Carbs

Options

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Some cheese does have carbs, others have low or no carbs at all. If I knew how to paste a picture here I would show you. Infact, you can look at my food diary, if you like. Some of my cheese has 2g of carbs, other cheese has none. And all of my eggs have 0g of carbs. Or, next time you go to the grocery, have a look for yourself. Not lying here, everything I listed above has 0g of carbs.

Your eggs have carbs. On average it's about 0.4g per egg. They're legally allowed to round that down to 0, but on average, you're getting 1 carb for every 2.5 eggs.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Some cheese does have carbs, others have low or no carbs at all. If I knew how to paste a picture here I would show you. Infact, you can look at my food diary, if you like. Some of my cheese has 2g of carbs, other cheese has none. And all of my eggs have 0g of carbs. Or, next time you go to the grocery, have a look for yourself. Not lying here, everything I listed above has 0g of carbs.

Because the carbs in 1 egg is less that 1. They still have carbs, regardless of what your diary says. Same with cheese. Negligible amounts still does not mean 0.

• JessikaJacobs87
    JessikaJacobs87 Posts: 57 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can understand the low carb thing. It never was a sustainable option for me because I love pasta, bread, potatoes, pizza, etc. My friend did the Atkin's/low carb deal and lost 90 pounds. My only question about this type of diet is, you put your body in a state of accelerated ketosis which burns body fat for energy. How do you stop the process? Slowly introduce carbs back into your diet?

Honestly, it is a lifestyle change, not a diet. And you would just start to eat more carbs, a little at a time so your body goes back to burning carbs for energy instead of fat. It's not hard to eat more carbs, it's hard to eat less.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I did keto a long time ago and even eating a proper amount of protein and doing a good training regime I still lost some muscle, but I did it for roughly 6 months. Way too long. I learned from it though.

It's great for people that don't care if they lose muscle and just want to get the weight off. If you're already somewhat thin and looking to keep LBM I don't recommend it.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    I can understand the low carb thing. It never was a sustainable option for me because I love pasta, bread, potatoes, pizza, etc. My friend did the Atkin's/low carb deal and lost 90 pounds. My only question about this type of diet is, you put your body in a state of accelerated ketosis which burns body fat for energy. How do you stop the process? Slowly introduce carbs back into your diet?

You can, and some people do. Others opt not to, because you lose the taste for those carb heavy things. The pasta, bread, potatoes, etc, are basically fillers to carry the foods that actually taste good. Popcorn is there to carry the butter and salt. There are some exceptions, obviously artisan bread without the 3c of sugar in it, but that's not what Walmart and Kroger is selling.

I have to avoid certain carb-heavy foods for medical reasons. The choice to be fully keto is one of convenience for me. I've tried some of the carby things I can have from time to time. Generally if it's a dessert thing, it ends up tasting so overly sweet my teeth clench and get that ice cream headache type pain in my jaw. If it's a starchier thing, it's just bland and sits in my stomach like a lump for an hour after. I've also occasionally gone up to regular low carb instead of keto (~65g/day), and my energy just drops like a rock, so I don't see much point to it.
  • JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Generally if it's a dessert thing, it ends up tasting so overly sweet my teeth clench and get that ice cream headache type pain in my jaw.

I know this feeling! Last night I went to my in laws and we had dinner. They obviously dont conform to my needs, since I am one person. I had a very good pork chop, and then they had cheesecake for dinner. Since I havent had anything like that in a while, I had a small bit. And OMG, it tasted sweet as icing on a cake, and nearly knocked me out from a sugar coma. Nope. If I want a snack, I have 60% coca square that I can have one of. Lol

• kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options

People slowly add carbs in to see where there body starts to gain weight back and then continue life staying under what their body can handle. My whole diet was carbs before I started as well, but I don't miss them at all now, but I have a hard time sustaining low calorie. I get obsessed and starve myself then give up. Plus I just don't think I process carbs right, because I eat more calories now than I did before low carb and I have lost 111 pounds in 9 months. I think low calorie is great for a lot of people, just not for me. You look great though so it obviously works for you.
  • JPW1990
    Options

People slowly add carbs in to see where there body starts to gain weight back and then continue life staying under what their body can handle. My whole diet was carbs before I started as well, but I don't miss them at all now, but I have a hard time sustaining low calorie. I get obsessed and starve myself then give up. Plus I just don't think I process carbs right, because I eat more calories now than I did before low carb and I have lost 111 pounds in 9 months. I think low calorie is great for a lot of people, just not for me. You look great though so it obviously works for you.

Have you been to a doctor lately? That's common with people who have insulin resistance, and that can go hand in hand with a few different issues.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Have you been to a doctor lately? That's common with people who have insulin resistance, and that can go hand in hand with a few different issues.

No, I haven't been to the dr since I had my son 20 months ago. I probably should go get a yearly checkup. I'm not sure what tests they run while you're pregnant, since they are always poking you so I'm not sure if they test for anything like that. I failed the one hour glucose test but passed the 3 hour, could be a sign something isn't right I guess.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Becky_W25 wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

You're all being really helpful, thank you so much.

I have to admit, the personal trainer that told me to eat 25g only told me this on Wednesday and it's been playing on my mind a bit because i've always though it's healthier to eat around 100g :/ it got me really confused, hence why I asked what other people do actually manage the 25g intake - because I couldn't think of any way around it without passing out.

In terms of the 900-1000 daily calorie intake; i'm definitely not doing it as a starvation diet because I want to create a more healthy lifestyle for myself and make this a permanent lifestyle change rather than a quick fix you know? At the moment i'm consuming 900-1000 (over the past week) without really realising. A lot of fruits and healthy veg goes in to my day as well...but since being on this site i've realised what i'm actually consuming may not be the right amount. So in a way, it's really good that i've started counting my calories because I didn't realise I was so low if i'm honest.

MFP says I should be losing around 2lbs a week with my activity. I'm 5'2 and pear shaped.

Thanks for your guidance and advice everyone, I really do appreciate. Especially pointing out that this guy was being silly about 25g carbs. I really appreciate your help.

1. your trainer is an idiot and I suggest finding a new one.
    2. you need to net at least 1200 calories a day

For saying that low carb is an option? Or for telling her she needs to worry less about calorie restriction?

I am a little skeptical of the notion by Dedrepublic that YOU NEED CARBS. I do not need carbs. In fact, I just spent most of the day sandbagging and I had zero carbs for breakfast and about 12 carbs for lunch. yet somehow, here I am.

@Dedrepublic.....in what context do YOU NEED CARBS? I ask that inquisitively, not offensively.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options

Honestly, it is a lifestyle change, not a diet. And you would just start to eat more carbs, a little at a time so your body goes back to burning carbs for energy instead of fat. It's not hard to eat more carbs, it's hard to eat less.
    69% of the American population over 20 would probably agree with you....
  • JessikaJacobs87
    Options

69% of the American population over 20 would probably agree with you....

They would only agree because they are addicted to carbs :) If I wanted to add carbs, all I would need is a bowl of cerial. BOOM. 26g right there. Lol. It's really not that hard, as I am sure you know.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I am a little skeptical of the notion by Dedrepublic that YOU NEED CARBS. I do not need carbs. In fact, I just spent most of the day sandbagging and I had zero carbs for breakfast and about 12 carbs for lunch. yet somehow, here I am.

@Dedrepublic.....in what context do YOU NEED CARBS? I ask that inquisitively, not offensively.

Dude...the "YOU" in above statement refers to OP. I had 18 grams of carbs before lunch, so what point are you trying to make?

I had another 200 grams of carbs between 4-9 pm (peri workout)

Am I the only one who can run a quick energy calculation in my head and and see that the Op's original calorie target is way too low? Thought we were here to help people....you have to look at he situation presented...I never said you need carbs...I know nothing about you. I said the OP did...with that kind of training schedule.

Did anyone else catch the fact that the OP is doing two weight training sessions per day?

Again...I am not hating on low carb people....not everyone needs carbs....but if you are weight training twice a day...well...never mind.

Check out link below for my
    Mindset on carbs. I have been professionally coached for a Physique Competition...and it has been my experience...and my professional diets guide me to get my carbs Peri Workout. I have seen the best results doing this.....but Only AFTER got the fat off me...

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/how-many-carbs-do-you-need

Ok...that's enough diet advice for now...everyone please remember the OP in your comments. I'm out.

• RockstarWilson
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Okay, that makes more sense. I thought you were being generic. Now I have context. I have never worked out to that degree, besides normal daily activities that are generally active anyways. I am aware of their interactions with muscles, however, on a noobie level, so carbs may indeed benefit those who look to build.

As far as calories go, I never make recommendations. I dont research that for other people, only myself.

I seriously doubt her workouts are as intense as she says, both in quantity or in quality. It's not physically possible on so few calories for any extended period of time.

• DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As far as calories go, I never make recommendations. I don't research that for other people, only myself.

I would't doubt it. Though I do research for many, and make recommendations for many, on calorie targets and macros...and I stand behind my client's results.
    I seriously doubt her workouts are as intense as she says, both in quantity or in quality. It's not physically possible on so few calories for any extended period of time.

Honestly bro...you are borderline offensive coming here and calling out the OP for not being intense in training...it is certainly possible to be intense in training on low calories which is why I said the word "dangerous" in my original post....which some other individual called me out on...but I digress.

Best of luck to you and your goals brother....just remember not everyone has your goals, your body type, your training schedule...if you are new to this then my advice is to be relentless...I can tell you are driven...so I will share another article for you.

https://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/5-secrets-of-the-relentless

• RockstarWilson
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Being offensive is irrelevant when talking about physical possibilities. If she does two intense workouts a day, she is burning upwards of 1000 calories just in workouts, at a minimum. Where does she get the energy for the other 23 hours or so in the day? She said she has been eating higher carbs...the body sends hunger signals to the brain and the glucose level dips without sufficient intake, as the liver cannot switch fast enough to using fat cells for energy expenditure. This creates a situation where the body doesnt function properly. Would she not feel symptoms?

I am just saying that what she says is conflicting, or she is very petit and doesnt have a high energy output. For a normal person, the numbers do not add up. The body would send some drastic signals that tell her she needs to eat.

Of course, she could be underestimating/innacurately measuring her food intake, and actually eating more than she knows. But that is pure speculation.

Edited the end of 1st paragraph. She does not eat low carb
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Am I the only one who can run a quick energy calculation in my head and and see that the Op's original calorie target is way too low? Thought we were here to help people....you have to look at he situation presented...I never said you need carbs...I know nothing about you. I said the OP did...with that kind of training schedule.

It's not the calculation that says the input is too low - it's your assumptions.

OP is doing 1.5 hours a week each of cardio, weights and "core". None of it is defined. We have no idea what the workout really looks like, or what the peak and average intensity look like. We also don't have access to the OP's diary, so we really don't know what she's eating.

If there's one thing you can count on on MFP, it's that you can't count on people's self-reporting.

What I see is the OP eating at some level, exercising at some level, and not losing at the expected speed. That tells me the most likely scenario is eating more than she thinks she is, while not working as hard as you seem to think she is.

And in *that* scenario, suggesting OP up the calories to support a hypothetical "energy calculation" is going to be pretty counter-productive.

Best possible advice for OP right now would simply be to open her diary.