CICO or Eating Clean?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    LORDY. I hope that the OP got useful information to help her achieve her goals before the usual Thread-Destroyer posse showed up to derail the whole topic.

so debating the topic at hand is somehow not helpful?

who appointed you the the "thread referee"…

enjoy the view from up on above...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    JarethG wrote: »
    Complicated question bc I would say both are kind of important .

Nope.
    you literally cannot deny that quality of foods matters (im not talking specifically about weight loss, which btw, op didnt mention at all in her post)

quality of foods is ambiguous, and therefore means nothing.

Do you mean the difference between industry farmed and organics?
    Do you mean the difference between domestic and import?
    Do you mean the difference between rotted fruit and fresh?

lulz.

no i mean the difference between a cheeseburger and an apple of course

also industry vs. organic makes a difference (pesticides and whatnot) and rotted fruit vs fresh actually has different calorie content, due to fermenting sugars and other chemical processes. There are actually foods that people regularly eat in other countries that would kill you if they were too ripe

In what world would you compare a cheeseburger and an apple? That makes absolutely no sense.

And why would a cheeseburger not be clean?
    are you just asking questions now to try and trip me up?

seriously dude, me and you have had this conversation so many times now, we are never going to agree. i know you dont like to compare individual foods. its one example of how the quality of food (by which i mean macro and micronutrient content) would have an impact on overall health.

put it this way; if i had 2 foods that had the same macro breakdown, but one had a better micro profile, which would be better for you?

it would depend on the rest of your day..

if your micros are already filled then the answer is neither ,as you do not get extra credit for extra micros….

why do we only have to view two foods in the context of an overall daily diet where many foods are being consumed….??

because its the best way to make an example of one healthy food choice. what if someone doesnt track macros? how would they make a healthy choice for a snack, or a meal?

look, i get the context of diet story. you literally cannot mention a single food here without it being pounded into your skull. but HEALTHY foods and UNHEALTHY foods exist. one of one or the other doesnt make or break a diet, but it contributes

Sorry but you are trying to explain your stance by flopping from one argument to the next. Stick to one. Now you say what if someone doesn't track macros? Well we do. Do don't try that argument. Don't make up situations that don't pertain to the people you're talking to.

So based on your super weak argument if my TDEE is 2500 and I ate 2500 but then I added 2 apples to it, are those 2 apples healthy just because they are apples or will I gain weight if I did that every single day?
    where did you get this?

why is my arguement so weak? are you implying that every single food item has the same value to our health?
    this is a CALORIE tracking site, i can garuntee alot of people here only track calories

ok, using your move the goalpost argument then it would just matter that the person is in a calorie deficit, because they only track calories, and their goal is strictly weight loss.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Nope.
    you literally cannot deny that quality of foods matters (im not talking specifically about weight loss, which btw, op didnt mention at all in her post)

lulz.

also industry vs. organic makes a difference (pesticides and whatnot) and rotted fruit vs fresh actually has different calorie content, due to fermenting sugars and other chemical processes. There are actually foods that people regularly eat in other countries that would kill you if they were too ripe

In what world would you compare a cheeseburger and an apple? That makes absolutely no sense.

seriously dude, me and you have had this conversation so many times now, we are never going to agree. i know you dont like to compare individual foods. its one example of how the quality of food (by which i mean macro and micronutrient content) would have an impact on overall health.

put it this way; if i had 2 foods that had the same macro breakdown, but one had a better micro profile, which would be better for you?

if your micros are already filled then the answer is neither ,as you do not get extra credit for extra micros….

why do we only have to view two foods in the context of an overall daily diet where many foods are being consumed….??

Depending on if it is fat soluble vitamins already met for the day and overload of those can get to a toxic levels which would make his example above your comment pretty awfu;.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    LORDY. I hope that the OP got useful information to help her achieve her goals before the usual Thread-Destroyer posse showed up to derail the whole topic.

Can you explain how you have to count calories to lose weight? People can't lose weight without counting calories?

• yopeeps025
    Options

Nope.

lulz.

because its the best way to make an example of one healthy food choice. what if someone doesnt track macros? how would they make a healthy choice for a snack, or a meal?

look, i get the context of diet story. you literally cannot mention a single food here without it being pounded into your skull. but HEALTHY foods and UNHEALTHY foods exist. one of one or the other doesnt make or break a diet, but it contributes

Sorry but you are trying to explain your stance by flopping from one argument to the next. Stick to one. Now you say what if someone doesn't track macros? Well we do. Do don't try that argument. Don't make up situations that don't pertain to the people you're talking to.

So based on your super weak argument if my TDEE is 2500 and I ate 2500 but then I added 2 apples to it, are those 2 apples healthy just because they are apples or will I gain weight if I did that every single day?
    where did you get this?

why is my arguement so weak? are you implying that every single food item has the same value to our health?
    this is a CALORIE tracking site, i can garuntee alot of people here only track calories

Is that a fact or your opinion?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I'd like to see supporting data that a lot of people here only track calories.

What is "alot"?

No one track protein during there weight loss to make sure they maintain muscle mass. Only a select few do that.
  • ndj1979
    edited April 2015
    Options

Nope.

lulz.

where did you get this?

ok, using your move the goalpost argument then it would just matter that the person is in a calorie deficit, because they only track calories, and their goal is strictly weight loss.

how can you discern that there only goal is weight loss? perhaps they simply dont have time or knowledge to count macros

and i didnt move the goalposts, my arguement has been about isolating foods to compare them this whole time, that never changed. im used that example to get you out of your little box of "only the entire diet can be observed, not one single food"

because if you only track calories then it is clear that one would only care about losing weight and making sure that they are in a deficit. What else would be the point of just tracking calories?

Ok - so when you eat cheeseburgers you just eat a cheeseburger all day and that is it? So you then only eat seven foods a week, because you choose the "healthiest" and then just eat that for the day, right?
  • yopeeps025
    edited April 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Nope.

lulz.

where did you get this?

its a fact yopeeps, its a fact.

Rule of thumb is only say what you do. You only count calories great. Not everyone only wants weight loss. I know more people who pay attention to macros more than I do.

• ndj1979
    Options

Nope.

lulz.

where did you get this?

its a fact yopeeps, its a fact.

and you know this fact how?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    well, if someone is only tracking calories, then they only care about a number to hit, ergo food selection is irrelevant, as long as total caloric load is maintained at defined goal state.

not true at all. i counted only calories for a year and i still ate "healthy" foods, since they make you feel fuller and to most people (except a few in this thread apparently) they are obviously better for your health

so your N=1 study proves that the majority on here just track calories???
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    If I eat an apple, things will happen to me that should be labeled TMI.
    If I eat a cheeseburger, I'm fine, meets my goals for the day, and I'll probably have 3 or 4 in a week, because that's where the roll of the grocery dice fell.
    My cholesterol, blood sugar, and vitamin numbers are textbook perfect.

The exact opposite will happen if a vegan eats the apple or the burger. Neither food is healthy or unhealthy. One is healthier for me and unhealthier for the vegan, while the other is unhealthier for me and healthier for the vegan. It's not just that "clean" is so undefinable, it's that you can't even assign foods a specific category that's universal to everyone. I have no specific sensitivity to apples, the entire gastric distress it would bring about would be entirely due to one apple containing more carbs than I've regularly eaten in a day for over a decade.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

What is "alot"?

No one track protein during there weight loss to make sure they maintain muscle mass. Only a select few do that.

*tracks *their

Well, it's already been established that I'm no one. What else is new? Great, it's a dumpster fire here now. Time to stop checking the thread. ew.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    well, if someone is only tracking calories, then they only care about a number to hit, ergo food selection is irrelevant, as long as total caloric load is maintained at defined goal state.

not true at all. i counted only calories for a year and i still ate "healthy" foods, since they make you feel fuller and to most people (except a few in this thread apparently) they are obviously better for your health

"Healthy" foods are better for your health?

Seems circular.

But isn't the question why a cheeseburger is less healthy than an apple (or why it's apparently not an option to have both, as I would).
  • yopeeps025
    edited April 2015
    Options

What is "alot"?

*tracks *their

Well, it's already been established that I'm no one. What else is new? Great, it's a dumpster fire here now. Time to stop checking the thread. ew.

So you comment to break the rules. (CAPS police) You won't answer my question about your first comment. The MFP way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    It's not just that "clean" is so undefinable, it's that you can't even assign foods a specific category that's universal to everyone.

+1
  • tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    CI<CO = 95 lost for me since Feb 2014.. I still eat a fun size candy bar(or 3) on occasion but its rare, never more then 1 time per month. I also use nutrisystem food as a base for most of my meals. But I'm careful to eat within my recommended calories everyday, and I almost never eat my fitbit calories, but sometimes do.

PS our local Costco in Edison has nutrisystem gift certs on sale right now, 100 worth of food for 60 bucks. Hot damn. Best of luck to you in your quest :smiley: