The Big Direction

Options
12346»

Replies

• emink57
    emink57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful place you live! Great job with upping your laps! I like the video blogging. Great music! Here are a few of my thoughts in response to your posts: The biggest challenge to change I've found is fear. When you redefine yourself, you will find you don't fit so well in other people's boxes. Even people who love you will want you to change back. It sounds like you've already left behind a few unhealthy friends along with your unhealthy habits. I'm glad you're not trying to run. I haven't been able to run since 1995 with an ankle fusion. After seeing so many people go through hip and knee replacements, maybe that was a good thing I couldn't run. Your exercise video is inspiring- movement feels so good, and so many people stop moving. Good job with the nutrisystem. I like to read about nutrition every day..I'm treating this losing weight as if it will save my life. I like nutriliving.com, for the recipes for the nutribullet. Days when I have too much salt I eat more celery, cucumbers and pineapple, mangoes. Oh, and I drink dark tea (Pu-ehr),or morning thunder from Celestial Seasonings. I was drinking Pu-ehr a lot and realized it is diuretic. (Of course, caffeinated, which you may not want.) The Instinct diet from a Tuft's University researcher really seemed to make sense. As for exercise, Pilates really helped my back, and helps me balance my body. I think it could help yours because the exercises are based on physical therapy. (The guy developed them for WWI vet rehab injuries.) Or you could google back physical therapy and get a few exercises that will give you great relief.) Oh, also egoscue. I heard a personal trainer for the Colts explain that first he teaches his clients to get rid of their pain with egos cue, then he steps them up to different exercises to make them stronger. I was lucky to have someone teach me some egos cue , along with pilates mat exercises. If you lay on your back with your butt against the wall, feet up, straddled in an easy stretch for 5 minutes, your back will feel better soon. I just taught my husband that last week, and he already feels empowered by just that one stretch. Love the videos of the dogs. Thanks for sharing. BETH- PS this pic is of a batic in the arts center at my writer's club. I don't know who made it.It is silk and maybe 4X8ft.1n0g5kuyujnw.jpg
  • emink57
    emink57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • TheBigDirection
    TheBigDirection Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    emink57 wrote: »
    What a beautiful place you live! Great job with upping your laps! I like the video blogging. Great music! Here are a few of my thoughts in response to your posts: The biggest challenge to change I've found is fear. When you redefine yourself, you will find you don't fit so well in other people's boxes. Even people who love you will want you to change back. It sounds like you've already left behind a few unhealthy friends along with your unhealthy habits. I'm glad you're not trying to run. I haven't been able to run since 1995 with an ankle fusion. After seeing so many people go through hip and knee replacements, maybe that was a good thing I couldn't run. Your exercise video is inspiring- movement feels so good, and so many people stop moving. Good job with the nutrisystem. I like to read about nutrition every day..I'm treating this losing weight as if it will save my life. I like nutriliving.com, for the recipes for the nutribullet. Days when I have too much salt I eat more celery, cucumbers and pineapple, mangoes. Oh, and I drink dark tea (Pu-ehr),or morning thunder from Celestial Seasonings. I was drinking Pu-ehr a lot and realized it is diuretic. (Of course, caffeinated, which you may not want.) The Instinct diet from a Tuft's University researcher really seemed to make sense. As for exercise, Pilates really helped my back, and helps me balance my body. I think it could help yours because the exercises are based on physical therapy. (The guy developed them for WWI vet rehab injuries.) Or you could google back physical therapy and get a few exercises that will give you great relief.) Oh, also egoscue. I heard a personal trainer for the Colts explain that first he teaches his clients to get rid of their pain with egos cue, then he steps them up to different exercises to make them stronger. I was lucky to have someone teach me some egos cue , along with pilates mat exercises. If you lay on your back with your butt against the wall, feet up, straddled in an easy stretch for 5 minutes, your back will feel better soon. I just taught my husband that last week, and he already feels empowered by just that one stretch. Love the videos of the dogs. Thanks for sharing.

I'll have to check some of these things out.

Thank you! ;)
  • whatelsecanIsay
    whatelsecanIsay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was always a big guy, and it was almost always because of emotional eating. I would eat because I was depressed, then I'd fall deeper into depression as I gained more weight and would eat to cope with it. I was stuck in a cycle that I couldn't break out of.

Here's a little history:

In 2003, I moved to Vancouver WA and didn't really fit into a group during my final two years in high school. I was pretty lonely and ended up eating a lot.

In 2004 I graduated and started working in a security job. At first it was pretty cool, I learned quickly and was promoted to being in charge of the Midnight shift. I was pretty much in charge of showing any new guys around and teaching them what to do. Some guys that were in their 40-50's didn't like me being in charge. At first they were condescending to me, but when they realized it wouldn't affect me they started to become a bit more harsh. I couldn't understand why people from the main security office kept coming out to "look around" almost on a daily basis. It turns out that the older guys kept submitting complaints about me and they were investigating. The work environment got so hostile, that I ended up leaving. It turns out they had submitted over 200 complaints about me. All of which were very minor, like "Left the office air conditioner on when he left" or "He wasn't wearing his uniform neck-tie at the end of his shift". It was ridiculous.

In late 2005 I started working as a student trainee and going to school for a civil engineering degree. I was excited/scared at first. I was going to school full time and working full time. My boss started to give me more and more duties as other employees either quit or passed away. We were definitely understaffed. Stress started setting in. Sometimes I would skip class and eat at a local fast food restaurant and hide out in my truck. Over time my grades got worse and I ended up dropping from class. The boss was upset and threatened to fire me over it, and for not completing my office duties in a timely manner. I got so stressed that at one point I was hyperventilating and on the verge of tears (which has never happened before). I ended up quitting in 2010.

During all this time, I had a couple of friends, both of whom were pretty big guys, and they liked to go out and eat all the time. I blew most of my money just to be able to hang out with em. I was broke and the bills were piling up. So I ate to deal with the stress.

In 2010 my mom was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (cancer in the bone marrow). She fought it for almost a year. My father and I did our best to take care of her, but it was hard watching someone you love so much, slowly wasting away. She died in the summer of 2011.

In 2013, a day after my birthday, my grandpa (from my fathers side) passed away. I looked up to him so much. He was the reason I have an interest in film and why I started making videos, because he went to film school and was the director of many instructional videos for the Army. He was such a cool guy, and now he's gone.

In 2014 my grandma (also from my fathers side) passed away. It surprised everyone because she was so strong. Everyone made the joke that she would outlive us all. But then, one day she just started to sleep all the time and refused to eat and drink. She died shortly after.

In 2014 my other grandpa (from my mothers side) had a heart attack and passed away. He was so nice to me when I was little. I remember he carved a wooden fishing ship model for me. It was so detailed. Sadly I don't have it anymore.

So yeah, over all these years I've had to deal with depression, stress, anger....

It wasn't always horrible, but really, the past several years have been a blur for me. Nothing was accomplished. I didn't finish school, I don't have money or a job, I'm morbidly obese, and I'm in debt.

I attempted Nutrisystem in 2014 and saw some progress. But then I started to feel depressed and angry all the time (Family/Personal Problems). I ended up falling off the diet and gaining back all the weight I lost and little extra too.

I was angry about falling off the diet, because my father did so much to support me. He really believed I could do it. He wouldn't say it, but I know it was a huge disappointment, I could see it in his face.

I don't know what my current weight is, but I do know it's over 541 pounds because I'm the biggest I've ever been in my life. It's gotten to the point where I struggled to get out of bed. I was worried because I literally struggled to stay awake during the day, and it wasn't because of bad sleep.

But then I was granted a second chance. My dad's brother and his family offered to let me live with them for a bit. They want to help me with my weight loss. They want to offer an environment that will help me stay focused on bettering myself. I'm back on it again. I'm doing the Nutrisystem diet and going strong. As I write this I've been on the diet now for over two weeks.

I'm giving it my all to get my life back on track. I'm doing Nutrisystem, I'm starting to work out, and I do whatever work around the house that I can.

My wish is that I get physically fit, have a decent job, get out of debt, am able to go to college and get a degree in Digital Cinematography (I want to go to Full Sail University) and really live my life how I want to live it. I would love to be a source of inspiration to those that struggle with their weight. I just need to focus on myself for now.

Anyways, I have a Youtube channel called 'TheBigDirection'

It's a vlog (Video Blog) channel documenting myself as I strive to improve. It's really a way to keep honest with myself and my viewers.

I'd really appreciate any support I can get. It'd be awesome if all of you could check out my channel, leave a comment, perhaps some advice on ways to improve?

I know I can't do this alone, but with your help I know I can succeed.

Thanks!

-Ricky

• whatelsecanIsay
    whatelsecanIsay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Ricky
    I understand how you feel.
    I'm female, short and in my 60's now but I have struggled all my life with weight and my image. A very good friend of mine suggested that I try Overeaters anonymous. It saved me from your yo yo dieting,I got lots of support and I could call anyone of the members whenever I felt I was getting off track.
    just a suggestion. You don't know what you don't know until someone tells you!!!!
    P
  • knkirk80
    knkirk80 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just saw this post and watched a few of your videos! You are doing an incredible job and have inspired me to put forth a lot more effort than I have been. Reading about your life is like looking in a mirror, I can relate to so much of it. I'll definitely be keeping up with you and following your progress :smile: Take care!

-Kara
  • emilyrichter0409
    emilyrichter0409 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually lived in the apartment complex right down the road from Full Sail a few years ago! Small world!!
  • TheBigDirection
    Options
    I actually lived in the apartment complex right down the road from Full Sail a few years ago! Small world!!

Small world indeed! :p

Is the campus as nice as the pictures make it out to be?
  • reeves45
    reeves45 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What I see when I watch your videos is a very nice looking young man who wears his heart on his sleeve. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. You seem like an extremely nice person who has harmed no one but himself.
    People will always judge others, get used to it, if it wasn't your weight it would be something else. Unfortunately, there are haters every where.
    Focus on your positives, hold your head up, get out there, don't hide. Those people don't pay your bills, put a roof over your head, bottom line do not hand power over your feelings and how you view yourself over to anyone!!
    Go where you want, hold your head up high, and be proud of the good person you are. You clearly deserve it.
    Good luck on your journey, you got this. I look forward to watching your journey.
  • TheBigDirection
    Options
    reeves45 wrote: »
    What I see when I watch your videos is a very nice looking young man who wears his heart on his sleeve. You have nothing to be embarrassed about. You seem like an extremely nice person who has harmed no one but himself.
    People will always judge others, get used to it, if it wasn't your weight it would be something else. Unfortunately, there are haters every where.
    Focus on your positives, hold your head up, get out there, don't hide. Those people don't pay your bills, put a roof over your head, bottom line do not hand power over your feelings and how you view yourself over to anyone!!
    Go where you want, hold your head up high, and be proud of the good person you are. You clearly deserve it.
    Good luck on your journey, you got this. I look forward to watching your journey.

Thank you! And I am working on it. :)
  • TheBigDirection
    Options
    I Know, I'm Working On It!

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Great progress! I saw you did another lap today!
  • TheBigDirection
    Options
    Great progress! I saw you did another lap today!

Thanks! I'm trying to increase by a lap every week or so. :wink:
  • TheBigDirection
    Options
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    haha cleaning day! yay... that's exactly how I feel too. Love it.
This discussion has been closed.