Should woman over 50 wear short dresses/skirts?

Options

Replies

• deviboy1592
    deviboy1592 Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    KevenHull1 --Since your profile says that you are a 36 year old male, I have to wonder why you identify as a 63 year old skirt-wearer in the above comment.

Why should that matter? If it makes him feel good, who cares?
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Wear that skirt! :p All you need is confidence!

One of my coworkers is getting close to 50 and works it in short skirts and dresses. To be fair, she is 6'0" and basically every skirt or dress becomes short on her frame. But seriously, she looks amazeballs.

Do what makes you happy <3
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    How short are we talking here? Body con mini, or a little above the knee? How long have you had said skirt? If it's circa 1980, probably not...LOL

Let's just say this - my Mom is 61 and of average height and weight. If I saw her in a tight mini skirt I'd wonder if she lost her marbles and I needed to find a home quickly...only because this women has NEVER worn anything shorter than her knees her whole life.

Now, on another hand, she has a friend who is 50, and wears things that I wouldn't dare wearing my early 20's. I don't think it's appropriate and people should wear things for their age because if a woman in her 50's still wears things from her 20's she typically looks older than she is. Or trying to be younger than she is.

Happy medium please.

What is it to you? Who is it to you to judge your mother's friend for wearing what she wears? it seems many people are in a hurry to decide what is appropriate for others of any age or size to wear, for whatever reason. You don't know why she does, and it really isn't your business.

"happy medium". Who gets to decide what that is?

A group of lawmakers in North Dakota are trying to make it a felony for women who are caught wearing yoga pants in public three times.
    This is a blatant attempt to blame women for the inability of men to stop seeing them as sexual objects and solely place the blame for rape and sexual assault/harrassment on them. Beliefs like yours only enforce this stereotype.

Stop judging and support everyone's freedom to be who they are. They're only legs a skirt will be revealing, as any pair of shorts would be.

Kind of like the freedom of having your own opinion, right? Especially on the internet.

I'm on the team of wearing what you feel comfortable in, OP.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    deviboy, I don't care if he is a 103 year old hermaphrodite -- that his his/her business and I certainly don't care what she/he wears (nor do I want to look under that above-mentioned skirt). But I think that if your profile says that your are one age and sex but you post saying that you are another age and sex, then it is hard to take the comments as a truthful opinion, which is what the OP seems to be asking for.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel good, then who cares what anyone else thinks.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    NC_Girl wrote: »
    I am 54 and I have a skirt that I can now wear but I'm afraid to as I don't want people to think that I'm dressing to young. How do you all feel about this? Any ladies over 50 have some pics to share? Maybe I'll get brave enough to share mine. Or are there some rules for ladies over 50 that I need to know about?

I think it depends on how you feel wearing it, your personality and if it is appropriate for the occasion not your age.

If you are working in an office and no one there wears short skirts and you show up in a short skirt it might not be the best choice even if you were 25 years old. If you are going to a party or the movie theater wearing your shorter skirt or dress likely no one would notice or care.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I don't like "shoulds" short of actual exposure issues, and I don't like judgmental age based rules. As long as yr not actually flashing people, like clothing that is see thru a la prior Lululemon, or has a giant hole in the butt lol, yr fine! There seems to be a segment of the population who believe that once women reach middle age they are less deserving of life enjoyment or cute clothing. How dare we live so long that we get a wrinkle or a gray hair, go hide in a burlap sack lol! nope nope nope. I have worked hard on my body and I have miniskirts and I am bloody well going to wear them. And you can too! :D People telling me I "shouldn't" wear something just makes me want to run right out to Target and get one and run around town in it. I earn the money to pay for my clothes and I wear what I want. And I support your right to wear what you want. Just check for holes in the butt or see thru areas. ;) Sigh, I have sewn up so many holes in hubby's clothes, and he doesn't even know they're there, but that's not ur problem, that's ours. lol.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    How short are we talking here? Body con mini, or a little above the knee? How long have you had said skirt? If it's circa 1980, probably not...LOL

Let's just say this - my Mom is 61 and of average height and weight. If I saw her in a tight mini skirt I'd wonder if she lost her marbles and I needed to find a home quickly...only because this women has NEVER worn anything shorter than her knees her whole life.

Now, on another hand, she has a friend who is 50, and wears things that I wouldn't dare wearing my early 20's. I don't think it's appropriate and people should wear things for their age because if a woman in her 50's still wears things from her 20's she typically looks older than she is. Or trying to be younger than she is.

Happy medium please.

What is it to you? Who is it to you to judge your mother's friend for wearing what she wears? it seems many people are in a hurry to decide what is appropriate for others of any age or size to wear, for whatever reason. You don't know why she does, and it really isn't your business.

A group of lawmakers in North Dakota are trying to make it a felony for women who are caught wearing yoga pants in public three times.
    This is a blatant attempt to blame women for the inability of men to stop seeing them as sexual objects and solely place the blame for rape and sexual assault/harrassment on them. Beliefs like yours only enforce this stereotype.

Stop judging and support everyone's freedom to be who they are. They're only legs a skirt will be revealing, as any pair of shorts would be.

Kind of like the freedom of having your own opinion, right? Especially on the internet.

Way to pick out one phrase of the whole post, bringing it out of context.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Tina Turner could do it!
  • lauries8888
    Options
    [quote="mccindy72;32242511
    This is SO the problem. Learning to love and be yourself is part of setting the example. Doing so for others is as well. Not everyone who looks at you is judging you. Some of them are just looking at you. Some are admiring you and will probably follow your example. This is how trends are set.
    The brave who do things that are not the 'norm' are the ones who change things for everyone else. [/quote]

I love myself. I love that I am a confident, professional woman who can handle challenges and who loves and is loved. But not everyone wants to "change the world" by setting trends. My goal is to change to world by using kindness to make the world a better place than when I came into it and I will fight to make that happen. That is my definition of being "brave". I don't need to wear a short skirt to do that.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you feel great in the skirt, wear it! 54 isn't old.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, the OP asked an opinion on an open forum and I gave it. I have the right to my own opinion.

She's 54, and an adult and she'll do what she wants after all.
  • mikedenali
    mikedenali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Wear that skirt! :p All you need is confidence!

One of my coworkers is getting close to 50 and works it in short skirts and dresses. To be fair, she is 6'0" and basically every skirt or dress becomes short on her frame. But seriously, she looks amazeballs.

Do what makes you happy <3

^^This x2
  • sweetandsassyred
    sweetandsassyred Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Not 50 yet but I plan on it. Hey I am working hard to try to get into shape so I think it's fine.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I love myself. I love that I am a confident, professional woman who can handle challenges and who loves and is loved. But not everyone wants to "change the world" by setting trends. My goal is to change to world by using kindness to make the world a better place than when I came into it and I will fight to make that happen. That is my definition of being "brave". I don't need to wear a short skirt to do that.

Pro-tip: This thread isn't about you.

OP: If someone wants to wear a short skirt, go for it. Of course, there may be times where it's is deemed generally inappropriate, but on a "whatever" sort of day? Sure.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Happy medium please.

Way to pick out one phrase of the whole post, bringing it out of context.

Speaking of taking a post out of context: That poster simply stated her opinion about what a woman in her 50s should and shouldn't wear and you accused her of reinforcing a stereotype that women are to blame for rape??? Try again.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Pro-tip: This thread isn't about you.

OP: If someone wants to wear a short skirt, go for it. Of course, there may be times where it's is deemed generally inappropriate, but on a "whatever" sort of day? Sure.

tumblr_ljd4cq9gig1qiz3j8o1_400.gif
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Long Answer
    The older I get the less I care about what other people think. Of course, it's helpful to know how choices might be interpreted by others and, in some cases ( e.g. career-related) it may be important to manage that. But generally I don't believe in conforming to other people's expectations of me without some other compelling factor. Living in northern California might have something to do with that because doing your own thing is a way of life here.

Short Answer
    Skirts, yes.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I do not have a picture to post. But my wife is a professional and is 50 years. She wears skirts that are above the knee all the time. And she looks great.
  • lauries8888
    Options
    "This thread isn't about you" -- ouch TRoberts.

OP asked how women her age feel. I'm her age; I told her how I feel. And then I replied to mccindy who thought that my opinion was part of the problem with society.

My comment is appropriate but is certainly not meant to reflect the opinions of everyone else. I apologize if you feel that I was trying to hijack the thread.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!