FREE 6-week online course in Nutrition thru UCSF starts 6/24

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Another good course, offered through University of Pittsburgh via Coursera: Nutrition and Physical Activity for Health.

https://www.coursera.org/course/nutritionforhealth

I completed the Fundamentals of Human Nutrition course a couple months ago and found it to be very educational and beneficial. The online lectures/exams make it easy to do the coursework at your convenience and if there's an online textbook involved, you can save the material to your computer for future reference. Although there's no actual college credits involved, they're free courses and a great way to expand your personal knowledge.
  • themrsbriggs
    themrsbriggs Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    me too!!! looking forward to it! thanks!!
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sajeffe
    sajeffe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I went to that website but it's just a link to sign up for the course. How can I look at some of the course info?

I'm pretty sure if you just go to coursera.org, you'll see what all they offer. Near the top somewhere, it will say "Explore Courses" or maybe just "Courses."
  • sajeffe
    Options
    just signed up!! how exciting! Anyone know if you can do anything for real with the certificate?

No, not really. You can put it on your resume, but this form of education is still too new to know how employers will react. Shows initiative though. I'm in it for the knowledge more than the certificates, but I strive for the certificate in two courses at a time for the most part. Right now I'm taking Social Epidemiology as well as History of Rock. I recently finished up with a course about the brain and another one about genes. :)
  • sajeffe
    Options
    I went to that website but it's just a link to sign up for the course. How can I look at some of the course info?

I'm pretty sure if you just go to coursera.org, you'll see what all they offer. Near the top somewhere, it will say "Explore Courses" or maybe just "Courses."

My bad. I just read your question again and realized I read it wrong. At this link: https://www.coursera.org/course/nutrition, on the right side at the top is a video you click on for course intro.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll sign up.
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I will look at it more. I have a watch list started though. looks interesting to say the least
  • nak1a
    nak1a Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain the format of taking this course? Do you just gain access to lectures and notes? Is it interactive? Thanks. I signed up, knowledge is power! :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    looking at her signature thing on nutrition. I bet someone in her family either has, or died from GI related problems.

Not being mean but when health care providers specialize in something it is usually something that has affected them.

Mine is oncology
  • socialite51
    Options
    Thanks..just signed up..:flowerforyou:
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Can someone explain the format of taking this course? Do you just gain access to lectures and notes? Is it interactive? Thanks. I signed up, knowledge is power! :)

Each week, you get access to the lectures and pdf of slides used. The lectures are divided into small chunks to allow for our increasingly short attention spans. In some courses, the lectures are actually less than 5 minutes and there are a bunch of them. Most, however, are in chunks of 10-15 minutes and you have 4-8 of them. Watch them when you have time. If you're going for the certificate of completion, there will be homework assignments and quizzes to complete on a deadline. Homework in this course is peer reviewed -- which also means you will have to review the work of some of your peers. Some courses have midterms and finals. Interactivity is through the course discussion forums, which are active in all of the courses. Many of these courses have tens of thousands of students from all over the world. Give it a try and see what you think.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

Each week, you get access to the lectures and pdf of slides used. The lectures are divided into small chunks to allow for our increasingly short attention spans. In some courses, the lectures are actually less than 5 minutes and there are a bunch of them. Most, however, are in chunks of 10-15 minutes and you have 4-8 of them. Watch them when you have time. If you're going for the certificate of completion, there will be homework assignments and quizzes to complete on a deadline. Homework in this course is peer reviewed -- which also means you will have to review the work of some of your peers. Some courses have midterms and finals. Interactivity is through the course discussion forums, which are active in all of the courses. Many of these courses have tens of thousands of students from all over the world. Give it a try and see what you think.

oh my god peer reviewed?

in b4 **** storm. maybe ill take it to make ppl mad lol
  • sajeffe
    Options

oh my god peer reviewed?

in b4 **** storm. maybe ill take it to make ppl mad lol

Yeah, actually, there is that risk, but what I've experienced is that most people who take the courses aren't *kitten*. That said, I like the courses that don't have peer-reviewed homework better. I mean, that's a variable that isn't quite figured out yet, I think.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Bump.
  • OtterAmber
    OtterAmber Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also signed up for Nutrition, Health, and Lifestyle: Issues and Insights by Jamie Pope through Vanderbilt University. It has already started but you can access all the information.

Thanks for posting this :) what an amazing resource
  • sajeffe
    Options
    I also signed up for Nutrition, Health, and Lifestyle: Issues and Insights by Jamie Pope through Vanderbilt University. It has already started but you can access all the information.

Thanks for posting this :) what an amazing resource

Indeed. Here's the link to the thread on the Vanderbilt course as well as Child Nutrition course. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975551-vanderbilt-stanford-free-nutrition-courses And, as someone else mentioned, there's another course that starts next month on nutrition and fitness. coursera.org

[I'm not a coursera affiliate in any way. I just like to promote learning and coursera and edx.com make it easy.]
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Bump.
  • sajeffe
    Options
    Bump.