CICO or Eating Clean?

Options

Replies

• kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    puja25 wrote: »
    I know the term 'clean eating' is an ambiguous term . It means different to different people. When I say I eat clean I mean I try to stay away from refined starch, sugar, unhealthy saturated fats. I rely a lot on cooking my own food at home, eating healthy fats , vegetables, fruits, pulses legumes and protein. Clean Eating is more of a holistic term for me. I was eating a lot of junk before starting out on mfp. So that is my vantage point of saying I eat clean now.

What are unhealthy saturated fats?
    You stay away from fruit sugar? Or vegetables? If not then how does that sugar differ than a piece of candy?
    What's a refined starch?

Calm down. I'm pretty sure that all these folks are trying to say is that their definition of "clean" food, which is an entirely subjective term, means food with good micronutrient content. Vesus, say, a cheeseburger from Mickey D's, which hits those macros like a M*****f*****, but will leave you feeling like crap after a while of consuming nothing else. Are micronutrients important to lose weight? No. Are they imperative for a body which is healthy in the long term? Absolutely.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You can eat as clean as you want to...but it's still CICO. CICO isn't a "diet"...it's just the math...and weight loss is math. All diets work on the same premise...and that premise is CICO, whether you are counting them are not.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Try both!
  • kmsoucy457
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    I know the term 'clean eating' is an ambiguous term . It means different to different people. When I say I eat clean I mean I try to stay away from refined starch, sugar, unhealthy saturated fats. I rely a lot on cooking my own food at home, eating healthy fats , vegetables, fruits, pulses legumes and protein. Clean Eating is more of a holistic term for me. I was eating a lot of junk before starting out on mfp. So that is my vantage point of saying I eat clean now.

You stay away from fruit sugar? Or vegetables? If not then how does that sugar differ than a piece of candy?
    What's a refined starch?

Calm down. I'm pretty sure that all these folks are trying to say is that their definition of "clean" food, which is an entirely subjective term, means food with good micronutrient content. Vesus, say, a cheeseburger from Mickey D's, which hits those macros like a M*****f*****, but will leave you feeling like crap after a while of consuming nothing else. Are micronutrients important to lose weight? No. Are they imperative for a body which is healthy in the long term? Absolutely.

I asked simple questions and you tell me to calm down? Yet you're the one using profanity. Lol. That's cute. Either answer my questions or keep it moving.

Hey man, I'm with you: a fat is a fat, a starch is a starch, etc. I'm just trying to say that you're telling folks that their opinions are wrong. An opinion is an opinion, not a fact, and therefore cannot be wrong except when presented as a fact; near every poster offering an opinion on 'clean eating' has responsibly prefaced said opinion with the fact that it is just that.

But OK I'll play:
    JarethG wrote: »
    Bacon that has been allowed to rot.
    Schmaltz that has been seeded with salmonella.
    Beef tallow laced with arsenic.
    ^nailed it
    Sugar da debil... it's what makes me ****ing swear so much
    That spray starch you use to keep shirt collars stiff?
  • KevinTheBarbarian
    KevinTheBarbarian Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there isn't a scientific answer one way or the other. For every person saying it's purely CICO there is another who will say it's eating a certain type of calorie not just how much. In the end, eat how you want, evaluate how you feel and it's result on your weight loss and tweak as needed.

Personally, my body feels better if I eat high fat, low card diet...for my wife, it's the complete opposite. Do what you feel good doing.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

What's a refined starch?

Documentary on Netflix called "Fed Up" explains the difference between eating a 160 calorie fruit or 160 calories of candy or soda.
  • SallyinIL
    SallyinIL Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Eat cleanly within CICO.

You said it best.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'd just say I try to eat healthily or focus on homecooked or nutrient dense foods and avoid the whole "clean eating" minefield and the various things people bring to it, but that's just me!

I'm just aware that plenty of foods I think are positive contributions to my diet (like greek yogurt or potatoes or, sure, ice cream) are things that someone out there has decided is "unclean," so really whatever.

I do think trying to eat in a way that promotes health is really helpful to me, including as a strategy to help me make CI<CO and just as a mental motivation.
  • KevinTheBarbarian
    KevinTheBarbarian Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »

What's a refined starch?

Documentary on Netflix called "Fed Up" explains the difference between eating a 160 calorie fruit or 160 calories of candy or soda.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/
  • kmsoucy457
    Options

What's a refined starch?

I asked simple questions and you tell me to calm down? Yet you're the one using profanity. Lol. That's cute. Either answer my questions or keep it moving.

Hey man, I'm with you: a fat is a fat, a starch is a starch, etc. I'm just trying to say that you're telling folks that their opinions are wrong. An opinion is an opinion, not a fact, and therefore cannot be wrong except when presented as a fact; near every poster offering an opinion on 'clean eating' has responsibly prefaced said opinion with the fact that it is just that.

But OK I'll play:
    Bacon that has been allowed to rot.
    Schmaltz that has been seeded with salmonella.
    Beef tallow laced with arsenic.
    ^nailed it
    Sugar da debil... it's what makes me ****ing swear so much
    That spray starch you use to keep shirt collars stiff?

Opinions are opinions and can't be wrong but opinions stated as facts defining foods in general in terms of clean and not clean can most certainly be wrong.

Absolutely correct. Opinions presented as facts are dangerous at worst, but overall posters seem to have done well in this thread to distinguish between the two. Your opinion seems to be that there is no such thing as clean eating by your definition of that term, which is fine, and you certainly must be heard as that point is 50% of this debate; but you present that as a fact. It is an opinion. It's a two-way street. Again, I agree with you completely, food allergies/sensitivities and health conditions notwithstanding. Why are we even fighting?...oh yeah, I started it...

OP - there are some things I do not eat, or eat only rarely because of the way my body reacts to/digests them. I call those foods "dirty", but since that list of food pertains only to me I will not share them with you. I will tell you that my personal list even includes a few fresh vegetables. So if there are foods that your body doesn't like, cut down on them. Otherwise it is indeed pure cico. In my opinion/according to math.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am new to mfp and this my first post here. I would really like it if anybody could clear my doubt regarding Diet and Nutrition. I have read discussions where it says that only cico matters. We can eat everything in moderation. But I have seen that whenever I do not eat whole grain I feel bloated and gain a pound or two although I stay within my calorie limit. Is this bloating/weight gain temporary? I eat clean and exercise 5-6 days a week. But some days I have to have that mac an cheese or that slice of chocolate cake. I see so many people losing weight on mfp but they are not eating clean. How does it work? I am confused

assuming you have no food allergies or medical condition, food type does not matter for weight loss.

what matters is hitting your calorie target, and making sure that you hit macros/micros.

so eat nutrient dense foods like fish, chicken, rice, vegetables etc; but there is nothing wrong with filling your day in with things you like, like ice cream, cookies, candy, mac and cheese etc….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Complicated question bc I would say both are kind of important .

clean eating is totally unnecessary for everything ….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    bgorum wrote: »

What's a refined starch?

LOL …why does this always come up ..

for the millionth time..

160 calories of fruit = 160 calories of candy and or soda from an energy standpoint; however, they are not nutritionally the same.