Is it OK to fast for one day?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    If people looked at her diary it wouldn't be hard to figure out what is going wrong.

She has a calorie goal of 1151 with only 3lbs to lose. In her picture she already looks thin.

I think the girl is hungry!

4f4b7b8cce3a920b9263179cb28d7c822cdfaa49e6bcaa2fe215a34a2fc727c8.jpg
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    First: Increase your daily calories and lower your weight loss goals.
    Second: Do not do feast or famine -- it is disordered. Try to be moderate. Instead of kind of punishing yourself for going over some relatively "random" number, nourish your body with calories.

Has anybody noticed she has set her daily calories to 1150 per day?! And she only needs to lose 3 more pounds?! I think her "overeating" is more of her body saying FEED ME!!

No OP, you don't need to do any fasting. Maybe you don't even need to continue to lose those 3 lbs...
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    For me if I fasted for a whole day I would binge eat the next. Wouldn't work for me. I'd be worse off.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A likely large deficit resulting in a very low daily caloric goal that seems out of line with her desired weight loss ... yet people rush to say go for it without any regard to if that course of action is healthy or not. Another normal day on MFP.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Hello, i was wondering if water fasting for one day is not harmful for health? I was thinking to give a short period of rest for digestive organs, and an opportunity for me to meet my weekly calories goal since I am a bit over my goal this week?

Again ... what did you set as your weekly loss goal? Why such a small daily caloric goal with a ticker that says 3 pounds to lose? What exercise do you do during the week?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread is on par with the usual MFP... and the usual suspects... Never change MFP... Never change.
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do not see any problem with fasting for one day. I fast all the time. I do different time frames as a way to control calories....12-24-36 hour fast. I do not have a eating disorder and I am not punishing myself. It's not going to hurt you as long as you don't have other health issues like blood sugar etc. If you start to feel bad just then eat something. I am not sure if most people even know what being hungry actually feels like.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Why? :huh:

I am over my weekly goal for about ~1400kcal, so I was thinking of fasting for one day to meet my weekly goal

That's a disordered way of thinking.

This is basically zig-zagging. Plenty of people "save" calories for the weekend.

OP - fasting a day here and a day there is fine. But it can be hard. You might plan a couple of nutritious snacks for that day. You won't get the whole 1400 back, but you don't want to be light headed either.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Even after the OP's extremely low daily caloric goal and 3 lbs left to lose are highlighted in the thread, people continue to blindly give her "you go girl" type of advice.
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just eat wisely for the reminder of the week and kick the exercise up.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Even after the OP's extremely low daily caloric goal and 3 lbs left to lose are highlighted in the thread, people continue to blindly give her "you go girl" type of advice.

Isn't MFP great like that? :laugh:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    fasting for weight loss is just stupid.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I think some people are being a little quick to jump on the "disordered thinking" bandwagon. Not everything is a slippery slope to an ED. She overate, and now wants to fast for a day to make up for it. She never mentioned "punishing" herself. How is it really any different than someone forgoing dessert at night because they went over their calories for the day? The timeline is just being stretched out to a week.

I fail to see the comparison between skipping a 300 calorie dessert and a 24 hour water fast....

massive logic fail...

• ndj1979
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

I am over my weekly goal for about ~1400kcal, so I was thinking of fasting for one day to meet my weekly goal

No it's not (assuming no relevant medical condition).

If anything, that one day of fasting leads to jumping to such a conclusion is itself a disordered way of thinking about food.

so it is totally normal for someone to freak out about being slightly over on calories for the week and then do a 24 hour water fast? That is not disordered, really?

You're jumping to all kinds of whacky conclusions - the only "freak out" in this thread has been from a couple of responders. (Looks at post above....*chirp*....)

OP realized she was over-consuming, and is making a perfectly healthy, reasonable mid-course adjustment. The only thing "disordered" about it is people thinking that implementing basic self discipline reflects disordered thinking.

Good luck OP!

:drinker:

so a 24 hour water fast for going over on calories is totally legitimate, and you see nothing wrong with that line of thinking?

and we wonder who has the disordered view of eating...

Do you just take the obvious ridiculous position, because...?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Bonkers, its really not a sensible thing to do. water is your friend, it cna help you feel full, it enables your body to work efficiently, it has zero calories.

Look up dehydration.

Will you also be going on an oxygen fast?

I think OP means she is just going to drink water for a day and not eat solid foods…

but I could be wrong...

In that case I misread, but why didnt she just put fast instead of water fast?

OP fasting for a day imo is fine, but am not a fan of hunger myself, but it wont do you any harm. I think id just notch it down to experuence and go and exercise or be patient.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Bonkers, its really not a sensible thing to do. water is your friend, it cna help you feel full, it enables your body to work efficiently, it has zero calories.

Look up dehydration.

Will you also be going on an oxygen fast?

I think OP means she is just going to drink water for a day and not eat solid foods…

but I could be wrong...

In that case I misread, but why didnt she just put fast instead of water fast?

OP fasting for a day imo is fine, but am not a fan of hunger myself, but it wont do you any harm. I think id just notch it down to experuence and go and exercise or be patient.

So fasting to lose weight is fine?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This is basically zig-zagging. Plenty of people "save" calories for the weekend.

OP - fasting a day here and a day there is fine. But it can be hard. You might plan a couple of nutritious snacks for that day. You won't get the whole 1400 back, but you don't want to be light headed either.

again, zig sagging does not equal a 24 hour water fast...

zig zagging typically involves eating at maintenance for a day and then eating at a deficit for the next day; or eating at a surplus on lifting days, and a deficit on non workout days...