Does the term "cutting" bother you?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I thought these were diet and fitness forums?

yep. Plain and simple!!

Cutting means something completely different here than it would on a self harming forum..

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    While we're banning the word cutting, we'd better ban people naming their kids Ana and Mia at the same time :*
  • Christine_72
    Options
    While we're banning the word cutting, we'd better ban people naming their kids Ana and Mia at the same time :*

lol I know for a fact that members with those names have had friend requests sent to them by anorexics :disappointed:

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

And we can just rename them with non offensive names like Marge and Ethel.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

And we can just rename them with non offensive names like Marge and Ethel.

Ohh, good idea. And Esther. And Harriet.

Can we get rid of Maverick as a name while we're at it? It just makes me LOL (no offence to anyone here who has named their son Maverick o:) )
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hold on, by that logic, the most precious, easily offended person in the world ought to have everyone cater to their preciousness because to do otherwise would be disrespectful? And to not do so would put you in the wrong?

That's not how the world works. Joss forbid it ever starts to work that way.

Forgive me, I'm trying to parse that. Yes, and yes. The second party wants to have a conversation without being offended. If the first party wants to continue after the first offense and not continue offending, it will change its terms to be non-offensive. If it doesn't change terms then the second party will continue to be offended. For example the first party uses the term "Trekkie". The second party tells the first party that "Trekkie" is offensive and that they prefer "Trekker". The first party can continue using "Trekkie" and the second party will be offended because the first party doesn't respect the values of the second party. Or the first party can change to "Trekker" and not cause offense to the second party.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    Hold on, by that logic, the most precious, easily offended person in the world ought to have everyone cater to their preciousness because to do otherwise would be disrespectful? And to not do so would put you in the wrong?

Forgive me, I'm trying to parse that. Yes, and yes. The second party wants to have a conversation without being offended. If the first party wants to continue after the first offense and not continue offending, it will change its terms to be non-offensive. If it doesn't change terms then the second party will continue to be offended. For example the first party uses the term "Trekkie". The second party tells the first party that "Trekkie" is offensive and that they prefer "Trekker". The first party can continue using "Trekkie" and the second party will be offended because the first party doesn't respect the values of the second party. Or the first party can change to "Trekker" and not cause offense to the second party.

Why would the first party even bother? They would find another party to talk to and leave second party by the spinach dip, all by themselves.

No one likes a whiner.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I'm not mentally ill, so words do not bother me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

What if I'm offended by the second party taking offence to everything I say?
  • Christine_72
    Options

:wink: ditto that....

I'm starting to wonder if OP is studying debating or philosophy or the like...

• geotrice
    Options

What if I'm offended by the second party taking offence to everything I say?

Figure that out and you get a Nobel Peace Prize.
  • geotrice
    Options

Nope. Good guess though. ;-)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Thinking about this, as a Trekkie, I'd be offended if I was speaking to someone who held themselves out as a Star Trek fan but wanted to be called a 'Trekker'. As the term I relate to is the more commonly used and accepted term, their adoption of a slightly different and- evidently in their opinion - superior term by which to identify themself, I would say in that situation I would be the legitimately offended party and would thus become person B in that scenario.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Why would the first party even bother? They would find another party to talk to and leave second party by the spinach dip, all by themselves.

No one likes a whiner.

This, but also - there has to be a line drawn somewhere. You have to, at some point, expect people to take control of their feelings and not expect others to cater to them. It's part of being an adult. Being offended is a choice.

Anyway, the worst words out there in the world are musk/musky.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

You give him way too much credit.
  • Christine_72
    Options

No one likes a whiner.

This, but also - there has to be a line drawn somewhere. You have to, at some point, expect people to take control of their feelings and not expect others to cater to them. It's part of being an adult. Being offended is a choice.

Anyway, the worst words out there in the world are musk/musky.

Nuh uh. The worse words are Panties and puss/infection :tongue:

It gives me the creeps when men or women say 'panties' :confounded:

• brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i'm cutting a fart reading this