What am I doing wrong? Less than 16 lbs lost in 4 months (pics)

Options

Replies

• kriskrey
    kriskrey Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! Even in your "updated" photos. If you are eating only 900 calories a day and you are exercising, your body is going into starvation mode where it will hold onto every calorie that it can. Especially women's bodies "like" to have a bit of fat stored so that will be the last thing your body gives up. You will also end up losing muscle because it requires less energy for your body to burn muscle tissue for energy than it does burning fat for energy. If you truly want to build muscle and be lean and toned, bring up your calories and add protein. I am just starting and have a long way to go but I have a background in biology so I do know something about this :-) Good luck and be healthy, no matter what weight you are at!
  • mellowcoton
    mellowcoton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You will likely never look like pictures of fitness models in your daily life, because not even they look like that all the time. Honestly, consuming 900 calories/day sounds like the beginning of an eating disorder to me; you should never go below 1200. If you want to gain muscle and achieve a "hard" body, you need to eat MORE.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    kriskrey wrote: »
    You look fabulous! Even in your "updated" photos. If you are eating only 900 calories a day and you are exercising, your body is going into starvation mode where it will hold onto every calorie that it can.
    No, no, no, no, no. No.

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You will likely never look like pictures of fitness models in your daily life, because not even they look like that all the time. Honestly, consuming 900 calories/day sounds like the beginning of an eating disorder to me; you should never go below 1200. If you want to gain muscle and achieve a "hard" body, you need to eat MORE.

The above in bold is exactly correct. Even fitness models don't look like they do in their photos. The day of a shoot they're typically dehydrated to near dangerous levels, dressed up, made up, and may even have muscle definition airbrushed onto their bodies.

Then of course, they may also photoshopped to further alter their appearance in post-processing.
  • Emmatyan
    Emmatyan Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, people! I think I'll try me best from now on to always reach 1200. Well, at least for a week or so, then I'll look at the result in inches and weight.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Emmatyan wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, people! I think I'll try me best from now on to always reach 1200. Well, at least for a week or so, then I'll look at the result in inches and weight.
    A week isn't enough time to be able to make a judgment.

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Eat a little more, keep lifting, ignore the scale. You'll reach your goal.
  • Emmatyan
    Options

Why so?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Even fitness models don't look like they do in their photos. The day of a shoot they're typically dehydrated to near dangerous levels, dressed up, made up, and may even have muscle definition airbrushed onto their bodies.Then of course, they may also photoshopped to further alter their appearance in post-processing.
    To further amplify: http://www.mikemahler.com/online-library/articles/fat-loss/why-you-dont-look-like-a-fitness-model.html
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Why so?
    Because the body doesn't stabilize in response to changes that quickly.
  • mandy_bird
    mandy_bird Posts: 20 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

The above in bold is exactly correct. Even fitness models don't look like they do in their photos. The day of a shoot they're typically dehydrated to near dangerous levels, dressed up, made up, and may even have muscle definition airbrushed onto their bodies.

Then of course, they may also photoshopped to further alter their appearance in post-processing.

Definitely agree with this! You are going to need to eat more, and learn to ignore the scale. If you want tight, strong muscles (obviously, without steroid use), I'm pretty sure you're going to weigh more than 115 lbs. Simple fact, gaining muscle mass does not mean lower pounds on a scale -- it means more! If your goal is to have a muscular body, you need to seriously be rethinking your daily calorie intake and start rethinking your target weight.
  • Emmatyan
    Options

I mean, I'll see if i gain weight/inches. I know I may not lose them in such short period.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

I mean, I'll see if i gain weight/inches. I know I may not lose them in such short period.

Bad idea, if you increase your calories we would expect a little bump up on the scale just due to having more food in your system and more water in your system. That does not negate that in order to be healthy it is ESSENTIAL that you eat more. 1200 is a bare minimum for that. There is NO WAY you will gain actual fat on 1200 kcals/day.

I also think that you are at a healthy weight and look good. How distressing are you finding your current shape? Is it keeping you from doing things in your life?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

A week isn't enough time to know that what you've eaten that week is the cause of that gain. Or whether that gain is anything more than transient in the first place.

Eat more for a week.
    "Oh, hell, look how much I gained."
    Drop way back down in calories for a week.
    "Sweet, look how much i lost."

It may well be the case that that weight would have gone away anyway, even on the higher calorie target.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You look great, and that's what, half a pound a week or so? Seems right on track for sustainable long-term weight loss.

ETA: The info in the post indicates that you lost 16 lbs, not 9, which is 1 pound a week and freakin phenomenal. You are doing great, and could definitely eat more if you are only eating 900 calories a day. THAT is not sustainable at all, and dangerous to boot. Hard to get adequate nutrition at that level.

Oh, my mistake. 16 lbs in 4 months is not really a great progress, as for me... I don't starve myself, I don't even know why I get so little calories. I just enjoy salads and the mere fact of giving up on cakes and sausages has brought me to that 900/
    You may be wrong about your start weight - it sounds like you didn't actually weigh yourself on Jan 1 so you may have been more than 65. I say this because you've lost over 4 inches in your waist, and usually an inch is roughly 5 lb.

You should be eating at least 1200 calories a day - i hope you are underestimating because 900 is just not enough

Well, I didn't weigh myself, you are right, I was just judging on the photo. 2 years ago I looked like this and had 65, so I assumed I had the same in January.
    I know I have to eat 1200 but should I make myself eat something if I don't feel hungry? I'm not sure about that.

16 pounds in 4 months is FANTASTIC progress! To put this into perspective: I weigh 50 pounds more than you, and I haven't even lost 16 pounds in the past SIX months!

As for eating more...add in a couple more calorie-dense items to your day to bring you up to 1200. Yogurt and peanut butter are excellent for that.
  • Emmatyan
    Options

Bad idea, if you increase your calories we would expect a little bump up on the scale just due to having more food in your system and more water in your system. That does not negate that in order to be healthy it is ESSENTIAL that you eat more. 1200 is a bare minimum for that. There is NO WAY you will gain actual fat on 1200 kcals/day.

I also think that you are at a healthy weight and look good. How distressing are you finding your current shape? Is it keeping you from doing things in your life?

I'm thinking that my way of life doesn't require energy at all. As I have previously said, I spend 15 hours a day motionlessly at the desk, weekends included. So may it be that my body doesn't requite a lot of calories and bare minimum is quite enough?
    Yeah, I don't find myself beautiful and I want to become better. It doesn't keep me from doing things, but I work with models all the time and can't stop myself from comparing)
  • Emmatyan
    Options
    A week isn't enough time to know that what you've eaten that week is the cause of that gain. Or whether that gain is anything more than transient in the first place.

Eat more for a week.
    "Oh, hell, look how much I gained."
    Drop way back down in calories for a week.
    "Sweet, look how much i lost."

It may well be the case that that weight would have gone away anyway, even on the higher calorie target.

Then how do I know I'm doing the right thing?
  • Emmatyan
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

16 pounds in 4 months is FANTASTIC progress! To put this into perspective: I weigh 50 pounds more than you, and I haven't even lost 16 pounds in the past SIX months!

As for eating more...add in a couple more calorie-dense items to your day to bring you up to 1200. Yogurt and peanut butter are excellent for that.

I'm afraid if i get a peanut butter pack in my hands I won't stop until it's empty :D Is youghurt calorie-dense? I thought it's quite light on calories
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I'm thinking that my way of life doesn't require energy at all. As I have previously said, I spend 15 hours a day motionlessly at the desk, weekends included. So may it be that my body doesn't requite a lot of calories and bare minimum is quite enough?
    Yeah, I don't find myself beautiful and I want to become better. It doesn't keep me from doing things, but I work with models all the time and can't stop myself from comparing)

Taking a guess at your height, but......

Your TDEE (what it takes to maintain your current weight at your current activity level) = 1600-1700 cals.

Your BMR (what would sustain you in a coma) = 1300-1400.

You should be a lot closer to 1500 cals than eating less than my 6 year old does.

What it sounds like to meat your goals is to throw the scale away, eat closer to maintenance, do some cardio if you like it and get on a solid lifting program. The scale can be a poor way to judge progress when you don't have much to lose, especially if you're looking for aesthetic changes. Trust the tape measure and the mirror.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

Basically, it takes a lot of energy just to keep the body alive each day. So, for example, it takes a lot of energy to run your brain, your heart, etc. Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the amount of Calories you burn just by being alive (so if you were in a coma and in bed all day you would burn this much. For most of us, the MAJORITY of what we burn is just the day to day living, and exercise or being physically active only adds a small amount to that. Being young and 5'4" your BMR is certainly above 1200 kcals per day. That is why I say there is no way you will gain fat eating that amount.

I think you are going to have to work very hard to keep your head on straight given the industry you work in. It is very hard to keep ourselves from making comparisons, and you are in an industry that is also constantly judging bodies and even the models I'm sure often have tons of insecurities. I think it is super critical that you keep a list of things that matter to you in life and continue check in with yourself that you are making contributions in those areas (e.g., relationships, volunteer work, spirituality, health, adventure, education, finances, etc) and keep an eye on whether your focus on weight and shape ends up getting in the way of those things. I'm just a little bit concerned and you work in a tough industry! Good luck!