Soda how long can you go without it?

Options

Replies

• thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I like coke. I never drank a lot of pop to begin with because I always saw it as a treat, but when I cut back on fast food, the pop got cut back with it. I'll still get a coke maybe once or twice a month on average. Sometimes I'll go months without having any.

I love coke use to drink 4 or 5 a day! Yikes...
    now I have it once or twice month too.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    3. Diet soda may change your brain’s reaction to sweetness. A 2012 study compared MRI results in college students who drank diet soda – averaging at least eight servings per week – with those who drank regular cola.
    Both groups activated similar reward areas in the brain. But students who drank the most diet cola each week had the least amount of activity in an area of the brain associated with the desire to consume “palatable” foods – often those high in fat and sugar.

Doesn't that one invalidate number 1? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but isn't it saying that the people who drank the most diet soda had the least activity in the area creating desire to consume sugary foods? I thought diet soda was supposed to make me crave more sugary sweets?

I think it actually means that you get less 'reward' from the same amount of sweetness, kind of like how when you drink a lot you can get more resistant to the effect of alcohol so it takes more to feel the same effect. I've checked out that study and I think that's what it's getting at.

But I have no real knowledge of the science behind any of the three claims so I can't really weigh in on if any of this is true/right.

That is probably what they meant to say, but that is not how I interpreted what was copied and pasted here. I still don't think it is correct - at least not for me.

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    I have a hand-held soda maker that adds carbonation to beverages and it makes brewed herb/fruit teas really yummy.

What kind? I want one.

Sodastream.

sodastream.png

I'm definitely getting one. Been putting it off, but this may be the time.

A year and a half ago, I bought one of these for my 2-3 can a day diet Coke drinking Dad. He used it for about 6 months, and then went back to his canned sodas. He didn't like the taste of those syrups. I used it for a while just to have carbonated water on hand, but I didn't use it enough to warrant the counter space.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't want to use their syrups--I want to make my own ginger ale and carbonate the iced teas I make. I love fizzy stuff.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    I have a hand-held soda maker that adds carbonation to beverages and it makes brewed herb/fruit teas really yummy.

What kind? I want one.

Sodastream.

sodastream.png

A year and a half ago, I bought one of these for my 2-3 can a day diet Coke drinking Dad. He used it for about 6 months, and then went back to his canned sodas. He didn't like the taste of those syrups. I used it for a while just to have carbonated water on hand, but I didn't use it enough to warrant the counter space.

My boyfriend and I have thought about getting one... I'm hesitant because I don't want the syrup/carbonated water combination to taste like knock-off generic brand soda. How is the taste in comparison to the brand name sodas?
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    It's one of those things that I can go a very long time without. I'll have a few sips when I feel like it, but drink mostly water.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    mygnsac wrote: »

What kind? I want one.

Sodastream.

My boyfriend and I have thought about getting one... I'm hesitant because I don't want the syrup/carbonated water combination to taste like knock-off generic brand soda. How is the taste in comparison to the brand name sodas?

My Dad never did find a syrup that tasted as good as it did from the can, generic is probably a good description. Others may have a different experience though. He even tried different flavors, but they just didn't do it for him. Also, depending on how often you use it, you will have to periodically replace the CO2 bottle. Just wasn't worth it to us.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    forever
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I've had the flu the past two weeks. I've been hitting the diet ginger ale pretty hard lately.
  • LeoL87
    LeoL87 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I haven't drank soda for over 5 years and i feel so much better. When i was a kid i would drink about 4 cans a day.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I like diet soda - a can about once a week. I won't go out of my way to buy it in large amounts and keep it in the house though. Prefer zero vitamin water or perrier.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The last time I can remember having any was about two weeks ago when went out for drinks with a co-worker and had a Baccardi and Seven. I can go several months without drinking any soda though. Once got rid of the 2 liter a day habit I used to have, I lost my taste for it. I have to be really thirsty and even then I usually will just have a little bit of Ginger Ale.
  • kirsteena01
    kirsteena01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I haven't drunk soda for... years. Gave it up about 3 years ago, can't bear the taste now. Won't drink the diet versions, as aspartame does weird things to me. Don't miss it.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    So far I've gone 4years without it!

My hero 4 years that's awsome but I bet you weren't even trying ? We're u like me ?

Oh no... It took a HUGE effort! Day 3 and week 3 were the hardest!
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I will never be able to give up drinking cherry dr pepper,cherry coke or cherry Pepsi....there's no f'n way!
  • yourstrulynancy
    yourstrulynancy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    jonnie256 wrote: »
    I will never be able to give up drinking cherry dr pepper,cherry coke or cherry Pepsi....there's no f'n way!

Lol well thanks for being honest lol ur comment had me laughing u sound like u will fight me if I try and take ur soda
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've never been one to drink soda everyday but I haven't had any at allsince September. I decided it was a step towards getting my weight under control by cutting it completely. I may make an exception tonight for a root beer float! And maybe for mixed drinks sometime soon.
  • eboniivoried
    eboniivoried Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I no longer drink my calories, and have not drank soda for about a year! The last time I drank soda, the carbonation hurt my throat and it was really, really too sweet for my liking anymore. It's crazy what our bodies will adjust to...
  • jpcstudios
    jpcstudios Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Forever
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    jonnie256 wrote: »

Lol well thanks for being honest lol ur comment had me laughing u sound like u will fight me if I try and take ur soda

I would fight you over it lol