Article in the New Zealand Herald this morning. I'm a bit lost for words.

Options

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Just wow.

A story to bring MFP together in agreement on something.

I think the bridesmaid thread is even better for bringing us together :)

• northlandmum
    northlandmum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What a strange solution. Imagine the smell and texture of the contents?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Just wow.

A story to bring MFP together in agreement on something.

I think the bridesmaid thread is even better for bringing us together :)

Heh, yeah, just checked that one out too. No argument from me.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Don't wanna
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the article, but just seeing the headline reminded me of the party scene in Catching Fire when two party goers hand Peeta a pink drink and say, "It makes you sick, so you can go on eating." And he just hands it back and replies, "I think it's time for a dance."
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    So its medicalized bulimia? Sure that sounds like a fabulous idea. WTF?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Don't wanna

Couldn't pay me to.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    n5zm3cl6u3px.gif

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    So you still eat to excess, because if you didn't you wouldn't need it, then you attach a tube to a pump and extract 30% of the food you ate....hahaha. patients must be motivated and monitored, because???? if they weren't they probably wouldn't lose weight, amiright.

Exactly. Where's the incentive to modify behavior if there's no built in mechanism to restrict intake?

Right. And let's face it. If a person is willing to pre-*kitten* following a gorge so s/he can then stuff more in, we're probably not talking about a high degree of motivation/ability to modify behavior in the first place.

I mean...you're willing to have a tube surgically stuffed directly into your stomach and squirt out undigested food rather than simply eat less?

Not foreseeing success in "behavior modification" on one's own here.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    This is gross.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Oh Bob, how will they exercise? Is anyone considering infection? Abuse? WTF?!?!?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Oh Bob, how will they exercise? Is anyone considering infection? Abuse? WTF?!?!?

Great points.
    I love the irony that you only qualify to take part in this perverse experiment if you're motivated to lose weight in a "healthy" way. Wouldn't being willing to participate automatically disqualify you?

But, I gotta say, I'm kind of liking "obesity survivor." I may get that printed on a T-shirt next time I'm at the beach.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OMG. I just ... can't ... even ... Taking on the equivalent of a colostomy bag instead of diet and exercise? #smh (vigorously)
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I hope that the Herald has misinterpreted it somehow, because doing that - in the area that Middlemore services - is just madness. Whatever happened to the Green Prescription program?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Wow. That is demented. Thanks for...whatever the hell I just read.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    There is no way this is worth it for about 50lbs. in the year that they had it (if I'm understanding the article correctly?). Just no way. You can do much better for yourself using practically any other method.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wasn't there a woman in Dying to be Thin (or a similar eating disorder documentary) that when she had a PEG tube (tube to the stomach on the abdomen for inserting liquid food) inserted in order to force her stomach to accept adequate calories overnight because she was refusing to do so during the day, she learned how to make herself 'throw up' through it? Doesn't this seem like someone thought "hey, I bet obese folks might love that!" ugh. ugh. ugh. I read it too and just don't see it in any way being beneficial - not the least of which reasons that like any other way of emptying your stomach, now your stomach feels empty and you'll want more food! Why not just eat more, you can purge it later!

It really does baffle me how we can on one hand say "no no, bulimia is a serious eating disorder, it is not healthy at all!" and then on the other "but well you're morbidly obese? well then let's induce some bulimia to get you thin and healthy!"
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I don't need one, but it seems like it would work even better than other forms of weight loss surgery.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    cresyluna wrote: »
    Wasn't there a woman in Dying to be Thin (or a similar eating disorder documentary) that when she had a PEG tube (tube to the stomach on the abdomen for inserting liquid food) inserted in order to force her stomach to accept adequate calories overnight because she was refusing to do so during the day, she learned how to make herself 'throw up' through it? Doesn't this seem like someone thought "hey, I bet obese folks might love that!" ugh. ugh. ugh. I read it too and just don't see it in any way being beneficial - not the least of which reasons that like any other way of emptying your stomach, now your stomach feels empty and you'll want more food! Why not just eat more, you can purge it later!

It really does baffle me how we can on one hand say "no no, bulimia is a serious eating disorder, it is not healthy at all!" and then on the other "but well you're morbidly obese? well then let's induce some bulimia to get you thin and healthy!"

Yes. It was the HBO special called Thin. That is the first thing I thought of as well.