Soda how long can you go without it?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    I drink around 4 cans of diet pop (its not soda...is pop =) each day. It will have to be pried out of my cold, dead, hands.

It's so weird, but I call it pop when talking about it, but when writing about it I usually default to soda, like that's the formal form or something.

I think it's because I went to college in MA and trained myself to say "soda" when I was there and used them interchangeably for a while until I reverted fully back to childhood usages (and most people around here usages). ;-)
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's so weird, but I call it pop when talking about it, but when writing about it I usually default to soda, like that's the formal form or something.

Haha, same here.

Before I started losing weight, I used to drink 3-5 sodas/week. I didn't have soda from September to January because I didn't want to waste calories on it until I could get my diet under control where I could be satisfied with smaller amounts of sugar and serving sizes. All I drank was water and soy milk. Now, I'm not triggered by soda if it's in my house. I only have soda if I'm eating something like pizza or fast food, otherwise, I drink water.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I went from a 12-pack of sugared soda a week to a 20 oz bottle only on Saturdays. It was a matter of "Soda takes calories away from my allowance but don't make me full or satisfied, so it's gotta go." I hate diet soda, so I only drink it if I need the sweetness or fizziness to get a nasty taste out of my mouth or something.
  • MyLivelyBones
    MyLivelyBones Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda at all. So I can go without it forever. :)

Every now and then, the craving will strike me, but it passes as fast as it comes. It's not good for you in any way, unless you're the type to sip a little Coke or Ginger Ale/7-Up when ill.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke--1 a day (helps that I can get a "jug" of it for $1 at McD's, LOL). One glass bottle of regular (Mexican) Coke 1-3 times a month.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Dr Pepper is my biggest addiction. I recently was able to go 4 1/2 days without one. That was tough. lol. But I WILL NOT do diet pop. I usually have 1 a day if I feel like I HAVE to have one, but I'm trying to completely cut it, and cut my addiction, and work on my willpower, so I TRY to stay away from it. I heard it takes 21 days for a person to cut that habit. but idk how accurate that is. I just know there is no way in HELL that I can make it 21 days without one. at least not in the near future. My willpower is not that good yet. But I am very VERY proud of the 4 1/2 days I went without. That was huge for me. Usually I would be on a second 12 pack in that time frame.
  • JessieLMay
    Options
    I will admit I felt like a new person without it for that short time frame though.
  • davidbur
    davidbur Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There was a time I drank a lot of Soda every day. Seven years ago I decided I wouldn't drink it any more. I haven't touched it since. I have zero regrets about my decision.
  • yourstrulynancy
    yourstrulynancy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    JessieLMay wrote: »
    I will admit I felt like a new person without it for that short time frame though.

Hence why I feel the same way except it was Pepsi but like Paula ^ said it take calories from my allowance and doesn't make me feel full instead I would wake up feeling bloated and fat and nasty not worth it keep up effort is key
  • JessieLMay
    Options
    Lucky you soda is addicting to me so I cut it out cans went cold turkey thank u for sharing

Are you talking about the caffeine in soda?

No Hun Just soda in general because I have ppl in my life who I have seen basically gain lots of weight due to soda intakes my girlfriend actually caught stones because she stopped drinking water talk about scary I cut it out my diet

People gain weight due to excess calories (which can come from soda, of course). Although a component found in some sodas (caffeine) may be addictive, I don't think that soda is.

I am not addicted to the caffeine, it's the sugar I am addicted to. And the feeling of carbonation.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I choose not to drink soda (we Canadians call it pop) choosing to save those calories for other treats/splurges. I don't like the taste of diet pop and find that aspartame makes me retain water like a camel. I have a hand-held soda maker that adds carbonation to beverages and it makes brewed herb/fruit teas really yummy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm going to hang on to my diet sodas to death just to prove the asparshamers wrong. I'll carry one on my marathons, too.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'm going to hang on to my diet sodas to death just to prove the asparshamers wrong. I'll carry one on my marathons, too.

LOL "aspershamers". I'm with you!
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I can't drink soda anymore. It was really hard to quit Mountain Dew when I stopped drinking soda 14 years ago. But, now if I even have some in a mixed drink it gives me wretched gas and stomach pains.
  • LastingHealth
    LastingHealth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This topic just showed up in the corner of my screen now and I wrote about my Diet Coke addiction this morning. :) lol Must be soda time.

My little blog about it is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LastingHealth/view/quitting-diet-coke-742132
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I had one. I wouldn't turn down a ginger-ale if someone offered it to me, but I'd rather have water or tea.
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda in late November. I went out with my bf at the time for Super Bowl in February and ordered a coke... Didn't like it anymore
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it a LOT as a kid and teenager (thanks to the abundance of pop machines). I gave it up shortly after high school and lost about 16lbs (this happened over about 3 months). I went cold turkey (I had horrible caffeine withdrawal headaches) and didn't have any for about 10+ years, aside from the occasion splash in a cocktail.

Since I've learned that there's nothing "toxic" about diet soda (or regular soda, for that matter), I started drinking it occasionally. It had been so long since I've had regular soda, I could hardly tell the difference between that and diet.

I rarely have a regular soda nowadays. It's not worth the calories to me. But every now and then, I will have a sip if my husband or sister offers it to me. I find that it burns very much so I can't drink it too fast. haha

Diet soda helps satisfy my sweet tooth at the end of the day when I'm out of calories, especially if it's Friday or Saturday night and I'm staying up late. Plus the bubbles help make me feel full. Diet cherry 7-up is one of my favorites (I try to stick to caffeine free).
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I only like it when it's mixed with rum.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Haven't had soda in 2 years...don't miss it one bit!