Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    breakfast IS.
  • amayaasn
    amayaasn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ...This is supposed to be a website where we offer support to each other....

Is it? Where does it say that? (my question is sincere).

Just to add my $.02 ~ I wouldn't consider it supportive to offer incorrect information, nor to sit quiet and not speak up against misinformation.

I'm grateful this website has a healthy balance of information we can pick thru. It's been very helpful for me to read those who offer counter opinion.

Totally agree its is healthy for someone to offer information against what they think is a wrong opinion or misinformation. Please show me where anyone has replied to my post with any information? ANY INFORMATION? I at least gave information and I also added "I am not a doctor" but this has been found to be true of...Everyone that quoted me just stated I was wrong and to stop posting misinformation. Give me the "correct" information then please?? Give me references to the "facts" please??

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

I did not post that eating more frequently will cause weight loss this is what I posted that got everyone so heated. "It is very important to eat multiple times a day. For metabolism efficiency..." Effiency meaning keeping your body running at a steady pace with steady nutrient flow etc.

then I posted "Gorging a 2000 calorie meal to meat your intake requirements isnt going to help anyone. For the sake of energy, which that is the only reason to consume food to energize your body it is best to eat consistently throughout the day. I am not a doctor or saying that you HAVE to eat so many times a day. Consistency is key if you wake at 11 try to eat as soon as your body can tolerate it. Bc if you have a decent sleep/eating schedule you probably havent eating in 8-12 hours. Your body needs the energy. Eating one big meal a day can result in fluctuating blood sugar levels, which in turn can result in loss of lean body mass. Do you want to lose muscle or fat? Eating when you have low blood sugar causes you to release more insulin which results in more fat being produced..." Does any of this say she will lose weight by eating more frequently no. It simply states what processes happen to the body IF you eat infrequently. I maybe shouldnt have put a number of meals out there. eating 5 times a day works for me. because I can divide my waking hours by those times and stay energized not feel tired or hungry etc. thats different for everyone though.

The articles above refute the idea that eating more often results in weight loss. I did not say this nor did I really even imply this. I simply stated that in order to maintain consistent energy eating more often is better for your body. Eating once a day I guess may work for some people (still not sure if this will continue for extended periods of time) but thats not my problem if you only want to eat one time a day. Its not my problem if you want to pick me out and say im wrong. Fine Im wrong does that make you feel any better, you beat me...geez lighten up people. Studies and research are release everyday and you can find anything out there to prove a point. Good job for proving a point, but thats not what I said, never mentioned weight loss or promised weight loss by eating 5 meals a day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    breakfast IS.

*sigh*
  • amayaasn
    amayaasn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    “I’m sure you’ve heard the expression ‘everyone is entitled to their opinion.’ Perhaps you’ve even said it yourself, maybe to head off an argument or bring one to a close. Well, as soon as you walk into this room, it’s no longer true. You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”

A bit harsh? Perhaps, but philosophy teachers owe it to our students to teach them how to construct and defend an argument – and to recognize when a belief has become indefensible.

The problem with “I’m entitled to my opinion” is that, all too often, it’s used to shelter beliefs that should have been abandoned. It becomes shorthand for “I can say or think whatever I like” – and by extension, continuing to argue is somehow disrespectful. And this attitude feeds, I suggest, into the false equivalence between experts and non-experts that is an increasingly pernicious feature of our public discourse.

Source: http://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978

I completely agree. I never replied I was entitled to my opinion...Never. Im pretty sure I did defend my argument and you may have defended yours you think. Actually we were arguing different things I think because If you read my last reply you will see I never said eating more often will result in weightloss so the articles you posted are irrelevant to MY argument.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    “I’m sure you’ve heard the expression ‘everyone is entitled to their opinion.’
    Source: http://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978
    I've seen that article referred to in this forum before. It's a good piece, but incorrectly titled (IMO). Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The problem arises when that entitlement extends to spreading bad information, polluting a community of ideas/voices with misinformation, or the inability to rationally defend an idea. The author gets at this toward the end. But I suspect the title was used for attention-getting. I definitely agree with the sentiment of the article.

Put another way (and related to MFP and any other forum): your opinion, what you're thinking, your choices, how you want to live your life - all none of my business.

As soon as you start "selling" your opinion to the community I participate in, it becomes my business. Because I am part of that community. And I may dispute your idea of what is right.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day....b/c it jump-starts your metabolism. I used to get sick from eating breakfast, but I quit my belly-aching and just did it. I eat breakfast faithfully and it's been a year since I started doing so...I just eat something small: granola bar, dry cereal, fruit, etc. Anything is better than nothing. Your body will get used to your routine.

(No pun intended...that's just how I referred to myself. lol)
    Please don't perpetuate the myth about metabolism jump-starting.

If you are posting 11+ posts a day, you certainly have the time to do better research.

RE: breakfast, I will say this: waffles > pancakes.

PIE> waffles

Ice cream ON pie > pie

fixed it.
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options

RE: breakfast, I will say this: waffles > pancakes.

PIE> waffles

Ice cream ON pie > pie

fixed it.

i have to go with Maple Ice Cream on Bacon Waffle.
    and a side of Cranky's pie.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    ...This is supposed to be a website where we offer support to each other....

Is it? Where does it say that? (my question is sincere).

Just to add my $.02 ~ I wouldn't consider it supportive to offer incorrect information, nor to sit quiet and not speak up against misinformation.

I'm grateful this website has a healthy balance of information we can pick thru. It's been very helpful for me to read those who offer counter opinion.

Totally agree its is healthy for someone to offer information against what they think is a wrong opinion or misinformation. Please show me where anyone has replied to my post with any information? ANY INFORMATION? I at least gave information and I also added "I am not a doctor" but this has been found to be true of...Everyone that quoted me just stated I was wrong and to stop posting misinformation. Give me the "correct" information then please?? Give me references to the "facts" please??

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

I did not post that eating more frequently will cause weight loss this is what I posted that got everyone so heated. "It is very important to eat multiple times a day. For metabolism efficiency..." Effiency meaning keeping your body running at a steady pace with steady nutrient flow etc.

then I posted "Gorging a 2000 calorie meal to meat your intake requirements isnt going to help anyone. For the sake of energy, which that is the only reason to consume food to energize your body it is best to eat consistently throughout the day. I am not a doctor or saying that you HAVE to eat so many times a day. Consistency is key if you wake at 11 try to eat as soon as your body can tolerate it. Bc if you have a decent sleep/eating schedule you probably havent eating in 8-12 hours. Your body needs the energy. Eating one big meal a day can result in fluctuating blood sugar levels, which in turn can result in loss of lean body mass. Do you want to lose muscle or fat? Eating when you have low blood sugar causes you to release more insulin which results in more fat being produced..." Does any of this say she will lose weight by eating more frequently no. It simply states what processes happen to the body IF you eat infrequently. I maybe shouldnt have put a number of meals out there. eating 5 times a day works for me. because I can divide my waking hours by those times and stay energized not feel tired or hungry etc. thats different for everyone though.

The articles above refute the idea that eating more often results in weight loss. I did not say this nor did I really even imply this. I simply stated that in order to maintain consistent energy eating more often is better for your body. Eating once a day I guess may work for some people (still not sure if this will continue for extended periods of time) but thats not my problem if you only want to eat one time a day. Its not my problem if you want to pick me out and say im wrong. Fine Im wrong does that make you feel any better, you beat me...geez lighten up people. Studies and research are release everyday and you can find anything out there to prove a point. Good job for proving a point, but thats not what I said, never mentioned weight loss or promised weight loss by eating 5 meals a day.

opiewtflook_zps6b70ed53.gif
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast is a common strategy for people who are trying to lose weight, but unfortunately, it's usually not a successful strategy. Your body (or more likely, your brain) expects to be refueled a few times each day. When you don't eat breakfast you may feel so hungry by lunch time that you eat more foods than you normally would, which cancels out the calories you cut by skipping breakfast. You may also be tempted to choose foods that are not the healthiest choices when you feel like you're starving.

For many people, eating breakfast may is an important part of a weight loss diet. Research studies tell us that people who eat breakfast are more likely to maintain a healthy weight. Some experts believe that breakfast keeps your metabolism running higher because skipping meals causes the body to kick into 'starvation' mode. This sounds impressive, but it really isn't what happens -- it takes three or for days of eating nothing before the body starts gearing down your metabolism. It's more likely that people who regularly eat breakfast also make good dietary choices the rest of the day.

While any breakfast may be better than no breakfast, don't ruin your breakfast with high-fat and high-calorie foods. There are some foods you might want to avoid because they're high in added sugars, sodium, saturated fats and calories. Cut back on sugary breakfast cereals (over 5.0 grams per serving), high-calorie pastries, and meats like bacon and sausage that are high in saturated fat and sodium.

Breakfast should include a healthy source of protein and plenty of fiber; the combination will help satisfy your hunger and will keep you feeling full until lunch time. The protein can come from low-fat meat, low-fat dairy products, or nuts and nut butters. Eggs are also a good source of protein. They're also high in saturated fats, but one egg only has about 75 calories and they're quite satiating so it can help keep the hunger pangs away. High-fiber foods include fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

A healthy breakfast doesn't need to be extravagant or take a long time to prepare. Try a simpler breakfast -- something simple like a hard boiled egg, a piece of 100-percent whole grain toast along with a cup of 100-percent fruit juice. And there's nothing wrong with a bowl of cold whole grain cereal with berries and low-fat milk (remember to check the cereal label for grams of sugar). You can also purchase breakfast bars made from different types of cereal, but remember to read the label because many of these bars are high in sugar.

If you really don't like to eat breakfast first thing in the morning, you can split it up into two smaller meals. Eat a hard boiled egg, or a small cup of yogurt at home before you leave for work, then about an hour or two later, take a break from work and snack on an apple and a handful of healthy nuts like pecans or walnuts.
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Have you ever heard anyone say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? Well, if you have, know that they were right! Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day. Here are five reasons why you should join the millions of people who eat breakfast each and every morning!

Reason Number One...
    There is a brand new day ahead of you each morning. Eating breakfast can help you to have a great day. Our bodies cannot run on empty until lunch time. How many people eat a really healthy lunch? When our bodies do not have proper nutrition they do not function to their fullest. We will not feel good if we do not eat breakfast. Noone wants to not feel good half the day. We are not as productive when we don't feel well.

Reason Number Two...
    Our energy level. Breakfast gives our bodies nutrition and substance. This is where our energy comes from. People who do not eat breakfast have considerably less energy than people who do. Think about it. Breakfast is the meal after dinner. We eat dinner then sleep through the night. That's eight or more hours with out eating. Our bodies need to be nourished in the morning. They've gone without for hours. If we do not eat in the morning our bodies will not be able to produce the energy we need for the day.

Reason Number Three...
    Concentration. People who do not eat breakfast often have a hard time concentrating. They also have difficulty learning because they are scatterbrained. People who do eat breakfast tend to be much more focused on the task at hand. They do not have trouble concentrating nearly as much as those who do not eat breakfast. We think a lot each day. This is really something to think about!

Reason Number Four...
    Your mood. Did you know that hunger can cause mood swings and irritability. So can running on empty. Your body is lacking something. This affects your whole system. People who do eat breakfast tend to be much less irritable than those who do not. They tend to be in a better mood. Noone around you wants you to be irritable. Noone likes it when people mood swing. DO yourself and those around you a favor each day, eat breakfast :)

Reason Number Five...
    Breakfast is at the very beginning of the day. Families can sit down and enjoy this meal together, grasping a little bit of quality time each morning. See, breakfast can help you to have a great day in more ways than one! What better way to start your day :)

Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day. There are many more reasons why. Start your day off right, as a family. It is especially important for kids to eat breakfast. What better way to set a great example than you eating breakfast with them?
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    Why You Should Eat Breakfast

Having a healthy and balanced breakfast is important for your well-being. There are three reason why you should not skip your breakfast.
    1.As you attempt to go through the morning without breakfast, you may suffer various symptoms such as headache, shakiness, weakness and lack of concentration. This is due to the fact that after a long night sleep, your blood sugar levels could be dangerously low. Any kind of strenuous physical activities could be affected.
    2.Breakfast is an ideal opportunity to get nutrients into your diet. Breakfast provides calories and it is important for children, teens, physically active adults and even for overweight people trying to lose weight.
    3.If you skip your breakfast, you would probably feel very hungry around mid or late-morning. You could probably crave for a sugary snack, such as doughnut, which contains a lot of fat and less nutrients. So, you are eating a less balanced and less nutritious food instead of a balanced nutritious breakfast.
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    But I only eat one meal a day?OMG am I harming myself.i didn't know this news,why didnt someone tell me this
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast is a common strategy for people who are trying to lose weight, but unfortunately, it's usually not a successful strategy. Your body (or more likely, your brain) expects to be refueled a few times each day. When you don't eat breakfast you may feel so hungry by lunch time that you eat more foods than you normally would, which cancels out the calories you cut by skipping breakfast. You may also be tempted to choose foods that are not the healthiest choices when you feel like you're starving.

In a situation where calories and nutrients aren't being monitored then yes this is a fair assertion. In MFP-land, people are monitoring their caloric intake and can freely see whether or not skipping breakfast causes them to over-consume calories. For many people, skipping breakfast improves dietary adherence.

Ghrelin is adaptable to behavior patterns. Skip breakfast for a while and very soon you will not be hungry for breakfast.
  • hautetheory
    Options
    You always hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but why? I'm never hungry in the morning and if I force myself to eat it makes me sick. Does anybody else have this problem? What are some good alternatives to eating solid food? Preferably some non-processed, low-calorie options. The obvious solution would be a smoothie or some kind of weight loss drink, but what kind? What kind is going to give me what I need in the mornings that I should be getting from the "most important meal of the day"?

I had the same problem. I never used to eat in the morning and I hated it because I would feel sick. It took a lot of getting used to but now that I do it and eat every three hours (for the most part) my metabolism has sped up so fast that I have lost about 17 pounds in two weeks with strictly that change. I have not been working out because I wanted to take it slow with the changes I made. I am starting the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution today so this will be my first day working out. Jump starting your metabolism is totally worth the gagging feeling from eating breakfast. If you like tea, try drinking some in the morning about 15 minutes before you eat breakfast. That helped me a little. Also, if you just get through it, you should get used to it within a week.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Jump starting your metabolism is totally worth the gagging feeling from eating breakfast. If you like tea, try drinking some in the morning about 15 minutes before you eat breakfast.

Breakfast did not kickstart your metabolism and if someone experiences discomfort or gagging from forcing food into their gullet when they aren't hungry I'd advise against it.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It is very important to eat multiple times a day. For metabolism efficiency you should try to eat 5 small meals a day. or 5 tiems a day snacks and meals. If you are looking for a smoothie type breakfast I recommend getting some information about Shakeology. It is actually the "healthiest meal of the day" Ive been drinking it now for over 2 months and have really seen some great improvements in not only weight loss, but health in general.

This is just not true. Meal frequency has not direct impact on your metabolism, calories and macros being equal.

Thank you for posting this. Too many people have bought into the myth that eating 5-7 small meals during the boosts metabolism and is more effective than 2-3 normal meals, and those people continue to litter these message boards with this MIS-information. I eat when I'm hungry and when I need to boost my energy levels, all while staying within my calorie and macro limits. The number of meals isn't important, the number of calories is.

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You always hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but why? I'm never hungry in the morning and if I force myself to eat it makes me sick. Does anybody else have this problem? What are some good alternatives to eating solid food? Preferably some non-processed, low-calorie options. The obvious solution would be a smoothie or some kind of weight loss drink, but what kind? What kind is going to give me what I need in the mornings that I should be getting from the "most important meal of the day"?

I had the same problem. I never used to eat in the morning and I hated it because I would feel sick. It took a lot of getting used to but now that I do it and eat every three hours (for the most part) my metabolism has sped up so fast that I have lost about 17 pounds in two weeks with strictly that change. I have not been working out because I wanted to take it slow with the changes I made. I am starting the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution today so this will be my first day working out. Jump starting your metabolism is totally worth the gagging feeling from eating breakfast. If you like tea, try drinking some in the morning about 15 minutes before you eat breakfast. That helped me a little. Also, if you just get through it, you should get used to it within a week.

Really?!!
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    try Ensure shakes,replacement meals they use to give those at the nursing home my Mom worked at for those who didn't like breakfast so they had some nutrients in them. If you can stomach anything maybe a small bit of yogurt ( if actually able to eat mix it in oatmeal).
  • hautetheory
    Options
    I have also noticed that when I eat a good breakfast (around 350 cals) and a "big Lunch" (500 cal), then my afternoon snack (around 150 - 200 cal) then I am not very hungry for dinner and I am able to stick to small portions. I also feel better when doing my evening workout because I don't feel weighed down. I am moving around all day at work so my body has time to burn off the heavier meals and this seems to work for me. It really comes down to what works for you and what your goals are. My goals are to have a fast metabolism like I used to before my pregnancy where I didn't really have to worry about the scale. Once I lose weight I don't EVER want to gain it again or have to worry about it all the time.
  • hautetheory
    Options

Really?!!

Yeah, really! I lose weight pretty quickly but it is probably because I am sooooo overweight. I started at 260 two weeks ago (my heaviest) and I am now this morning 243.2. It is hard because I can lose weight so fast that I just jump right into it doing three hours of workouts a day and trying to eat only 1300 calories but I always gain it back. I told myself this is the last time I go through this again so I worked on getting my diet under control and replacing bad eating habits with good ones. Now I feel I am ready to do workouts but I am only allowing myself to workout for an hour a day until I feel I have it under control and won't go crazy, then burn myself out and stop.