Article in the New Zealand Herald this morning. I'm a bit lost for words.

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I don't need one, but it seems like it would work even better than other forms of weight loss surgery.

In what way?

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Medical folks are not naive enough to think this won't be abused. Everything is abused. We know that better than most, an we've learned to expect the worst.

No, this was created because it will make someone very rich. I'm just surprised it took so long for someone to try and bring this to market.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How will people know they're pumping 30% of the food out? Even barely digested (just chewed and swallowed, basically), food looks very very different than it did on the plate.

So these people are supposed to somehow guess what 30% of what they just ate is, squirted out of a tube mixed with saliva and masticated down to compact mush?

Meanwhile, as they're pumping food mush out of their bodies in order to not digest it, they're supposed to be learning "lifestyle changes" - or else what? If they miss a "class" will someone come pinch off their tube? Pull it out? Force them to re-eat it? What?

This is all going to be SO easy to monitor.

Yeah, this ought to work out well. And zero potential for abuse..."Have you only been eating x calories and then pumping exactly 30% out?" "Uh yeah, sure." How are they going to check up on you, confiscate your bags and weigh them?

It says in the article that these people are not supposed to learn that they can eat what they want and then just pump it out. How are they supposed to not learn this? By eating what they want and then pumping it out. Oh yeah, and by "agreeing to make lifestyle changes" - which has obviously already worked really well for them in the past.

What a God damned travesty.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Well it would certainly work but it's not exactly going to teach people anything about a healthy lifestyle if you can basically just binge like crazy and then empty it out. That will just encourage more binging. They'll end up in precisely the same cycle that bulimics do
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I just keep thinking of the time before my celiac disease was diagnosed when my body was in the malabsorption phase. I'm familiar with what partially digested food looks like thanks to that time. (I'll spare you all the TMI.)

How will these people get nourishment? That's where I'm going with this. I got very, very sick from only partially digesting food, and it wasn't going on for all that long before I was diagnosed.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    The doctor on Supersize vs Superskinny did a brief segment about this (or something similar) in the beginning of one of the episodes of his show. He went to the US I believe and had dinner with a male participant with the device and he sorta demonstrated how to expell the contents of his stomach, within how much time from eating, and the process of becoming less dependent on the device as he nears closer to goal.

It's on youtube, somewhere in the later seasons. It was an interesting segment, though the doc seemed a little unnerved by it.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    The doctor on Supersize vs Superskinny did a brief segment about this (or something similar) in the beginning of one of the episodes of his show. He went to the US I believe and had dinner with a male participant with the device and he sorta demonstrated how to expell the contents of his stomach, within how much time from eating, and the process of becoming less dependent on the device as he nears closer to goal.

It's on youtube, somewhere in the later seasons. It was an interesting segment, though the doc seemed a little unnerved by it.

Season 7, episode 2. It's where I first saw it, and went looking for it when this was posted yesterday, but it's not on yt anymore. It is on the other assorted places to view programs streaming online.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »

Season 7, episode 2. It's where I first saw it, and went looking for it when this was posted yesterday, but it's not on yt anymore. It is on the other assorted places to view programs streaming online.

Yes I saw that episode and the doc was unnerved by it. I can't remember whether or not the person with the pump still had a regime to follow. That would make (some) sense to me rather than mindless eating.

I want to know how they are going to ever learn an appreciable full signal. At least bariatric patients have that barometer. Which is partly why I don't agree it's a better option than a sleeve etc if you had to rate a better option.

I'm also wondering about stomach acid and messing around with the balance of that.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I take back every mean thing I've ever said about diet shakes and programs that don't count vegetables and those vibrating belt things. I can't believe this idea is gaining traction.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Awesome! So basically people can eat and just have it sucked out like retroactive starvation, lose weight, learn nothing about proper eating habits, reach a goal, stop getting their food pumped out, then gain it all back and repeat the process.

Someone is about to get rich on medical bulimia.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable. Did Dr. Oz create this device by chance?
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Unbelievable. Did Dr. Oz create this device by chance?

Bahahahahaha
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Omfg what the bleeping bleep!!??!!??

Medical bulimia minus the acid damage to the teeth. How the bleep did they ever get that approved?
    I'm flabbergasted
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I have a word - "bulimia".

I mean oh my GAWD it's a HAND PUMP. Can't we just go back to the innocent times of laxatives and fingers down throats?

Exactly what I was thinking after reading the article.

• auntyp147
    auntyp147 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ewwww..... binge and purge all right! Why not teach them to eat 30% less instead of sticking a vacuum in ya. :s
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    auntyp147 wrote: »
    Ewwww..... binge and purge all right! Why not teach them to eat 30% less instead of sticking a vacuum in ya. :s

This.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I understand people trying VLCD. I get that some people, for various reasons, turn to weight loss surgery. But I could not wrap my head around someone doing this. It would truly turn my stomach to know what was going on with theirs.
  • sst036
    sst036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Having got ethical approval for studies on eating disorders in this general area, I'd love to know how they got this through (I'm not bitter, but I really struggled for a fairly simple positive study design with Northern Region X Committee).
  • dollynewme
    dollynewme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just think if you wired your mouth shut you could also save on dentist bills
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I wanted to know who made them because of ^^^^ (sst036's) comment. Thinking they (the company - same people who invented the Segway BTW) must have some grunt to push it through.

Found this which answers a lot of what I was wondering about hunger etc.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/stomach-pumping-machine-makes-calories-disappear/story?id=18164739