Is it OK to fast for one day?

Options
mmatusevici1
mmatusevici1 Posts: 11 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hello, i was wondering if water fasting for one day is not harmful for health? I was thinking to give a short period of rest for digestive organs, and an opportunity for me to meet my weekly calories goal since I am a bit over my goal this week?

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    One day won't hurt. I pretty much did that during my colonoscopy prep since I'm a vegetarian and jello wasn't an option for me and I just drank sugar free ginger ale and water the day before. Well, and my prep.

HOWEVER... you don't need to "rest" your organs or anything like that.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Why? :huh:
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Anything is OK for 1 day. It won't accomplish anything, but it won't harm you.
  • mmatusevici1
    mmatusevici1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

I am over my weekly goal for about ~1400kcal, so I was thinking of fasting for one day to meet my weekly goal
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I am over my weekly goal for about ~1400kcal, so I was thinking of fasting for one day to meet my weekly goal

That's a disordered way of thinking.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

That's a disordered way of thinking.

agree….

OP - just eat normally for the day and then get back on track the following week ...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    "Water fast" - the new name for starving. Let's call it what it is, hmm?

So is it ok to starve yourself for a day to get back under calorie goal for the week? Well, it won't do you any harm, physically. But is that really where you want to go? "I've overeaten, so I'll just not eat for a day" can quickly become "It's ok, I can overeat, then just not eat for a day".

I personally, wouldnt. I'd eat light, but I'd cop being over a bit and the results. I think starving for a day after going over goal is a massive slippery slope which can lead to disordered thinking and eating. Keep in mind, 1400 over for the week is likely still much under maintenance and will still result in a loss (if that's where your goals are set).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    "Water fast" - the new name for starving. Let's call it what it is, hmm?

So is it ok to starve yourself for a day to get back under calorie goal for the week? Well, it won't do you any harm, physically. But is that really where you want to go? "I've overeaten, so I'll just not eat for a day" can quickly become "It's ok, I can overeat, then just not eat for a day".

I personally, wouldnt. I'd eat light, but I'd cop being over a bit and the results. I think starving for a day after going over goal is a massive slippery slope which can lead to disordered thinking and eating. Keep in mind, 1400 over for the week is likely still much under maintenance and will still result in a loss (if that's where your goals are set).

^This.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Bonkers, its really not a sensible thing to do. water is your friend, it cna help you feel full, it enables your body to work efficiently, it has zero calories.

Look up dehydration.

Will you also be going on an oxygen fast?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You will still live, but there is no good reason to do this. Also, organs do not need a rest.
    Start the next day with your regular calories for the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Bonkers, its really not a sensible thing to do. water is your friend, it cna help you feel full, it enables your body to work efficiently, it has zero calories.

Look up dehydration.

I think OP means she is just going to drink water for a day and not eat solid foods…

but I could be wrong...
  • DeFYneME
    DeFYneME Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Why? just eat food and workout!!! food was meant to enjoy ( in its limits) and the body is meant to be taken care of! water is essential but doesn't replace food!
  • DeFYneME
    DeFYneME Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you're over your weekly goal, add an extra 10-15 minutes to your workout. don't starve yourself one day to then overeat the next!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    First: Increase your daily calories and lower your weight loss goals.
    Second: Do not do feast or famine -- it is disordered. Try to be moderate. Instead of kind of punishing yourself for going over some relatively "random" number, nourish your body with calories.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »

Look up dehydration.

I think OP means she is just going to drink water for a day and not eat solid foods…

but I could be wrong...

That's what I thought, too, but water *does* have weight so idk...
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 571 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Like most people have said, just get back on the horse and make today a little bit better. Accept that you've eaten more than you wanted to, no guilt, no punishment, just accept it, move on and make today better.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Water fast if you feel you must... But as you can see from the other posts, this is totally not necessary.

And BTW this is not a water fast. It it basically a 24 hour fast with no food (calories) and you can pick back up where you left off.. Totally not necessary though..

• qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 220 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I used to fast from food once a week for religious reasons. It won't hurt you.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How much do you have MFP set to lose per week?

If you're set at one pound per week, your "goal" includes a 3500 calorie deficit built in ... so if you're 1400 cals above that goal, you still have a 2100 calorie deficit for the week.