Does the term "cutting" bother you?

Options

Replies

• geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »
    geotrice wrote: »
    Nah, what bothers me is people going out of their way to take offense at things that aren't meant to be offensive in the slightest. Way more trouble is caused by irate, oversensitive people looking to be offended than the use of the word "cutting" which was popular in this sense way before it became a popular piece for bad journalists to show false sympathy over.

So something isn't offensive as long as it wasn't intended to be offensive? How does one know what someone else's intentions are if you don't explicitly communicate them? Are you a telepath?

Context. Why are you purposely ignoring this obvious point that has been hand fed to you by most of the responders already?

Thank you for supporting my side. Including context is the answer. I'm not ignoring others' points. I'm fully aware of what "cutting" is intended to mean within the fitness community. But context can be difficult for people to cue into for a variety of reasons. Which is why it should be explicitly stated. For example:
    "Cutting calories"

Calories gives the word cutting context.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Nah, what bothers me is people going out of their way to take offense at things that aren't meant to be offensive in the slightest. Way more trouble is caused by irate, oversensitive people looking to be offended than the use of the word "cutting" which was popular in this sense way before it became a popular piece for bad journalists to show false sympathy over.

So something isn't offensive as long as it wasn't intended to be offensive? How does one know what someone else's intentions are if you don't explicitly communicate them? Are you a telepath?

Well, the reverse is how is someone supposed to anticipate how everyone else might interpret something, especially if it's not, in your view, reasonable.

Sometimes it seems like people go out of their way to claim offense just to get some kind of moral high ground in the discussion. I'm not saying I've never done it, but on the whole I don't think it's helpful, and in particular I think it's best to assume that someone else is not intending to offend when it could easily be innocent.
  • lemurcat12
    edited April 2015
    Options

Context. Why are you purposely ignoring this obvious point that has been hand fed to you by most of the responders already?

Thank you for supporting my side. Including context is the answer. I'm not ignoring others' points. I'm fully aware of what "cutting" is intended to mean within the fitness community. But context can be difficult for people to cue into for a variety of reasons. Which is why it should be explicitly stated. For example:
    "Cutting calories"

I'm not sure it does mean simply "cutting calories." It's more like getting cut, as someone else said. Besides if a shorter form works people usually like it. Why not insist that the self-harm usage be made more explicit?

Anyway, context is usually obvious. In that this is MFP, the usual context is fitness.

If you want to say "cutting calories" or make up a new term and see if it catches on, go for it!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Cutting is a word I'd never use, but I would think there are many, possibly silly, alternatives:
    • Slimming
    • Thinning
    • Leaning
    • Slenderizing
    • Reducing (sounds like a sauce)
    • Defatting (good one from earlier in this thread)

Good luck, fat reducers!

:*
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Reducing is a common one from years ago, isn't it? Sounds kind of '50s to me.
  • Paperchains38
    Paperchains38 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sorry about the spelling mistake i made in my last post i obviously meant self harming not shelf harming. Thank you to the person that pointed it out and hopefully there have been none made in this one.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

"Cutting calories"

The fact the word is used on a fitness website gives it it's context.

You basically want people to assume that others who read their posts might be offended, so to treat them like a three year old and explicitly state every single term that "may" cause offense by being momentarily misread. Yeah. No. I'll assume that the people reading have enough common sense to work out what I am saying or ask if they are not sure.

This is all about you - stop trying to change a term that has been used for decades because you don't like it.

I'm cutting right now.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

This applies to you too. You are so set on it being negative that how do you know it'd be taken negatively? Are YOU a telepath?
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me when I see it used here, because I know the context:
    reducing calories, reducing body fat, etc.

Also, I'm not mentally ill to the point of harming myself, so I wouldn't think of it in that context,
    nor would it be a "trigger" to cause me to harm myself. (Other people's actions don't cause mine
    anyway, I choose to do what I do.)
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options

"Cutting calories"

You are failing to account for actual conversation. How often do you walk up to someone, say one sentence, and leave? How often do you only read one sentence of a forum or blog post?

Generally if you say one sentence to someone, you include all needed information in that one sentence. No one who has any concept of language is going to just say " I am cutting" and leave the conversation.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    No, and have other things to occupy my time with, like cutting up some ham for my western I'm about to have.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    No, and have other things to occupy my time with, like cutting up some ham for my western I'm about to have.

I think you meant to say "reducing body fat in a sustainable, healthy, socially responsible way" for your "patriarchal, oppressive, colonialist" that you're about to have.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

I think you meant to say "reducing body fat in a sustainable, healthy, socially responsible way" for your "patriarchal, oppressive, colonialist" that you're about to have.
    lol, you rock.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

This might be the best thing I've ever read on here.

• kruuTahn
    kruuTahn Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Milk, meet nose.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    If you think that's bad, you definitely won’t like this cutting board… (that I came across while looking for the awesome cutting board/scale thing on page 9 and which apparently isn’t available for purchase, which is really sad)
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options

You win, sir.

im-going-to-cut-you_c_1016606.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You know what's cool. A cutting board with an integrated scale.

cuttingboard05.jpg

Dude.

I would straight up cut a bish for that board/scale.