The most important meal of the day?

Options
You always hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but why? I'm never hungry in the morning and if I force myself to eat it makes me sick. Does anybody else have this problem? What are some good alternatives to eating solid food? Preferably some non-processed, low-calorie options. The obvious solution would be a smoothie or some kind of weight loss drink, but what kind? What kind is going to give me what I need in the mornings that I should be getting from the "most important meal of the day"?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    For me, ALL the meals are important! :tongue: LOL I'm a breakfast lover, so no issues for me there, but I have pals here who are big breakfast fans, and eat all of their calories later in the day, and they're doing just fine.

I'd say if you're not hungry, skip it. As long as it's not affecting your negatively (like not fueled for a workout, or dragging at work before lunch), then eat when you're hungry, and just make sure you're getting the proper amount of calories through lunch dinner & snacks.
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    mine are all important because I have to watch my macros for all of them, If I wing it for even one meal, it can throw off my whole day. That being said, I find that breakfast sets the tone for the whole day for me. If I know I am going to be really active, or doing a lot of heavy lifting, I always make sure to start with a super hearty breakfast.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    You always hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but why? I'm never hungry in the morning and if I force myself to eat it makes me sick. Does anybody else have this problem? What are some good alternatives to eating solid food? Preferably some non-processed, low-calorie options. The obvious solution would be a smoothie or some kind of weight loss drink, but what kind? What kind is going to give me what I need in the mornings that I should be getting from the "most important meal of the day"?

Don't eat breakfast. It's much more satisfying to save those cals if you're not hungry for a huge dinner.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is only the most important meal of the day for people who need to eat it for medical or for personal preference/energy reasons.

If you are not hungry and it does not impact your energy levels, don't eat it and save your calories for when you are hungry.

Meal frequency only really matters if it impacts adherence and energy levels.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Someone will soon jump in and tell you that you should eat breakfast since it starts your metabolism .. which is a total myth.

If you are hungry, have breakfast. If you aren't, don't. As long as it doesn't cause you to overeat later in the day don't worry about breakfast.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    post workout. not because of science, just because I'm usually ravenous then.
  • amayaasn
    amayaasn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It is very important to eat multiple times a day. For metabolism efficiency you should try to eat 5 small meals a day. or 5 tiems a day snacks and meals. If you are looking for a smoothie type breakfast I recommend getting some information about Shakeology. It is actually the "healthiest meal of the day" Ive been drinking it now for over 2 months and have really seen some great improvements in not only weight loss, but health in general.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    maybe look into green smoothies - seem to be a really good option for low calorie and energy boost to start the day...less sugar than fruit-heavy smoothies, not that i give a crap about fruit sugar, cause who ever got fat eating too much fruit...(:

i like overnight oats made with yoghurt and chia seeds...

i'm always hungry for avocado on toast...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Whatever meal I'm currently eating is the most important meal of the day for me.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    It is very important to eat multiple times a day. For metabolism efficiency you should try to eat 5 small meals a day. or 5 tiems a day snacks and meals. If you are looking for a smoothie type breakfast I recommend getting some information about Shakeology. It is actually the "healthiest meal of the day" Ive been drinking it now for over 2 months and have really seen some great improvements in not only weight loss, but health in general.

No. It is not important to eat multiple times per day. If it works for you, great but that is not a statement that applies to everyone.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This is just not true. Meal frequency has not direct impact on your metabolism, calories and macros being equal.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day....b/c it jump-starts your metabolism. I used to get sick from eating breakfast, but I quit my belly-aching and just did it. I eat breakfast faithfully and it's been a year since I started doing so...I just eat something small: granola bar, dry cereal, fruit, etc. Anything is better than nothing. Your body will get used to your routine.

(No pun intended...that's just how I referred to myself. lol)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Someone will soon jump in and tell you that you should eat breakfast since it starts your metabolism .. which is a total myth.

And then.....
    Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day....b/c it jump-starts your metabolism. I used to get sick from eating breakfast, but I quit my belly-aching and just did it. I eat breakfast faithfully and it's been a year since I started doing so...I just eat something small: granola bar, dry cereal, fruit, etc. Anything is better than nothing. Your body will get used to your routine.

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

No. Breakfast does not jump start your metabolism.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you're tracking intake, it's not a big deal to skip breakfast (if you feel fine doing so). Overcompensating on calories can happen to people skipping breakfast if they're not tracking.

If I skipped breakfast, I'd be setting myself up for potentially 18 hours including 2 workouts without food. That's just not viable, so I eat breakfast.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Then hobbits will jump in and say you need to eat seven times a day, and each is as important as the last.

Breakfast
    Second Breakfast
    Elevensies
    Lunch
    Afternoon Tea
    Dinner
    Supper

not counting snacks.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

No. Breakfast does not jump start your metabolism.

Jump starting a metabolism . . .

Frankenstein_zps9b1e67df.gif
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would say Breakfast is the most important meal, though the timing of "breaking your fast" does not have to be first thing in the morning, which is what most people call breakfast. It may be 16 hours after your last meal. So break-fast necessary, breakfast, as in first thing in the morning, not necessary.
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've never been able (until recently) to eat breakfast, always made me sick. Had to force myself to eat a little something so my stomach wouldn't make so much noise ಠ_ಠ I think the reason might have been that I ate mostly in the late evening and often late at night, so naturally I wasn't hungry in the morning. Now that I've stopped doing that, I don't exactly wake up hungry, but I do enjoy breakfast :)
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Whatever meal I'm currently eating is the most important meal of the day for me.
    Haha. I was going to write, "The next one"...but I like your answer better. :)