Soda how long can you go without it?

Options
Soda! We see it everywhere they advertise it in low calorie forms , and oh the sweet goodness in your mouth! But how bad it is to drink too much soda I have gone on a soda strike for about a month now and have seen great improvements. So my question to you is do you drink soda ? Is it diet? Or are you like me and refuse to touch it anymore ? Or do you just drink some on cheat days ? Please share :D

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda. I don't notice a difference in my health, energy, or weight loss when I eliminate it.
  • yourstrulynancy
    yourstrulynancy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Lucky you soda is addicting to me so I cut it out cans went cold turkey thank u for sharing
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can go a long time...because I don't particularly care for it. If you like them, either find a way to fit the calories into your day or switch to diet soda.

I don't think I've actually drunk a regular ol' soda for like 4 or 5 years...tho I will occasionally have a mixed drink with soda in it.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Lucky you soda is addicting to me so I cut it out cans went cold turkey thank u for sharing

Are you talking about the caffeine in soda?
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I drink maybe one diet soda every month. I don't really like it, it's just my go-to drink at the bar (vodka and diet). I used to love sodas when I was a kid, cut them out in my 20's. I just never got back into that habit.
  • VillageSmithy
    VillageSmithy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Regular sugared soda never a tempted me, but I was killing a couple of liters of Dr. Pepper Diet Cherry a day. Now a squirt of Mio water enhancer into H2O satisfies.
  • yourstrulynancy
    Options

No Hun Just soda in general because I have ppl in my life who I have seen basically gain lots of weight due to soda intakes my girlfriend actually caught stones because she stopped drinking water talk about scary I cut it out my diet
  • akdetweiler
    akdetweiler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    don't drink it at all, never really have except for a few years when I was actually addicted to diet Coke. Now that I understand what aspartame is, I won't touch it. I did find some great organic sodas and tried some as a treat and they were really good! sweetened with stevia, zero calories.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like a diet soda. Most of the time I just drink carbonated water. I like the fizzyness.

But I've haven't been a soda drinker since i changed my eating habits 3 years ago, it's not that much of a challenge for me.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda about 2 years ago. I was on a diet Mt. Dew kick and soon ended up with kidney stones, and I don't know for absolute certain if the diet dew was the reason I got them but the pain from that was enough to scare me away from anything labeled "diet" forever, especially in soda.

I didn't know what Aspartame was at that time, either. I've since learned how much of a poison Aspartame really is and I wouldn't touch it ever again with someone else's ten-foot pole. Regular refined white sugar or high fructose corn syrup are certainly bad enough but I will take those over anything artificial ever again.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I like coke. I never drank a lot of pop to begin with because I always saw it as a treat, but when I cut back on fast food, the pop got cut back with it. I'll still get a coke maybe once or twice a month on average. Sometimes I'll go months without having any.
  • nycalling6192
    nycalling6192 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I LOVE soda. Love it. Especially Dr. Pepper, which is clearly the greatest soda ever made. That being said, as I could easily polish away a 2 liter in a day (which is incredibly terrible for you) I now restrict myself to a glass of soda when I get home from work after dinner. All day at work now I force myself to drink water, and when I get home as well.

I also can't stomach Diet Dr. Pepper, so I drink Coke Zero or Pepsi Max. On my cheat day once a month I indulge myself in a can of the Good Doctor, but that's it.
  • yourstrulynancy
    Options
    I used to drink a San Pellegrino a couple times a week. In the past 18 months, I think I've had 2. So to answer your question, a really long time. I just don't care enough for it to waste my calories. I'd much rather have something else (like my evening glass of wine) instead.

Yes I will trade soda for wine in an instant after a long day love your response
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have a soda every once in awhile. I take my kiddos to this pumpkin patch every October and I always have a cold Sarsaparilla as has been tradition since I was a kid and my parents took me. I also usually have a soda or two when I'm camping. I probably have 4-6 sodas per year or something along those lines.

As I am not a frequent soda drinker I prefer high quality, craft brewed sodas made with cane sugar. Sarsaparilla is my favorite followed closely by Root Beer and Ginger Beer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I drink diet off and on (I like the fizziness too--currently like diet ginger ale and those ice water things the best). I could live without it without problem, but occasionally I enjoy it, so don't see why I would.

(I like real ginger ale better, including the house made kinds you can get at some restaurants, but just can't get myself to waste calories on drinks. I should make it at home with one of those soda streamer things, and it might be worth it.)
  • yourstrulynancy
    Options
    Aspartame what is it ? Can someone spread some knowledge
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I've lost 77 pounds and I drink soda (regular coke) every day - it's only a few sips with dinner now, because that satisfies me. I used to drink an embarrassing amount though.

If I felt I had to stop for some reason, I would.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

No Hun Just soda in general because I have ppl in my life who I have seen basically gain lots of weight due to soda intakes my girlfriend actually caught stones because she stopped drinking water talk about scary I cut it out my diet

People gain weight due to excess calories (which can come from soda, of course). Although a component found in some sodas (caffeine) may be addictive, I don't think that soda is.
  • yourstrulynancy
    Options
    I LOVE soda. Love it. Especially Dr. Pepper, which is clearly the greatest soda ever made. That being said, as I could easily polish away a 2 liter in a day (which is incredibly terrible for you) I now restrict myself to a glass of soda when I get home from work after dinner. All day at work now I force myself to drink water, and when I get home as well.

I also can't stomach Diet Dr. Pepper, so I drink Coke Zero or Pepsi Max. On my cheat day once a month I indulge myself in a can of the Good Doctor, but that's it.

I used to feel that way about soda and I also got addicted to the caffeine boost in drinking soda at one time I would have it with my breakfast but I get heartburn now and I will literally pour on pounds so I have went cold turkey my personal favorite is Pepsi nice and half frozen but when I weigh in the factors they just do not balance water is my best friend and when it gets boring u flavor it with some lemon lime or just ahout anything else thanks for the comments tho nice to see im not the only soda lover here

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Drink a couple per day (diet). Since there is no reason to give them up and I enjoy them, I will continue to do so.