Wake up to the Benefits of Breakfast!

Options

Replies

• EWhitaker526
    EWhitaker526 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Laughing at you all. Taking this a little too serious and getting rude over nothing. Wow is all I can say.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Laughing at you all. Taking this a little too serious and getting rude over nothing. Wow is all I can say.

:huh: Your contribution was stimulating and informative.
  • EWhitaker526
    EWhitaker526 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks! :happy:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this is probably the most well thought out, structured, formatted, load of BS that I have ever read....
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I eat at 10am... even thought I wake up at 6:30am.
    Because that is when my body tells me I'm hungry.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by Kellogg's.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Dear OP, first of all, you shouldn't represent someone else's writing as your own. I looked up the source for you. You're welcome. (Apologies if you happen to work for IFICF and authored this article.)

http://www.foodinsight.org/linkclick.aspx?fileticket=XJBdt/FvaXE=&tabid=1348

Second, here is a layman's overview of why eating breakfast is not a good idea for many people. There is a long list of references to research at the end. Cliff's notes: you do not NEED to eat breakfast, and for some people it is actually counterproductive to do so because they end up eating more than they would if they just listened to their bodies.

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

Lest you think I am here to push my own meal timing preferences, I should add that I eat a fairly huge breakfast every day (around 800 calories) and cannot function without it. I do not assume that my preferences would work for other people, however.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Dear OP, first of all, you shouldn't represent someone else's writing as your own. I looked up the source for you. You're welcome. (Apologies if you happen to work for IFICF and authored this article.)

Second, here is a layman's overview of why eating breakfast is not a good idea for many people. There is a long list of references to research at the end. Cliff's notes: you do not NEED to eat breakfast, and for some people it is actually counterproductive to do so because they end up eating more than they would if they just listened to their bodies.

Lest you think I am here to push my own meal timing preferences, I should add that I eat a fairly huge breakfast every day (around 800 calories) and cannot function without it. I do not assume that my preferences would work for other people, however.

how dare you not assume that what works for you will work for everyone else!
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Research suggests that adult breakfast skippers are at greater risk for obesity and weight gain, while breakfast eaters tend to have healthier weights. Kids and teens who eat breakfast are less likely to be overweight, too.

From #4--how do we say it politely-What a steaming pile of SHAT!!

Research suggests playing leap frog with a unicorn leads to a free colonscopy--T-R-U-E and you only jump once!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    research also suggests that 100% of the people who eat breakfast die....
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I believe this research is accurate.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    according to findings from the National Weight Control Registery, almost eight in 10 adults who maintain a 30 plus pound weight loss for at least a year eat breakfast every day.

This is a perfect example of correlation rather than causation. If you read their website you will find most of their respondents have been middle-aged, white females (so not exactly an accurate representation of the general population), and an age group who will have been convinced that breakfast is an essential meal throughout their lives. This is not a controlled experiment in the slightest.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^well said.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Whilst I certainly think eating breakfast has some benefits for many people, particularly those with dysregulated eating patterns and who are not consciously tracking calorie intake, it is by no mean necessary.

As a general population wide message I think it is a good one though.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast might not work for everyone. However, you made a good point that breakfast food tends to be healthy. I think it's great to integrate traditional breakfast food into other meals if you skip it. Eggs, oatmeal, milk, fruit, fortified cereal...good stuff.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Eating breakfast might not work for everyone. However, you made a good point that breakfast food tends to be healthy. I think it's great to integrate traditional breakfast food into other meals if you skip it. Eggs, oatmeal, milk, fruit, fortified cereal...good stuff.

there are plenty of unhealthy breakfast options that you can gorge on ...pancakes, blueberry muffins, donuts, etc....
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    All this aside, I have yet to meet anyone who does a manual job who can function effectively without a breakfast inside them.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I was brought up on a very old proverb (long before Kelloggs) - "breakfast like a king, lunch like a lord and dine like a pauper" - and the theory being that for many manual workers, you needed that energy boost to enable you to function at work, and did not need it in the evening when for many with no electricity, you went to bed soon after dinner!
    But for most of us now, we are no longer doing heavy manual work, but sit around staring at computer screens all day, so it does no harm if we spread our calorie needs more evenly over the day. The danger is that if you rush off to work having had nothing, you get to the office and need an energy boost mid-morning, and grab the nearest convenient food... which tends to be sugary snacks, which then don't last. So you are caught up in having a series of high cal convenience food snacks, which are also very 'more-ish'.
    So the answer is to take some healthier foods to work with you, banana, oat bars, etc, and avoid the doughnuts and cookies!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    This is really just a load of crap. Meal timing has no significant impact on results. Allowing yourself to get so hungry that you don't make wise choices, on the other hand, makes a hug difference on results (food choices or consumption amounts).

What a "traditional breakfast" looks like is really cultural. Every meal should be well balanced and help you meet your goals. While I do love a good traditional English breakfast (eggs, toast, sausage, tomato, beans, mushrooms), if I ate this every day I wouldn't have the calorie allowance for anything else.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    Double post. fail.