Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Why? :huh:

I am over my weekly goal for about ~1400kcal, so I was thinking of fasting for one day to meet my weekly goal

That's a disordered way of thinking.

Why is it? There is nothing unhealthy about fasting for a day or staying within a weekly calorie goal, so what makes using a healthy tool to meet a healthy goal disordered?

What makes refusing to eat based on a perceived overage (which may or may not be real based on the information provided) a "healthy tool"?

Without the same knowledge of specific calorie goals/counts, what makes it unhealthy or disordered?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Just wanted to throw in there that fasting is NOT a good course of action for diabetics.

Yes, quite true.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    OP just wants to run the numbers so that she is in check with her weekly goals. If you want to call it punishing her self, intermittent fasting protocol for 1 day, or whatever ... If you think she has disordered thinking then that is all a matter of opinion.. which we all know what "opinions are"!! ;);)

but the bottom line is she wants to know if she can fast just one day and and not die.

Answer is yes and I am sure she is grown up enough to know if she needs to eat food if she starts to feel funky...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I am over my weekly goal for about ~1400kcal, so I was thinking of fasting for one day to meet my weekly goal

Why is it? There is nothing unhealthy about fasting for a day or staying within a weekly calorie goal, so what makes using a healthy tool to meet a healthy goal disordered?

What makes refusing to eat based on a perceived overage (which may or may not be real based on the information provided) a "healthy tool"?

Without the same knowledge of specific calorie goals/counts, what makes it unhealthy or disordered?

You attempted to answer a question with a question ... therefore you didn't answer at all.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    sm4astan wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting is a proven strategy for weight loss. There are countless articles on the topic about how to use them and timing their use effectively. I don't use them all that often, but from time to time I do. I fasted yesterday until dinner, then ate normally afterwards. Sunday I worked out at gym for 90 minutes and ate a bit above my normal maintenance level, but still healthy.

Here's the basic idea:

Day 1: Eat a bit above maintenance (if you get in a good workout, all the better) to get your metabolism (think of it as your furnace) going good.
    Day 2: Fast for a period of time, longer the better. Your furnace is still stoked from Day 1 and is expecting a similar day (food/exercise) so it's going full tilt but since you aren't eating, you burn remaining carbs then fat during the day.

That isn't IF what she is trying to do, it's punishment for over eating.

1 day of eating above maintenance isn't going to be increasing your metabolism like you suspect.

It's not really a punishment unless OP sees it as so. Originally IF was tried with a true fast, and it was proven healthy, but people found it too hard which affected their adherence, and only then was a 25% fast introduced.

I use water fasting as a tool sometimes, and I actually prefer it in some cases.

OP if you want to do this out of guilt, then I don't recommend that. It may fuel a vicious cycle of guilt and overeating, and you don't want to go there. If you feel that it would be an easy tool to regulate your calories, then go for it. A day or two of not eating won't kill you if you approach it from the right angle.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

You attempted to answer a question with a question ... therefore you didn't answer at all.

Funny! :D
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

No ... sad but true and revealing of your inablity to support your position.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello, i was wondering if water fasting for one day is not harmful for health? I was thinking to give a short period of rest for digestive organs, and an opportunity for me to meet my weekly calories goal since I am a bit over my goal this week?

No, it's not harmful to your health (assuming no relevant medical condition). The human body evolved specifically to handle fasting situations just fine - that's why we're so good at storing excess calories.
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    It's not necessary, and your body will respond by storing fat/nutrients, so it may be counterproductive from that perspective. Sure, the cal count will be low, but for one week, I'd just accept it and move on.

As another posted stated, it can lead to a slippery slope you do not want to start.

Good luck!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

par for the course with that one..
  • Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015
    Options

No it's not (assuming no relevant medical condition).

If anything, that one day of fasting leads to jumping to such a conclusion is itself a disordered way of thinking about food.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

My "posiition"? Do you mean the question I asked, that was answered with a question? ;)
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    It's not necessary, and your body will respond by storing fat/nutrients...

How is it going to store "fat/nutrients" when it isn't being given any "fat/nutrients"?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

If anything, that one day of fasting leads to jumping to such a conclusion is itself a disordered way of thinking about food.

so it is totally normal for someone to freak out about being slightly over on calories for the week and then do a 24 hour water fast? That is not disordered, really?

• Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

so it is totally normal for someone to freak out about being slightly over on calories for the week and then do a 24 hour water fast? That is not disordered, really?

You're jumping to all kinds of whacky conclusions - the only "freak out" in this thread has been from a couple of responders. (Looks at post above....*chirp*....)

OP realized she was over-consuming, and is making a perfectly healthy, reasonable mid-course adjustment. The only thing "disordered" about it is people thinking that implementing basic self discipline reflects disordered thinking.

Good luck OP!

:drinker:

• Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I think some people are being a little quick to jump on the "disordered thinking" bandwagon. Not everything is a slippery slope to an ED. She overate, and now wants to fast for a day to make up for it. She never mentioned "punishing" herself. How is it really any different than someone forgoing dessert at night because they went over their calories for the day? The timeline is just being stretched out to a week.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    If people looked at her diary it wouldn't be hard to figure out what is going wrong.

She has a calorie goal of 1151 with only 3lbs to lose. In her picture she already looks thin.

I think the girl is hungry!