hinton. I've reread it hundreds of times since my teens. Others: Wuthering Heights and Pride and Prejudice for classics (though Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was great fun!)

Others more contemporary that left a lasting mark: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, and Megan McCafferty's Jessica Darling series, which will never be a classic, but is five books of full of YA, chick-lit FUN.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I can't choose just one book! Sacrilege!!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    The Outsiders by SE Hinton. I've reread it hundreds of times since my teens. Others: Wuthering Heights and Pride and Prejudice for classics (though Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was great fun!)

Others more contemporary that left a lasting mark: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, and Megan McCafferty's Jessica Darling series, which will never be a classic, but is five books of full of YA, chick-lit FUN.

The first novel I read was Rumble Fish by SE Hinton. Having grown up in a broken home and having anger issues as a teen It pretty well hit home.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Though I enjoyed reading many years before the discovery...The first book I absolutely adored was Night by Elie Wiesel. It is still one of the most powerful pieces of literature I've ever read and the only book I really love that I can not bring myself to read again. A pretty close second to this would be I know why the caged bird sings by the great Maya Angelou.

Honorable mentions go to: Crime and punishment, lord of the flies, and The Color Purple.

ETA: The person above me reminded me about roots. Roots wasn't the first into my heart but it might be the one buried the deepest.

I loved "Night." So powerful and painful to read. I got hooked on Holocaust history because of this book.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My favorite book is She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb.

Wonderful book! I Know This Much Is True is also amazing.

My favorite book of all time is The Giver by Lois Lowry. I re-read every so often and always find a new nuance of the story.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The Grapes of Wrath, John Steinbeck
  • Sarah_Roop
    Sarah_Roop Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    So hard to choose just one... My Favorite children's book has always been "Where the Wild Things Are" My favorite classic book is "The Great Gatsby", and yes I have seen the new movie, and LOVED it! My favorite "newish" book is "Duma Key" by Stephen King. Pretty much what I am reading at the time obsesses me, but those have stuck with me always for some reason.
  • Pandaschaefer
    Options
    I would have to say my first childhood favorite was E.B. White's " Charlotte's Web". I read the book so many times in 3rd grade that my teacher gave it to me at the end of the year. I next fell in love with Lois Lowry's "The Giver". I can't even count the times I have read and reread that book. Now days I can't really pinpoint one particular book that I could call a favorite...there's just too many!
  • spederse86
    spederse86 Posts: 13
    Options

I can see what you are saying. Actually, books like Great Expectations and Pride and Prejudice bore me to tears. I have always been more into Sci-Fi or Fantasy.

I had to read a lot of books like Great Expectations and P&P in my literature classes... some I had a better time with than others. The thing is, a lot of them are just plain depressing. I can find agonizingly depressing things without a book. *lol* Sci-fi and Fantasy are definitely my tops as well. <3
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question, I think the first book that really grabbed me and shook me was The Hobbit.

We read it as a class in elementary school and I thought it was amazing and magical. Since then I have immersed myself in all things Tolkein, but my love of books doesn't end there.

I am a lover of the classics and could never really pick one or even a handful to call my favorites, ranging from Twain, to Dreiser, to Austin and ****ens.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Anything by Clive Barker or Neil Gaiman.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I think Goosebumps and Nancy Drew were the childhood series which really helped me to develop my love of reading.

Agreed! ^____^

Third this...mine was fear street.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Anything by Clive Barker or Neil Gaiman.

I'm a big horror fan so Clive is on my list as well. I also like guys like Richard Laymon, Jack Ketchum, Brian Keene...ect.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    But my absolute favorite books are the Dark Tower series by SK.

I reread them every summer...I'm just about to begin on Wizard and Glass :love:

An excellent series! I am also rereading it this summer...just into the first book:)
    My son is reading it for the first time, so I am going along behind him.
  • spederse86
    spederse86 Posts: 13
    Options
    To answer the original question, I think the first book that really grabbed me and shook me was The Hobbit.

We read it as a class in elementary school and I thought it was amazing and magical. Since then I have immersed myself in all things Tolkein, but my love of books doesn't end there.

I am a lover of the classics and could never really pick one or even a handful to call my favorites, ranging from Twain, to Dreiser, to Austin and ****ens.

I don't know why I forgot The Hobbit. X3 Definitely an amazing book, and one of my first as well! My mother read it to me and my brother to go to sleep.
  • sharon_moyer
    sharon_moyer Posts: 177
    Options
    My favorite books started out to be the Murder She Wrote series but lately I've been into novels. Right now, I'm reading J K Rowling's Adult Novel "The Casual Vacancy".
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Sandman - Neil Gaiman

I so need to read this. I am reading Anansi Boys now, only 100 pages in and just love his style.
  • karu77
    karu77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    North and South (Elizabeth Gaskell) - again and again^^
    Frankenstein (Mary Shelley) - 1818 edition, I love how the questions raised are so up-to-date!
    The Awakening (Kate Chopin) - captivated me
    Persuasion (Jane Austen) - lost count on how many times I read this; it's my Austen favorite
    Wuthering Heights (Emily Brontë) - sooo dark^^
    Beloved (Toni Morrison) - intense
    Ceremony (Leslie Marmon Silko)

There are more....of course :)
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    But my absolute favorite books are the Dark Tower series by SK.

I reread them every summer...I'm just about to begin on Wizard and Glass :love:

I love the Dark Tower series. I've heard they are going to be made into a movie or tv series and I seriously hope it doesn't happen. It would just ruin it.

I deeply and sincerely hope this doesn't happen.

But Clint Eastwood would be the perfect Roland....imho.....the eyes, the voice. Yep.

I agree with Clint Eastwood, but it would almost have to be him from 10-15 years ago. I really can't picture anyone else in the role.

I'm thinking Daniel Craig...those blue Gunslinger Eyes...
  • mrdk92
    mrdk92 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Naked by David Sedaris