The most important meal of the day?

Options

Replies

• gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Not trying to sell anything. Just mentioning a product that has helped me. If you will notice I just simply mentioned get more information. Gorging a 2000 calorie meal to meat your intake requirements isnt going to help anyone. For the sake of energy, which that is the only reason to consume food to energize your body it is best to eat consistently throughout the day. I am not a doctor or saying that you HAVE to eat so many times a day. Consistency is key if you wake at 11 try to eat as soon as your body can tolerate it. Bc if you have a decent sleep/eating schedule you probably havent eating in 8-12 hours. Your body needs the energy. Eating one big meal a day can result in fluctuating blood sugar levels, which in turn can result in loss of lean body mass. Do you want to lose muscle or fat? Eating when you have low blood sugar causes you to release more insulin which results in more fat being produced. Loss of lean muscle mass, production of fat. Ill stick with eating throughout the day. Waiting for all you vultures to jump on this one!! Cant wait for the replies I get!!

:noway:
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I do not eat in the AM also I am not hungry till 10 or 11 ish so I guess thats when I eat "Breakfeast" then I have a "Lunch" around 2 or 3 then dinner 5 or 6 then snacks in the PM (thats what gets me).
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Please tell me of a bodybuilder, fitness model, someone who has been successful in losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle for any period of time at all that will advocate eating one meal a day?

There's this thing called google. You type in keywords. For this, you'd use "one meal a day" "bodybuilder" and you'll see a ton of results. If your research skills are this stunted, how can you possibly get anyone to believe any of that drivel you posted before.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to watch the spread of falsehoods on the internet.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Not trying to sell anything. Just mentioning a product that has helped me. If you will notice I just simply mentioned get more information. Gorging a 2000 calorie meal to meat your intake requirements isnt going to help anyone. For the sake of energy, which that is the only reason to consume food to energize your body it is best to eat consistently throughout the day. I am not a doctor or saying that you HAVE to eat so many times a day. Consistency is key if you wake at 11 try to eat as soon as your body can tolerate it. Bc if you have a decent sleep/eating schedule you probably havent eating in 8-12 hours. Your body needs the energy. Eating one big meal a day can result in fluctuating blood sugar levels, which in turn can result in loss of lean body mass. Do you want to lose muscle or fat? Eating when you have low blood sugar causes you to release more insulin which results in more fat being produced. Loss of lean muscle mass, production of fat. Ill stick with eating throughout the day. Waiting for all you vultures to jump on this one!! Cant wait for the replies I get!!

You are simply wrong. Stop spreading false information. It only hurts people.

This! Stop spreading false information. There are a lot of successful people who eat once or twice a day and GAIN muscle or lose body fat. Eating infrequently isn't what causes muscle loss and production of fat. No one here is a vulture.. people are just responding so people don't believe the nonsense you are spreading around here like it's fact when it's not.
  • kammykoopa
    Options
    I just wanted to say thanks to everybody that had useful information to offer. I realize that different things work for different people and I appreciate all the input I can get.

As for those of you attacking people on my post, I am very disappointed. This is supposed to be a website where we offer support to each other. I've been using this site 2 days and the negativity from some of you is already apparent. Looks like it's time to find out if there is a block feature.

Again, thanks to all who gave me useful info and good luck!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ...This is supposed to be a website where we offer support to each other....

Is it? Where does it say that? (my question is sincere).

Just to add my $.02 ~ I wouldn't consider it supportive to offer incorrect information, nor to sit quiet and not speak up against misinformation.

I'm grateful this website has a healthy balance of information we can pick thru. It's been very helpful for me to read those who offer counter opinion.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day....b/c it jump-starts your metabolism. I used to get sick from eating breakfast, but I quit my belly-aching and just did it. I eat breakfast faithfully and it's been a year since I started doing so...I just eat something small: granola bar, dry cereal, fruit, etc. Anything is better than nothing. Your body will get used to your routine.

(No pun intended...that's just how I referred to myself. lol)
    Please don't perpetuate the myth about metabolism jump-starting.

If you are posting 11+ posts a day, you certainly have the time to do better research.

RE: breakfast, I will say this: waffles > pancakes.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day....b/c it jump-starts your metabolism. I used to get sick from eating breakfast, but I quit my belly-aching and just did it. I eat breakfast faithfully and it's been a year since I started doing so...I just eat something small: granola bar, dry cereal, fruit, etc. Anything is better than nothing. Your body will get used to your routine.

If you are posting 11+ posts a day, you certainly have the time to do better research.

PIE> waffles
  • amayaasn
    amayaasn Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Just to add my $.02 ~ I wouldn't consider it supportive to offer incorrect information, nor to sit quiet and not speak up against misinformation.

I'm grateful this website has a healthy balance of information we can pick thru. It's been very helpful for me to read those who offer counter opinion.

Totally agree its is healthy for someone to offer information against what they think is a wrong opinion or misinformation. Please show me where anyone has replied to my post with any information? ANY INFORMATION? I at least gave information and I also added "I am not a doctor" but this has been found to be true of...Everyone that quoted me just stated I was wrong and to stop posting misinformation. Give me the "correct" information then please?? Give me references to the "facts" please??
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

PIE> waffles

Ice cream > pie
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    For me, its post workout.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Totally agree its is healthy for someone to offer information against what they think is a wrong opinion or misinformation. Please show me where anyone has replied to my post with any information? ANY INFORMATION? I at least gave information and I also added "I am not a doctor" but this has been found to be true of...Everyone that quoted me just stated I was wrong and to stop posting misinformation. Give me the "correct" information then please?? Give me references to the "facts" please??

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is only the most important meal of the day for people who need to eat it for medical or for personal preference/energy reasons.

If you are not hungry and it does not impact your energy levels, don't eat it and save your calories for when you are hungry.

Meal frequency only really matters if it impacts adherence and energy levels.

Yes
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    In for pie, because....well...pie.

In for the possibility of waffles > pancakes, but having said that, IHOP > Waffle House

In for eating breakfast at lunch time and calling it brunch.

In for reading of myths and legends of jump-started metabolisms and how eating all your calories at once is bad.

In for pseudo-science and MLM brochure rhetoric.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I imagine someone has already said this, but breakfast is not the most important meal of the day. What is important is that you consume healthy food with sufficient nutrients while creating a calorie deficit over the week. How you do it is up to you. You also do not need to eat six meals a day, three meals and two snacks, etc. Some people who do various forms of Intermittent Fasting don't even eat every day and they are doing fine.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    It is very important to eat multiple times a day. For metabolism efficiency you should try to eat 5 small meals a day. or 5 tiems a day snacks and meals. If you are looking for a smoothie type breakfast I recommend getting some information about Shakeology. It is actually the "healthiest meal of the day" Ive been drinking it now for over 2 months and have really seen some great improvements in not only weight loss, but health in general.

No.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

First, doctors frequently know very little about nutrition in any context that isn't related to very specific metabolic disorders.

Second, the thermic effect of food (TEF) does kick in every time you eat. HOWEVER, the magnitude of that effect is determined mostly by the caloric content of that food--and also some what by whatever macronutrients are involved.

If you just do a forum search right in these very forums on "meal frequency" you'll find several threads that cite sources that I don't feel the need to go fishing for at the moment.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    “I’m sure you’ve heard the expression ‘everyone is entitled to their opinion.’ Perhaps you’ve even said it yourself, maybe to head off an argument or bring one to a close. Well, as soon as you walk into this room, it’s no longer true. You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”

A bit harsh? Perhaps, but philosophy teachers owe it to our students to teach them how to construct and defend an argument – and to recognize when a belief has become indefensible.

The problem with “I’m entitled to my opinion” is that, all too often, it’s used to shelter beliefs that should have been abandoned. It becomes shorthand for “I can say or think whatever I like” – and by extension, continuing to argue is somehow disrespectful. And this attitude feeds, I suggest, into the false equivalence between experts and non-experts that is an increasingly pernicious feature of our public discourse.

Source: http://theconversation.com/no-youre-not-entitled-to-your-opinion-9978
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is only the most important meal of the day for people who need to eat it for medical or for personal preference/energy reasons.

If you are not hungry and it does not impact your energy levels, don't eat it and save your calories for when you are hungry.

Meal frequency only really matters if it impacts adherence and energy levels.

Yes

QFT. If breakfast did magically boost my metabolism I would eat it every day. It doesn't so I'd rather skip it as I'm never hungry first thing and save the calories for a bigger evening meal or snacks during the day.