Wake up to the Benefits of Breakfast!

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    BTW, I did eat breakfast this morning (sometimes I do) and with 2 hours to go before lunch I am feeling very hungry. When I skip it I am usually not hungry. For me personally, there is something to the "once you light the fire you must feed the flames" school of thought.

actually there is not...there is no evidence that eating breakfast first thing in the morning does anything for metabolism, flames, or anything else you want to call it..

How could that be true? Eating causes an increase in metabolism.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    BTW, I did eat breakfast this morning (sometimes I do) and with 2 hours to go before lunch I am feeling very hungry. When I skip it I am usually not hungry. For me personally, there is something to the "once you light the fire you must feed the flames" school of thought.

actually there is not...there is no evidence that eating breakfast first thing in the morning does anything for metabolism, flames, or anything else you want to call it..

If you assume you will eat the same amount of food during the day, whether you eat breakfast or not, then you have the answer to that question, i.e. the same amount of food will have the same effect on your body. The point is that meal timing doesn't matter. I intentionally skip breakfast many days. I cannot consistently keep IF because on legs days and certain other active days, I need to eat either before I work out or simply because I wake up quite hungry. The beauty is that knowing meal timing doesn't matter allows each individual to confidently do what works for him/her and to not eat when he/she is not hungry.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

If you assume you will eat the same amount of food during the day, whether you eat breakfast or not, then you have the answer to that question, i.e. the same amount of food will have the same effect on your body. The point is that meal timing doesn't matter. I intentionally skip breakfast many days. I cannot consistently keep IF because on legs days and certain other active days, I need to eat either before I work out or simply because I wake up quite hungry. The beauty is that knowing meal timing doesn't matter allows each individual to confidently do what works for him/her and to not eat when he/she is not hungry.

^ this is the correct answer...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    research also suggests that 100% of the people who eat breakfast die....

Can you provide a link to those studies?

www.youwilldie.com

That page was unavailable. :frown:

Kellogg's, Quaker, et all has already disabled it??? *kitten*!!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I agree with aelunyu in that the studies largely deal with correlation rather than causation. If you changed nothing else in your diet, and just started eating breakfast, chances are, there wouldn't be a big change. People who start eating breakfast do so because they start caring about their diets, and therefore are eating better throughout the day and having results. The same goes for eating at night.

The whole "breakfast is the most important meal of the day?" Advertising spin. Wasn't it the egg industry that did that?
    Cereal industry, actually.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

My analytic, rational mind agrees with you completely, but I still feel hungry...

well at least we agree..

Yes. My hunger is psychological; that makes it no less real. Funny thing is, I went ahead and heated my lunch and now I am sort of picking at it, not wolfing it down or anything. So many things would be easier if I had as much control over my mind as it seems like I should...
  • bcattoes
    Options

While I agree with your points in this post, it's not the same thing you said in the previous.

"there is no evidence that eating breakfast first thing in the morning does anything for metabolism." is not true

There is no evidence that eating breakfast first thing in the morning does anything more than eating later would, is true.
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    No longer eat breakfast, also no longer eat 6 small meals a day, I have never felt more awesome! I now only eat 2 big meals a day, so whatever works for you - do it!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Beachiron already covered it, but I'd like to also add that:

1. It's a very small increase in metabolism, pretty much negligible.

2. The increase is based on total calories, not the timing of the calories.

Eating a 2000 calorie meal will have the same metabolic increase as eating 2000 calories split up into several meals and snacks.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    research also suggests that 100% of the people who eat breakfast die....

Can you provide a link to those studies?

www.youwilldie.com

That page was unavailable. :frown:

Kellogg's, Quaker, et all has already disabled it??? *kitten*!!!!

Did it provide proof that breakfast eaters never become one of the undead? Is that why vampires only eat at night?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If I eat a bacon and egg sammich at 11:30 am is it still breakfast?
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I do like how OP has vanished from this discussion after the original post.
  • BeachIron
    Options

While I agree with your points in this post, it's not the same thing you said in the previous.

"there is no evidence that eating breakfast first thing in the morning does anything for metabolism." is not true

There is no evidence that eating breakfast first thing in the morning does anything more than eating later would, is true.

You seemed to have me confused with someone else as my comment was a clarification of an earlier point that was not made by me. That said, given the context, I thought their point was already quite clear.
  • ndj1979
    Options

You seemed to have me confused with someone else as my comment was a clarification of an earlier point that was not made by me. That said, given the context, I thought their point was already quite clear.
    yea, that was I ...and what I was saying is that "eating breakfast or skipping breakfast has zero impact on metabolism" ...although, some would argue that skipping breakfast and extending your overnight fast will actually increase metabolism...www.leangains.com
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BREAKFAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't love it or hate it...it is just a meal :)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    yea, that was I ...and what I was saying is that "eating breakfast or skipping breakfast has zero impact on metabolism" ...although, some would argue that skipping breakfast and extending your overnight fast will actually increase metabolism...www.leangains.com

My point is that eating breakfast does impact metabolism. While I did know what you meant, the number of posts about breakfast "jump starting metabolism" would suggest that not everyone on MFP would assume you meant if you eat the same amount of food during the day when you say there is 'no impact'.

Edit: wall of text removed.
  • ndj1979
    Options

My point is that eating breakfast does impact metabolism. While I did know what you meant, the number of posts about breakfast "jump starting metabolism" would suggest that not everyone on MFP would assume you meant if you eat the same amount of food during the day when you say there is 'no impact'.

no actually it does not ...if Person A eats 500 cals for breakfast and 500 for lunch, then the metabolic increase is based on burning off 1000 calories (500 for breakfast and 500 for lunch)..

Person B skips breakfast and has 1000 cals for lunch ...the metabolic increase is still based on burning off 1000 calories...thus Person A gets no additional benefit for eating breakfast over Person B...
  • bcattoes
    Options

no actually it does not ...if Person A eats 500 cals for breakfast and 500 for lunch, then the metabolic increase is based on burning off 1000 calories (500 for breakfast and 500 for lunch)..

Person B skips breakfast and has 1000 cals for lunch ...the metabolic increase is still based on burning off 1000 calories...thus Person A gets no additional benefit for eating breakfast over Person B...

So then, the 500 calorie breakfast did impact metabolism.

The same amount as 500 calories eaten at any other part of the day, but an impact nonetheless.
  • BeachIron
    Options

So then, the 500 calorie breakfast did impact metabolism.

The same amount as 500 calories eaten at any other part of the day, but an impact nonetheless.

Copying for use the next time I discuss debating with students. This is a great example of how to embarrass yourself and cause people to stop taking you seriously.