CICO or Eating Clean?

Options
1235»

Replies

• CandiceMcD
    CandiceMcD Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    For me, I find that CICO is awesome - but I do FEEL better on the days that I am eating the healthier options to fit into those calorie goals rather than something more processed. I tend to retain more water on those processed days as well.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Healthy is very subjective.

You could eat all the vegetables and non-processed foods in the world, but if your family has a history of heart disease, guess what. If your family has a history of high cholesterol, yep.

Sadly there are people out there that believe that because I ate a chili cheeseburger instead of a 6oz chicken breast with brown rice and veggies that I just shaved off 2 years of my life.

It doesn't work that way.
  • Zyphun
    Zyphun Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    CICO for me, but I have also been trying to eat better. For me food is an addiction. I could eat my calories with brownies (oh how I loved thee), but I would feel terrible. I would end up eating more to feel better and you get where that goes. I eat foods I enjoy, but that are also beneficial in someway to my over all health. Eventually it will be clean eatting, but that is not the way I lose weight.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    a bit of both is what I do

I just naturally tend to eat "clean" i dont really try to its just what I like
    however I do eat candy & "junk" sometimes to

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    LORDY. I hope that the OP got useful information to help her achieve her goals before the usual Thread-Destroyer posse showed up to derail the whole topic.

so debating the topic at hand is somehow not helpful?

who appointed you the the "thread referee"…

enjoy the view from up on above...

Do you have name for everyone who has different view than yours?

thread police
    white knight
    thread referee

EDTA : That use to happen in my middle school. Carry On.
  • 2muchfnsugar
    2muchfnsugar Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    CandiceMcD wrote: »
    For me, I find that CICO is awesome - but I do FEEL better on the days that I am eating the healthier options to fit into those calorie goals rather than something more processed. I tend to retain more water on those processed days as well.

OMG Candice!!!! You did NOT just say "healthier"!! Have you READ this post??? You're going to be torn to shreds!!! :D:D:D
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    LORDY. I hope that the OP got useful information to help her achieve her goals before the usual Thread-Destroyer posse showed up to derail the whole topic.

so debating the topic at hand is somehow not helpful?

who appointed you the the "thread referee"…

enjoy the view from up on above...

Do you have name for everyone who has different view than yours?

thread police
    white knight
    thread referee

EDTA : That use to happen in my middle school. Carry On.

I have more but they are not appropriate for MFP …

also, what view was this poster taking as it relates to the OP???
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    CICO is math. "Clean" is philosophy.

Two different things.

You have to meet CICO to lose weight - there's no way around this. "Clean" - whatever that may mean to you (different people have different definitions) can be part of your way to meet CICO.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    bgorum wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    puja25 wrote: »
    I know the term 'clean eating' is an ambiguous term . It means different to different people. When I say I eat clean I mean I try to stay away from refined starch, sugar, unhealthy saturated fats. I rely a lot on cooking my own food at home, eating healthy fats , vegetables, fruits, pulses legumes and protein. Clean Eating is more of a holistic term for me. I was eating a lot of junk before starting out on mfp. So that is my vantage point of saying I eat clean now.

What are unhealthy saturated fats?
    You stay away from fruit sugar? Or vegetables? If not then how does that sugar differ than a piece of candy?
    What's a refined starch?

Documentary on Netflix called "Fed Up" explains the difference between eating a 160 calorie fruit or 160 calories of candy or soda.

That mockumentary is mostly woo, and predicated on the viewer being too ignorant of basic science to identify the inaccuracies being promoted.

You'd also have to be pretty ignorant to not know about fiber, aka "natures broom", or sugar's drug-like effect on the human brain as documented by various scientific studies. But please continue to spew your insults Dr. Jareth. As a scientist, I'm sure you can set us all straight. But you honestly sound like a smoker getting ticked off because someone just said smoking causes cancer. Addicts never want to admit to the harm being done by their addiction.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    puja25 wrote: »
    I know the term 'clean eating' is an ambiguous term . It means different to different people. When I say I eat clean I mean I try to stay away from refined starch, sugar, unhealthy saturated fats. I rely a lot on cooking my own food at home, eating healthy fats , vegetables, fruits, pulses legumes and protein. Clean Eating is more of a holistic term for me. I was eating a lot of junk before starting out on mfp. So that is my vantage point of saying I eat clean now.

What are unhealthy saturated fats?
    You stay away from fruit sugar? Or vegetables? If not then how does that sugar differ than a piece of candy?
    What's a refined starch?

Documentary on Netflix called "Fed Up" explains the difference between eating a 160 calorie fruit or 160 calories of candy or soda.

That mockumentary is mostly woo, and predicated on the viewer being too ignorant of basic science to identify the inaccuracies being promoted.

You'd also have to be pretty ignorant to not know about fiber, aka "natures broom", or sugar's drug-like effect on the human brain as documented by various scientific studies. But please continue to spew your insults Dr. Jareth. As a scientist, I'm sure you can set us all straight. But you honestly sound like a smoker getting ticked off because someone just said smoking causes cancer. Addicts never want to admit to the harm being done by their addiction.

here we go …

please post human studies showing "sugars drug like effect on the human brain"
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've combined both successfully and feel great. I'm 46 and lost 23 pounds since January eating clean, natural foods and counting calories.
    Hubby and I eat very little processed foods or foods with refined sugars. We shop the perimeter of the grocery store, and buy fresh meats, fruits and veggies locally at our Farmer's market when possible.

I don't consider it dieting, but making healthier food choices and being more aware of the calories I'm eating to help me reach a goal weight and maintain it!

Find what works for you and stick with it.
  • Russandol
    Russandol Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I count any food I haven't dropped on the floor as "clean". It's also "clean" if it's been on the floor less than five seconds or if no one saw me drop it. :D I think that's why I have so few colds - I keep my immune system on its toes!

Seriously, why do people feel the need to torment themselves with needless restrictions and utterly arbitrary rules (that are based on woo and broscience)? CICO, people. Some minor tweaks to ratios can be made to suit the individual, but in the end, it's just calories in and calories out.